New EU consumer regulations V USA

Airbnb revised its terms of service in the Euopean Union, which has some good points (e.g show price to guest from outset), but also the ability to sue hosts (in the host country). Would you like to see any one of these implemented in the USA?

The main improvements and changes are as follows:

• In accommodation searches with selected dates, users see the total price in the results page, including all the applicable mandatory charges and fees (such as service, cleaning charges and local taxes). There are now no surprise mandatory fees appearing on later pages;

• Airbnb clearly distinguishes if an accommodation offer is put on the market by a private host or a professional ;

• Airbnb provides an easily accessible link to the [ Online Dispute Resolution platform on its website and all the necessary information related to dispute resolution

• makes clear that users can bring a case against Airbnb before the courts of their country of residence;

• respects users’ basic legal rights to sue a host in case of personal harm or other damages ;

• commits not to unilaterally change the terms and conditions without clearly informing users in advance and without giving them the possibility to cancel the contract.

I’ve not seen any of these changes here in the UK @subaculture on my listing. When was it supposed to be in place from.

Apart from total pricing which we’ve had for years.

Can’t see why anyone outside the EU would object to hosting under these conditions.

They’ve implemented the tag “Hosted by a business” recently, maybe a couple of months ago. Its on the search results page, on same line as amenities like WiFi etc.

When you click through to the listing, this appears near the top:

This place is hosted by a business. Show business details

JF

Yes, I spotted this whilst searching for an apartment recently. However, I recognised some of them from the past and I know that they are indeed a “a business”, but have not declared this.

Thanks will double check have you seen any of the other changes mentioned?

This is the best part. :grin:

No way for AirBnB to hide contact details.
Website, e-mail and phonenumber open on the site.

So if you See this, hit the button and contact the host direct outside AirBnB!! Better rates and a happy host!

Of course they hide contact details until booking @Chris - one of your more strange comments.

Ok have double checked on my listing @JohnF @Joan definitely nothing to say whether I am a private host or business.

No they don’t.
Next time you see a listing with “business details” click it and see for yourself. All contact data available.

I can’t see listings with these details - as I mention earlier in this thread!

Did’t know you are also in the EU @Chris

For example here:

2 Likes

Not on my listings either but as I mentioned, I spotted this when I was searching for somewhere to stay.

Maybe a pilot then @Joan or we’ve already left the EU but nobody told us :blush:

1 Like

I did a quick search in Bristol area and a couple come up as hosted by a business. Curious difference though, in Spain we are the same as screenshots above, i.e. business details in the listing, but not the UK listings.

Odd, but not unexpected with Airbnb.

JF

1 Like

Thanks @JohnF glad I’m not going mad :grin:z. I know there are at least 20 property managers covering my city so interesting only a few properties show up.