New idea for getting bnb supplies?

Yeah I use HEB/target/Costco and get bulk as much as possible but usually only go about 3 months worth of gift basket and food/beverage items. One of the annoying things for me is when I get several sheets/towels ruined and have unplanned running around to stores. I also feel like I make little runs to the store for extra things at least every other month.

No I probably wouldn’t because I doubt there would be a site that would have everything I like/need as there are so many varied tastes. I hit up Costco and Amazon for a lot of things. Some things need to be fresh so I hit up my local grocery store. Then there are a few things I search and search for because they will be unique to my decor, so I don’t think I’d find them on a generic website. That being said, there is at least one website that I know of already doing this sort of thing.

1 Like

Arlene_larson what I’m thinking is an online store that has all of the same things people get at Costco and Target for their bnb but condensed down so it’s easier to get all of the Airbnb supply shopping done in one place. So their may or may not be things that fit your decor but most of the items that need ongoing replacement (bedding/cleaning supplies/food&beverage) could be gotten easily. It would be cool to be able to get low qauntities of things like bedding and towels without paying alot.

I think your issue here would be marketing. You would have to have a substantial marketing budget to drive enough hosts to your site to make it a profitable endeavour. And you would have to clearly differentiate why what you are offering is different/better.

You are unlikely to be able to be competitive price wise, so you would need to think about why else people would buy from you.

As others have mentioned, there are already companies out there who have set themselves up as a supplier for hosts. Have you looked at them and how they are doing?

Although you may have an issue sourcing your products, most experienced hosts don’t so it might be your are trying to solve a problem which doesn’t exist, or at least not enough to make it a profitable business.

2 Likes

I have to say that I find this statement somewhat offensive and patronising. Sorry, but that’s how it made me feel.

In addition, you’ve had a lot of feedback from some very experienced hosts. From what I’ve read, you are not listening, perhaps because it’s not what you want to hear.

On a positive note, at least you haven’t had the Grammar Police after you; they know who they are!

(and I love it)

3 Likes

@Helsi
You nailed it exactly right! Pretty tough to launch a new business that can compete with Amazon, Costco, etc. who buy massive quantities and operate on slim margins. I previously posted this about a supplier we use;

2 Likes

As the spokesman for the Airhostsforum Consulting Group (the members of this forum), which tests and gives feedback to new companies that feel that hosts cannot find household items they need at their local shops and stores and would be better served with companies inserting themselves into the shopping experience, we welcome your questions and requests for feedback.

Here’s how it works: Your company can offer free supplies or services for a period of 30 days to any and all hosts who request from you. the Airhostforum Consulting Group will evaluate your service, discuss amongst the members, and provide you with feedback. You will then be allowed to repeat the process, and after the next 30 day period, obtain again the insight and commentary that only experienced hosts can provide.

While all companies do research, and so many of them spend many thousands on information, we are happy to provide this to you, after sampling your services.

We look forward to consulting on your new venture. Until then, we ask that you refrain from seeking free information from the Airhosts, as our time is valuable and is spent here in this group helping other hosts and ourselves with matters that need the expertise and knowledge of years of experience and hundreds of guests.

:kissing_heart:

7 Likes

Rolf thanks for all that great info. I am not a business yet. I have no products and no store. I came here to get a sense for wether or not my idea would be of interest to anyone here. If I am interested in advertising or getting the members of this forum to test products I will get in touch thank you.

I don’t know who that is, is it me?

I’m still not sure what unique service you are offering. You mentioned in the OP that you think there is a market for one stop shopping and affordable. You’ve been told that Amazon already does this. So now we seem aggressive? What is the kind and encouraging way to say these services already exist at a price you can’t compete with?

Did you know Amazon sells just the top sheet, flat sheet or sets of pillowcases as singles? You don’t have to buy a whole set if one item gets ruined.

All the experienced hosts have extras on hand. I don’t think there is anyone here who doesn’t have multiples of everything. So when something gets ruined we have plenty of time to go out and restock without making a special trip to the store.

