New to hosting: how to decorate

I was also thinking about liability. If a guest damages something that belongs to an artist or a gallery, then what?

2 Likes

I too am late to this topic, but I’m wondering if the idea of selling art in an airbnb has changed since QR codes are now pretty ubiquitous. I’m an artist and I print some of my art on stretched canvas to keep prices as affordable as possible. I’m curious if you, as hosts, are open to displaying QR codes in your rentals, so let me know. I welcome your feedback.

Here’s my idea:
I’m going to open a Host Partner program on my website where hotst would get a promo code for 10% off their first piece of my artwork on canvas and I would send them a host-specific QR code placard to display next to the art in their rental. Guests can scan the code to order the art and have it drop-shipped to their own house. The best part is that the host will get 10% of every sale their guests make using the host-specific QR code.

Would this be something you would use for extra income? It may still be that people are split down the middle with half finding it tacky and the other half okay with it…

The moderators may close this thread as they often do when someone dredges up a 4 year old post.

Also, advertising isn’t allowed on this forum.

That said, I do quite like your art. But I personally find the idea of upselling to guests to be distasteful and if I were a guest, seeing things for sale in the home I rented with QR codes on them would strike me as tacky. The concept of an Airbnb is that it feels like a home away from home, not somewhere you are being shown things to buy.

However, hosts often have house manuals with recommendations for places to shop and eat and interesting local shops or galleries, along with some business cards, so I could see putting a mention in there like “If you like the painting on the wall, and would be interested in ordering a print of your own, or seeing more of this artist’s work, here is her contact information and QR code.”

1 Like

I live in Western Australia and I’ve decorated the white walls of my Airbnb with local art that I own. I’m proud of my town and state and want to promote it this way.I leave books by local authors too and we have quite a few world renown ones. I also hang framed pics of the flora and fauna, as they can be quite unusual in appearance. I am frequently complimented on the decor. I set the place up thinking about what I’ve learned from other Airbnbs - from the terrible ones in particular and think what I would like in a place. There’s also info on eateries, cafes, how to get around and how to get here.
Guests have also given me great tips that I’ve put to use.

2 Likes

Good idea @muddy. Closing now.