New Instant Book Settings

I had someone spill goat cheese oil on a brand knew comforter (they threw their knapsack on the bed with it and it leaked), someone who spilled tea on the white comforter, granola bar crumbs all around the room of one guest, and a rotting, molding orange under my armchair, candy stuck to a bed, etc which is why I have that rule now. Fortunately none of these were difficult problems, I just hate cleaning too much to deal with it. There’s a reason I didn’t have kids. Picking up after them is no doubt excellent training to be a good airbnb host.

1 Like

I hear you. I let guests eat in the guest room because it’s a perk they really appreciate, but I have lots of food spilled and smeared stories to tell.

I must say, your draconian rules seem to be working because you are fully booked and have great reviews!

Keep those guests under control!!!

1 Like

Thanks! It’s weird I just got two five-day instant books from people moving here but I also got reckless and removed all “govt ID” and “good host review” and switched to Instant Book and lowered the price and of course, tried to not sound as draconian as normal (from No drugs and alcohol to “No Marijuana use without Permission” and “No heavy drinking”…more risk for more gain…

I turned on Instant Book for the first time last week and both guests had to supply a check-in time. This time, the two bookings did not. I called Airbnb and asked why, The Airbnb rep just said, “I think the interface is changing” as to why the guests did not have to supply a check-in time. He did guests are inherently agreeing to house rules when booking. He also said to use the button “I will give guests space” even though I live in the same house with them, and to detail any social interaction planned in the Interaction with Guests space. He said guests CAN see which option a host checks…but not clear about expectations of what “socializing with guests” means as it can be anything from saying “Hi” over coffee to taking them on a hike.

I’m not an IB user but let me ask you, if you specify a check in time, don’t they then have to agree to it?

Yes, they do (in theory). Check in time is one of the house rules whether or not you specify it as such. Instant Book guests are asked to specifically agree to obey the house rules. In the real world, many of my Instant Book guests want to arrive earlier than my check in time and many of them ask what check out time is.

Well my check-in time is 3pm to 11pm. On the first two instant books it said, "This guest will check-in 6-8pm " …but these last two said nothing and I had to ask them. One just said, “my plane lands at 2pm.” Fortunately he was responsive when I asked for a more detailed time but …why were these 2 different?

I love it when they tell you what time their plane lands. As if I can take them earlier because their plane lands at 10:30am, LOL.

Some even tell me when their plane leaves (late at night) as though they are expecting to be allowed a late check out!

NOT in both cases!

In standard English, this means - we have no idea what we are doing. I would never agree to IB for at least one reason, which is unlikely to change. IB requires you to trust even more that you already do, that Airbnb knows what they are doing. And I don’t think they do.

I think the recommendations people have made about being listed on more sites and having ones own site are sensible, and if I was having a problem getting bookings, I’d go in that direction. Well, actually, I’m planning to go in that direction anyway, I’m just not going that fast. My 2c.

1 Like

I have never received anything like this included in any of my reservations. I wish that I did. I have both IB and “regular” bookings. Maybe this is one of those things they tried for 36 hrs before abandoning?

I don’t know if this is the same thread as I am too lazy to scroll through…but I wonder if this is the beta test that was discussed in the other thread about guest receiving email to see if they checked in okay.

And then in the terms and conditions it mentions a travel issue is not being able to check in…

I am fairly certain somewhere else I read about Airbnb more prominently displaying check in times too. I don’t doubt there is an ulterior motive with that statement.

I use IB and my latest booking requests (the last was 3 days ago) have had a check-in range indicated as part of the reservation . None have been out of bounds as far as my expected check-in window. I like it as I can refer to that time when following up with the guest to clarify and confirm details in their reservation. I ‘think’ it is specific to instant book… Agree - the interface is changing all the time. If they were testing I wish there was a way to formally give feedback on the changes… I hate it when a feature I like shows up and then disappears…

I quite like your listing. I particularly love your Jean Paul Satre comment, its also my favourite. I don’t think you have the rules from hell etc as has been stated and it wouldn’t really put me off but I think you could probably cut them in half and reword many. E.g. no need to tell me they need to come with ear plus, slippers etc, they are adults booking a rom and if they haven’t come prepared, don’t sweat it, its their issue not yours so it doesn’t need to be in the listing at all, especially the rules.

Given so many have said the listing would put them off, it might be worth some difficult culling? Its up to you obviously, just trying to help. Maybe get a friend to sit with you who you trust and who is good with such things and make some difficult decisions.

I was a bit confused as you stated basically you wanted independent people etc and those just there to sleep, shower etc and be out and about but then later said listing not suited to super private people? Does it matter if they don’t want to engage with you if they are paying, wanting to be your new bestie is much more annoying when you are busy and trying to have boundaries.

Also, this bit needs to go I think, it does not come across well “This listing is for a small private corner basement bedroom in shared home for the traveler who just needs an affordable place to park, sleep and shower for a short stay, and doesn’t need to cook, do laundry, carry more than 1 suitcase, do drugs, get drunk or bring people back while here. You should also be able to respect my stated check-in/check-out times and not be above cleaning up your own hair from the bathroom shower and sink.”

3 Likes

What! No!!! That tells it like it is! Leave it in!!!
Come on, how many of us are that honest. We are all thinking this, but don’t say it. :smiley: You have to give her points for honesty! :smiley:

Maybe that should be another thread ‘what you would put in your house rules if you were as brave as @cs2015 and not concerned about getting bookings and your guests’ sensibilities’???

Mine would perhaps include: As I detest loose hairs of any kind, pubic, head, leg or animal, if your hair sheds like a poodle at the doggie groomer when you use the bathroom, please be prepared to get down on your hands and knees and pick them ALL up before I shower at 7am or a hair collection fee of $500 will be added to your charges. Using my kitchen cloth to do so = an additional $100 charge as does thinking you are entitled to use my Ella Bache face scrub from my private vanity, even if you are on a budget :frowning: I wish!

2 Likes

LOL @Colorado. I just say eat messy foods at table, its a nice table.

My first guest ate I think, pizza in bed and got it on everything…a lot of extra washing. But then I just have about two other rules…dont burn my house down or kick my dogs.