New supplies for every guest

Short Term Rental (like most Airbnb’s) LTR Long Term Rental

Short Term Rental (more like hotels, vacation rental, etc)

LTR - long term rental. Over 30 days typically, more like a room-mate or an agreement with a lease. I STR an apartment above my garage for 1-29 days but don’t go over because I’m not zoned for a 2 family residence and so the city says I can rent there max of 29 unless it’s family. But then I LTR in a typical landlord arrangement a house across town from me.

1 Like

I use kitchen rags that withstand clorex, never sponges as they collect bacteria. I offer only liquid soap as cannot stand the idea touching a predecessor’s germs. (Owners offer what bars they have, mostly used.) I do not provide canned soda as I am against encouraging obesity due to the sugar content. I wish owners would offer 2 rolls of toilet paper. It fricks me out that they think we can go for 10 days with one roll.

I use this for cleaning the rental.

I am in love with a domestic appliance - my old mum would have been proud of me. :slight_smile:

I’m with you, as far as not tossing stuff, especially if it isn’t biodegradable. Sponges can be cleaned and sterilized in the dishwasher. Q: the “unused” toilet paper: as opposed to used???

“Unused TP” = newly opened roll of 450 sheets (or whatever).

“Used TP” is a partly-used roll having fewer sheets because it was opened earlier and used.

1 Like

I supply new individual wrapped sponges for every group of guests. Bought from Sam’s club for about $13 for 21 of them. I also supply little vanity boxes for guests. I leave about 4 boxes every group of guests. Most time they don’t use it but I get good reviews out of it.

I also supply a new (unwrapped) 3M sponge in the kitchen at each turnover of guests, although it’s not my choice or preference. The housecleaner does the shopping and selecting.

But what in the heck are “vanity boxes”?

Hey…“heck” rhymes with “Keck”. :smile:

1 Like

It’s called vanity kit.

In the NYTimes this morning… everything you know about sanitizing sponges might be wrong!

1 Like

That’s clever. I’ve been tempted to offer each guest a fresh bar of soap as it’s one of those nice things of staying at a good hotel (in my perception from childhood days). But I’ve resisted mainly for concerns of wasted half-used soap. I might try out your trick :slight_smile:

1 Like

I love that you have a theater room!

1 Like

We buy nice large Neutrogina bars and cut them into reasonable sizes. They cut well and the cello wrap stays on each piece so that can see it has not been used. Then we use the leftovers ourselves.

1 Like

I like @Gardenhost’s idea of providing a brush. I think that I will add that to the kitchen. I do have a dishwasher, so there isn’t a huge call for things to be hand washed. I live along side the guests, who stay in different rooms, who’s arrivals and departures vary.

WebMD says that microwaving a wet sponge for 2-minutes will sterilize it. How often I change it out varies, depending on how often guests are cooking and cleaning.

I don’t supply bar soap. There is liquid body soap in the shower, along with large pump bottles of shampoo and conditioner; liquid dish soap dispenser in the kitchen and an antibacterial pump container in the bathroom.

There are paper towels and a kitchen towel hanging from the oven handle, and more in a drawer. I change them out every day or so. Guests can grab a new one if they feel the need.

I share the house with my guests, so I change out the TP rolls (I have a two roll holder that I built). When they get low in the guest bath, I take the partials and use them up in my bathroom.

Up to now, I have only been providing facial tissues if a guest requests them, but that might be changing. I am also interested in supplying makeup remover pads, but am wondering what others use, if they supply them?

On the kitchen table is a supply of napkins, along with salt, pepper, tea bags, coffee, sugar, stevia and stir sticks.

There are ziploc bags in the kitchen, along with foil, plastic wrap and parchment paper. I don’t provide plastic food storage containers, but there may be some in the cabinets that have been left by previous guests.

Here is a new one, that I didn’t even realize that I had available… I recently had a professional tennis player stay for a night. The next morning, I noticed that he was putting my blue ice-packs back in the freezer. They are the kind that are still flexible when they come out of the freezer, so you can wrap them around a hand, or lie down and put them against your back and it doesn’t feel like a rock. He was very thankful that I had them available. :wink:

I am probably forgetting something… but those are the basics that I have available for guest. Surely, guests don’t consider any of this when the give me four stars for the “value” rating.

I didn’t know this was a thing! Brilliant!

1 Like

I would like a guest to start with. Then one might consider investing in sheets or whatever!