New options in Airbnb listings settings

@cs2015 was talking about the “Personal home” option. This is getting funny :smiley:

1 Like

Personal, meaning you live in the listing that’s being advertised? (Is this getting even funnier because I’m not scrolling up to see what’s been said before?)

1 Like

Reading comprehension is in short order these days.

1 Like

…but first there needs to have been reading done in order to have comprehension :slight_smile:

picky picky!

20 20 20

1 Like

As a guest, I really strive to avoid spaces that are the host’s primary residence (and they are renting it out because they are gone for the week). I have less of an issue with secondary vacation homes that have the hosts’ personal stuff (clothing, etc.) for when they stay there. I like this new feature.

I include the following line in my own listing to try to make this clear, “This apt is exclusively for short-term guests and there is no clutter or personal stuff.”

3 Likes

I was referring to my lazy self…:slight_smile:

1 Like

And do some group therapy.

2 Likes

I am glad they added the items. I once rented what I thought would be a full house sans owner only to arrive and have the person around all weekend asking questions even after I told him the reason I wanted a whole house was to be alone. Also as a host I rent a second home near my son and his family. We leave nothing personal out and have no personal papers there. This emphasized that and also makes it clear with “whole” house or apartments means sans host. These questions also make it clear how you are going to interact with guests.

1 Like

In terms of what criteria they use to list places, I’m disappointed that they are now giving instant book places priority rather than using our earned reviews and ratings as criteria. I looked for my listing and only found it after wading through volumes…I’ve had great reviews, partly since I rent a room in my own home, and take precautions to weed out people who would clearly be difficult…like not respecting our fragrance free policy or asking to bring a pet when I’ve stated ‘no pets’. I couldn’t do this weeding which would lead to issues if I were to be available through instant book. I’m growing disappointed with airbnb’s lack of host support and promotion.

3 Likes

Someone finally realized reviews are pretty worthless since they are so subjective and most people guests or hosts are in no position to judge others anyway since categories to judge by were so thoughtlessly set up and vague.

I’m not so sure they do put the IB places toward the top. At first I thought IB was the default setting when people were searching, but I’ve recently done a search for my IB place here in Long Beach, CA and it did come up immediately but I didn’t have the IB filter on, so I saw many other places that were not IB.

Being on my own computer and phone might have something to do with it. I’m not sure. In any case, I don’t think my listing is toward the top because I’m IB but because there aren’t many shared room places in my area. It’s primarily private rooms and surprisingly few entire homes.

Have you tried searching your listing on a friend’s phone or computer?

Using Chrome in Incognito mode is a reliable way to see what others see, not logged in as you or on your computers.

2 Likes

I’m not on IB, and @smartbnb.io discovered with his fancy searches :slight_smile: that I attained the gold standard of search rankings. I can never find much competition, but then maybe I am living in a dream world. :smiley:

Not a bad place to live.

2 Likes

So you don’t have that many Air places near you then, huh?

Thanks! Great idea! The search I referenced definitely listed all IBs first…that was the one very obvious distinction…and most of them were not hosts that shared their own home…the rest of us, without IB who have more intimate accommodations were bringing up the rear. I will try to search on a friend’s phone. thanks again for that!

I just looked at Air through an incognito tab and if I change the settings to only show instant book (both of my listings are on IB), neither one shows up at all! Frustrating.

:slight_smile: As written somewhere above, this is not related to your cookies, but more whether you are in a test sample or not. There is nothing you can here but wait for the options to be available in your sample.

Pardon me if this has been discussed before, or if it’s been in practice for a while. It’s the first time I’ve noticed that the guests arrival time is included in the reservation:

Hello James,
Coming in town to move my son from LB to his new home in Boise. I’d stay with him but he lives with 3 other 20 somthing year olds. Needless to say, I need a more quite relaxing place to stay. Your place looks great. Hope this works out. Thanks
Jeff
Today at 7:52 AM
Jeff’s check-in time is: 4PM - 6PM

2 Likes