New San Bernardino County Tax Collection

Just got this email this morning. If you’re in San Bernardino, you should know about it.

Hi Oded,

Great news! Airbnb will start collecting and remitting the following tax(es) administered by the below County for all reservations booked on or after August 1, 2018.

County Name:

San Bernardino County, CA
Tax(es) Name(s):

Transient Occupancy Tax
Guests will see a separate line item for the tax(es) when booking. Airbnb will collect and pay the tax(es) to the jurisdiction at the next filing due date.

Will my payouts be affected?

No. The tax(es) will be charged to guests.

How do you know what tax(es) to apply to my listing?

The tax(es) applied will be determined by the address you have entered for your listing. Please double check the details of your address in the Manage Your Space page to ensure you have entered a complete and accurate address for your listing. Airbnb will not be responsible for any tax collection errors due to a typo in the address.

How can I see the amount of tax collected on my behalf?

The amount is displayed in the Gross Earnings tab of your Transaction History.

How will you be remitting tax on my behalf?

We will be filing one tax return per jurisdiction with the total combined reservation revenue for all Airbnb bookings in the area. This means that all hosts will be represented by one payment amount, and we will not be providing your personal information on the return. We may provide your personal data only in cases where we receive a binding request by a competent authority pursuant to applicable law, including data protection laws, and our Privacy Policy.

I’ve been collecting the above tax(es). What do I do now?

You’ll no longer need to collect this tax for transactions completed through the Airbnb platform from guests who book their reservation on or after August 1, 2018.

Are there other taxes that I need to collect?

You are responsible for understanding and fulfilling all of your tax obligations. For a summary of the taxes collected by Airbnb for a listing, visit the Manage Your Space page and click Local Laws. If there are other applicable taxes that you need to collect from your guests, the process for collecting is outlined here. As always, you must be upfront about any such taxes with guests before booking.

Do I have any other tax reporting obligations?

You may be responsible for other tax reporting obligations. Please contact your respective taxing authorities for more information on what these obligations are.

Do I have any other obligations related to my listing?

Our agreement to collect and remit taxes on your behalf in San Bernardino County, CA does not give you a right to operate your listing in San Bernardino County, CA. You may be responsible for complying with local rules and regulations that apply to your listing. Please contact your respective local government agencies for more information on what these obligations are.

To learn more, please visit our Help Center or contact your local tax authority for more details.

Thanks,
The Airbnb Team

1 Like

I wonder how it will affect booking. I know from friends I have in LA that they felt it slowed down a bit. The thing with Joshua Tree is that it’s a very small town so there’s really nowhere you can go as an alternative. We’ll have to see…

1 Like

Ok, good to know! Thanks for the feedback.

If you ever want to visit Desert Hot Springs and need a place to stay let me know, I’ll hook you up.

2 Likes

Oh wow, can’t believe you’re going there since you’re 8 :sunglasses:

3 Likes