Welcome! We are a community of AirBnb hosts

This forum is dedicated to connecting hosts with other hosts. Sign up to get the latest updates and news just for AirBnb hosts! Note that we are not affiliated with Airbnb - we are just passionate hosts!

New Host Introduction and AirHost 'Premium Subscription' email Scam

Hi Everyone,
I’m a newer host who has been lurking and learning on the forum for awhile. I officially registered as a member a few days ago… I’ve chimed in on a couple of topics - I hope I didn’t inadvertently break any unwritten ‘house rules’ by doing so without introducing myself first… Due to the lurking I weirdly feel as if I know some of you already… :slight_smile:

A little bit about me - I live in Seattle. I have a mother-in-law apartment in my basement that I started renting on Air back in September as a break from doing long-term rentals due to my last tenant being somewhat inconsiderate/problematic… Enjoying it so far and still learning as I go.

I’m writing on the forum as I got 2 emails today that look to me like a hoax/scam. The email content and subject lines looked like they originated from AirBnB but there was no history of the communication when I checked my AirBnB inbox.

The first email looked like it was standard booking request for 4 nights however the sender was ‘Premium Subscription (Airbnb)’. There was an immediate follow-up message offering me premium services and high placement in listing searches etc with a message to respond directly to the email for more information…

I did a google search and it sounds like if you reply you get a response with a link to login with your AirBnB credentials but it is not the standard Air site…

Anyway - just thought I would put this out there in the event anyone has seen this…

Here is a screen shot (assuming I upload this correctly) of the content of the 2nd message.

Thanks!

1 Like

Gosh how weird!!! I think it’s shady.

Totally agree… I’m not responding or clicking on any provided links…
This was meant more as a warning to other hosts.

The first email got my attention was kind of exciting initially because I thought I had an inquiry that might fill up my month and bring in a few bucks - you know the ‘new booking high’ :)… And then bam the follow-up email was clearly not the norm.

Ask yourself these questions about the URL shown in the email.

• Why would Airbnb buy another domain name? They would use a directory (such as airbnb.com/experiences) or a subdomain (such as blog.airbnb.com)
  • Why would they hide the registration behind a domain cloaking service to conceal their identity? (The main Airbnb site doesn’t).
  • Why would their servers be located in the Netherlands?

Seems like a scam to me :slight_smile:

1 Like

All really good ways/questions to identify ANY email scams/hoaxes…

Also, never put your credentials into website you’ve been directed to from an email - this indicates phishing - and the link is used to steal your login/password…

Any legit company you already have an account with will tell you to login to your account using your standard method - they won’t provide a link in the content.

Altcoin Fantasy - Crypto Fantasy Trading and Simulation Game - Win Bitcoin and Altcoins!