New listing advice please

Hi @jaquo, that’s really interesting. What sort of social media do you have the most success with? And do you mean just through your own page or on travel groups etc?

I guess I’d hoped to be lazy and let AirBnB market for me :blush:

Tony short reply here @JamJerrupSunset- this is amazing info, and I plan to study your listing carefully! Will reply when I’ve had a chance to go through and implement your suggestions! Thank you so much!!!

1 Like

love the animal photos, and ur photo comments are fun…

BUT - photos at night? big no no for me…also no photo of the property? building?..esp if 50 mins from cbd i wouldnt book it without knowing what it looks like…too many bed fotos too - looks like a dormitory.

i think you have a lovely property and great idea - needs a bit of packaging )…i would come based on your writting/family pic/animal/farm pics…but the accomodation i think is a bit less fun - taking photos on a bright day - few plants - less beds - showing the outside of the farm - fresh eggs, etc…sounds like a nice weekend.

1 Like

have u seen a big difference with social media / blogs? im experimenting now )

I’d like that too :slight_smile:

I use Twitter mostly but also Flipboard, G+ and the dreaded Facebook. Sadly, Facebook probably does the best job for me!

1 Like

Hi Mike, I agree about ignoring price tips totally even when starting out they are at least 20% and often 50% lower than what you can achieve.

The OP draws on the same Melbourne demographic as I do and I have been on IB for 3 years with not a single problem booking so I think she is probably okay with IB in our area. It is a pretty affluent city of over 4 million people, low crime (they even report tourist muggings on the evening news) and we are on the well off suburban side. I even get guests coming from where the OP lives which is only about 40km away. Probably over 60% have never used ABB before. I do require government issued ID which screens out the time wasters but not recommendations from other hosts. I have tried different things but this is what works for me and keeps me comfortable which I am sure other hosts will have different ideas (of course!).

My concern about instant book wasn’t related to the type of guest you may get but more about keeping on top of it, handling last minute bookings and not getting caught off guard which can happen if you’re new to hosting.

1 Like

Fair enough. One way to avoid last minute bookings is to set the cutoff time to be the day before or early morning (this is for OP I am sure you know this stuff). I was looking for that on ABB but couldn’t find it. I thought if I turned IB off and then back on it might show me the cutoff options but there was so much blow back from ABB when trying to turn it off, screen after screen telling me how dreadful the consequences were and getting me to acknowledge that for example I might never get another booking ever again! (or words to that effect). I gave up and left it on since it was only an exercise and I didn’t want to poke The Algorithm monster. I noticed in particular they say they won’t “highlight your property in searches” if IB is off. The OP’s property is currently coming to the top in searches being new so I wouldn’t turn it off just because of that. Now I don’t even know how to set the cut offs to advise her. From an alert point of view I get alerts on my iPhone from text messages, the ABB app and email so usely on top of it quickly. I think I set my cutoff as the day before as I have a 2 night minimum so no longer get casual travelers.