Most of the folks responding to you are veterans. Some members have been Airbnb members almost since they started (like 2010). New members frequently complain that we aren’t the most welcoming and I can’t disagree with that. But it is what it is. An internet forum.

Several times a year someone comes on the forum with what they think is a unique and brilliant idea. The problem is, we’ve heard it before. Don’t shoot the messenger when we tell you your idea isn’t unique.

6 Likes

Sure wish it was possible for moderators to segregate the obvious merchandisers, both the suppliers and wanna-be’s, from the main forum and move their “pitches” into a separate category and thread called, “Vendors.” That way, they don’t clutter the board and cause aggravation, and hosts interested in checking out the latest vendor offerings can peruse the Vendor thread on their own.

There seems to be an increase (now weekly?) with every Tom, Dick and Harry promoting their idea or offer to make things “easier and more convenient” for hosts…but in actuality, they would be the middleman…with hand held out.

3 Likes

Hello @bnbsupplyco

Like any other forum its about being a bystander first to get a feel for how it works before jumping in. As a host you will be welcome and I am sure can provide valuable input and advice to others.

As already mentioned we do get people coming on here quite often wanting to set up various types of support services for hosts.

If you are going to set up a business I think you will need to grow a harder skin. Not everyone will love your concept and on forums like this you will get honest feedback, not just people who validate your ideas.

Listen to it, it will help identify whether you have a viable business model.

I think the issue is that you feel that ‘many hosts’ will want a one stop service and that the problems you feel you encounter in sourcing goods is common amongst hosts. However this may not be the case. The only way you will know is to do some proper market research with your target market (US I presume).

Its also been pointed out that you are unlikely to be competitive on price so how will you make yourself stand out. Also do you have the know how and budget to market an endeavour like yours?

What are your thoughts on this?

So do stick around and contribute advice here on hosting issues - it’s certainly unique for it’s ability to go off tangent but also offers some invaluable advice.

1 Like

We’re like Shark Tank (US TV show) except anybody can get 10 minutes.

4 Likes

Having worked in retail, I cannot see how you are going to source your stock to price it to beat the amazon and Costco’s of the internet world. People’s loyalty is as deep as their wallets and you will be a middleman - how would you make a profit?

I think the only way to monetize this concept would be to couple it with full outsourced management including cleaning service, linen service, and supplies replenishment. You’d have to standardize the service, maybe you could have an optional add-on “luxury” service level with high thread count sheets and gift baskets. I’m sure there are entrepreneurs out there already doing this. I don’t need it and wouldn’t be interested myself.

Bnb, I believe your post is thinly veiled marketing research. You really can’t do that here, sorry. You say things which make me think you may be pretending to be hosts to gain our trust…

2 Likes

Moderators can’t create new forum places like vendor lounges and I suspect imposters like this would not use them even if they did exist. Besides we would have to ask for another raise if we had more unnecessary work to do. :rofl::rofl:

You guys can help us by flagging spam, We see the flags immediately and can delete the post or deal with it appropriately. Help make the forum better for everyone by flagging spam or promotions. (But please do not overflag or flag someth8ng for being off topic!)

2 Likes

OMG! Not a phrase I would habitually deploy but I feel the situation might, just might, warrant it.

I can only say that I’m a new host since June last year. I have always been made to feel welcome, been taken seriously and have learned so much from people’s advice and experience.

2 Likes

What me?!..flag?..Never.

Not unless I’m watching a parade. … :grin:

(Yeah, I know mods can’t create such a thing but I was just wishing out loud.)

2 Likes

I appreciate a new potential business venture wanting to get the pulse of the customer before a large investment of time & money.

New hosts may enjoy the ease of product access. For hosts like me who have an established supplies routine, I’m not sure unless there is a large cost savings.

I get my supplies at Amazon, Costco & either Zulily or Woot (Amazon subsidiary) products on special. I pick up a few at my rare Walmart trip (e.g. tooth brush / toothpaste travel kit $0.97 each) or my monthly local dollar store trip. I’m fortunate that I live 1.5 miles from Costco. I have a product routine that is time efficient & fairly cost efficient.

1 Like