New Instant Book Settings

Which is ultimately why you have all those great reviews. Coming across as a total witch in your description probably scares off a bunch of losers and the remaining guests are left with a kind and caring host. Win-win.

2 Likes

a $300 security deposit is cheap especially if its totally refunded because nothing is damaged. A carton of cigarettes costs $80 in Seattle, use of a home to park, sleep and shower with clean bedding and wi-fi and key to my whole house is a pretty good deal. What kind of person canā€™t afford a $300 security deposit anyway?

I agree with you on that. However, in my opinion, itā€™s not something you should have on what is basically your sales page to the world. Travelers do not want to be reminded of the existence of bed bugs when booking a place.

Funnny!!! It does sorta sound that way I suppose, especially with all the other very complicated and easily forgotten rules she has.

I actually had to put in my listingā€“not in the rules but in another sectionā€“to please not eat in bed because I was starting to get ants. Lots of them. And a couple of guests complained. One of the complainers was the jerk who attracted them in the first place with his munching on candy bars and gawd knows what else in bed for a week.

Maybe I did put that in the rules? I should check. In any case, I donā€™t see people eating in bed any more.

Had to do the same lol. I had guests who thought Pizza was a great thing to eat in bedā€¦

2 Likes

Yes, I have read stories both ways. HOWEVER, my insurer has worked with AirBNB and has read the contract. My insurer even has a page on their corporate site saying they insure AirBNB properties and work with AirBNB to insure proper coverage. Erie has been a top regional insurer for years in Consumer Reports and in my experience. My agent in both cities agree they have had no problems so far, however I did raise my liability insurance to $2.5M for a very small additional fee, which says something, too, money where their mouth is.

BTW, my hometown agent said most peopleā€™s issues of the 40 to 50 he insurers and have dealt with AirBNB on a claim is they donā€™t have an appreciation of deductibles and that deductibles are on a per-case basis. He is the person who thought I should put a $1200 deposit. He stated that places with higher deposits seem to have fewer problems in his discussions with clients. I asked him about getting deposit items paid. He said they didnā€™t track that, but even if AirBNB was reluctant, that the majority of guests would not know that.

BTW, I use forums advisedly because usually complaints out number going-well posts, that is not to say complaints arenā€™t real. But I look at the quality of the information given when I weigh it. Example, a recent post was about a $150 coffee table being nicked. I consider nicks normal wear, but then I have three grandsons. Another is a host that was mad about getting a deposit claim denied on wine on a $25 towel. Said it was a rare thing. Still another had a hole bashed in a wall and a burn stain on a toilet seat in a non-smoking flat that wreaked afterward. I get that one.

I also had my attorney review AirBNBā€™s guarantee statement/contract after she had it sent to her she said she didnā€™t see any ā€œgotchasā€ or unusual language which she would expect if the guarantee was mainly marketing. She was going to start asking around about issues. To date, nearly a year later, I have heard no additional legal cautions.

BTW, if AirBNB doesnā€™t have a proper gID and something happens, thatā€™s on them. It weakens any case on not paying for damages and allows me to say that the person had proper ID, and AirBNB will be giving over that information under subpoena if itā€™s needed. False idā€™s can happen and do happen everywhere. Hotels have problems all the time and this is why I track my charges on my cards all the time!

Would you mind telling us where you are? Not the exact address of course :slight_smile:

@J_Wang sheā€™s in Seattle. Sheā€™s posted a link to her listing somewhere recently.

1 Like

Thanks. I now remember. I scrolled up and recall looking at her OP. I had fun reading her house rules and the reviews by guests. Very entertaining. I like the look of her place, though. And you canā€™t beat the price. I might be showing up on her doorstep one of these days. Been wanting to see Seattle for a long time.

1 Like

Come and visit J Wang! Just read the house rules first! https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/3953365

1 Like

I would love to Carol! And when I do Iā€™ll prepare some flash cards with the rules on them to study on my way up there from Long Beach. :))))

2 Likes

No no that simply wont do. You need to have read, understood and internalised the rules before booking!

1 Like

Oh darn it. So there will be a quiz? And donā€™t tell me the passing score is nothing less than 100%

Iā€™m hearing that womanā€™s voice from The Weakest Link in my headā€¦

Oh yes I will also need to know your REAL FIRST NAME not just an initial!

1 Like

Well of course Carol! That will all be revealed when I book. :slight_smile:

I would love it if you could re-write my listing without me promising Fantasy Island to guests since I hate disappointing people.

Please do not park your SUV in the driveway!!!

I can understand why she has that rule. I let guests eat in the guest room, but it can be frustrating cleaning up after them. I recently had to take down and wash the curtains because a guest ate then opened or closed them with dirty hands. I had to wipe down all the door frames with Clorox because again she snacked then touched them. I had to wash the trash can because she didnā€™t position the liner correctly and put food waste directly in the trash can. This is despite the fact that I ask all guests to dispose of food waste in the kitchen not in the guest room. She also stained the sheets, pillowcases and mattress protector with food.

1 Like

How about my little red Yaris? Maybe, pretty please?

I meant the lawn! People always reversing out and rolling over that sad patch of lawn.

1 Like