New supplies for every guest

I don’t use sponges, prefer dishcloths. I buy a pack of 10 sponges for a buck at the dollar store. Provide new one for each new set of guests. Figure time and effort to clean used ones not cost-effective, nor environmentally neutral. My ratings are still low on cleanliness due to a spider web on the ceiling, not sure that the guest would be able to contact any infection from spiderweb unreachable without a ladder. So much of what we do is to create an illusion for guests.

2 Likes

That’s quite true. I think I have a big advantage because my room and bathroom is new. New things look cleaner than old things.

2 Likes

That’s 100% true and why I’m pretty proud of my 5 star cleanliness rating despite the fact that everything in my place is about 20 years old. I have had a couple of 4 star ratings from people that can’t distinguish between old and clean but that’s fine I can deal with it …

3 Likes

Yes! Just think of all those stained sheets, bath towels, and dish drying towels. They could have been brand new and only used once. But if the stain cannot be removed, most hosts don’t set them out for the next guests. Yet they are perfectly cleaned and maybe even went through the wash several times trying to get the stain removed.

Funny how guests have no issues staining items themselves, or putting back nasty dishes for the next guests…

5 Likes

I just put a new set of sheet on, I think they’ve been used by two or three sets of guests. After laundering and while making up the bed I found two tiny brown spots. They looked like old blood stains or maybe they were from the chocolate I provide. Hydrogen peroxide did nothing and clorox not much. I got my magic eraser, put a little bleach and scrubbed. Off it came. When I see how much hair and lint I pick up with the lint rollers I wonder what I ever did without them. Of course with the dogs here hair is an extra battle because it’s on my shoes and clothes as I clean the room.

2 Likes

Was this the original magic eraser or a special type?

Good ole’ Mr. Clean Magic Eraser. They are lifesavers.

3 Likes

My life was transformed when I discovered them for dealing with scuff marks on painted floors and other woodwork! I’ve never thought to use them on bedlinen, though, and will definitely try it. I too have discovered those little brown spots that only seem to appear on newly washed linen :frowning: Thanks for the tip!

1 Like

Another steam machine user here which I use on everything. It’s amazing how nice the floors feel underfoot after they’ve been cleaned with steam. I regularly pass it over fabrics, curtains, carpet etc. Probably one of my all time best buys

Can you give a recommendation for a good one to get in uk? Preferably budget price! And also can be used on hard floors,

Karcher. Any of their machines. I went for a £100 one with hard water filter.

I mostly have tiled flooring. But I like to treat rugs and carpet with steam.

Thanks. I’m a traditional elbow-grease type of cleaner generally but I’m getting old and tired so this is definitely an attractive option.

1 Like

I love our steam mop! But I wish we’d splashed out a bit and got one with the hand held attachment for soft furnishings. It’s so great for the floors though. So satisfying to see the grimey pad after :joy:

As my old mum used to say ‘we have to eat a peck of dirt before we die’. Which means more or less the same thing :slight_smile:

I do this after every guest. But I have never supplied sponges, dishcloths or any other material to wash dishes (other than dish soap). But after reading this, maybe I should. :slight_smile:

What is this steam mop you’re all talking about? I have natural slate floors and they’re hard to clean as each tile has an uneven surface. I could use it in my house too - we have 3 stories of hard wood flooring - I currently use a washable microfiber pad that velcro onto the long mop base.

US product recs please!

1 Like

I have this one but there are others that are even higher rated.

1 Like

Amen sister! I’ve never been a sponge user since I feel using a clean washcloth every day was more sanitary. But people like sponges, so I provide them. And when I’m cleaning I get them wet and toss them in the microwave. When they’re at the end of their life I use them to scrub the insides of my windows and then toss them. I keep extras under the sink for those who are worried about it. But I would think most sponge people would just get them wet and toss them in the microwave again to be safe.

Plus, you’re using SOAP with the sponge to get things clean and then rinsing. The whole hygiene theory has shown that those who play in the dirt, pick their noses, and bite their nails (cringe!) are the healthiest!

1 Like

This is what I use in my home and after we switch the carpet to hard flooring in our rental I’ll be getting one of those for up there.

Tip: sometimes (especially on shiny floors) there can be a bit of a filmy look left behind. I have a spray bottle with about 10% vinegar, a tiny bit of dish-soap, and then filled to the top with water. I spritz that on the floor as I’m steam mopping and it leaves my floors nice and shiny for the 5 minutes until my kids track it with dirt again.

1 Like

I have this one:

And I use it just with water … I even clean the oven with it.

1 Like

What’s an STR?

On sponges, I wet the sponge, put it in the microwave for 45 seconds (1200 W), and then put it in the dishwasher when the dishwasher is on final rinse. I have read a paper saying that putting a sponge in early with dirty dishes raises the particld count. I also make sure the sponge is fully dried after cleaning so I have enough for several guests.