New Airbnb like platform for women

Laughing myself silly here. Regardless of any pros or cons of gender-specific lodging.

Golightly is the brand name of a “lower gastro-intestinal tract cleanser” which one drinks some 12 hours to purge one’s system prior to undergoing a colonoscopy!!!

9 Likes

And there is Holly Golightly from Breakfast at Tiffany

4 Likes

I think they might have been inspired by the latter, lol. At least they didn’t make the faux pas of naming themselves Roofy which was the original name of H o u f y (which isn’t much better).

4 Likes

Because we all know people who live in different states, countries, cantons, etc. And if we build the community, then success for this business model is greater.

It’s like any marketing initiative - sure there are other people rightnextdoor doing the same thing. But people choose the properties/items from people or places where they feel comfortable.

1 Like

Many women I meet are timid. I’m not and clearly no one who opens their doors to total strangers (us!) is timid.

If this private travel club opens doors for more solo women to travel or more women to get out there and GO, fabulous.

I’ve applied. I think this could be an interesting secondary platform for revenue. Ya never know!

4 Likes

I thought of this too Ken!

I guess it will make you feel safe about traveling, if your fear is that you’ll need to use a public restroom while you’re traveling :laughing:

2 Likes

I do not do Facebook, Airbnb certainly did not require it when I signed up. As a matter of fact I believe Airbnb does not do enough to vet new hosts - all I provided was a phone number and email address.

LOL :rofl:
Oh goodness. I heard the old J-e-l-l-o spokesman was looking for a new gig.

People should really do some research before naming things.

2 Likes

This isn’t about vetting people, it’s a marketing tactic to make it seem exclusive and create a buzz.

Gmail did the exact same thing when it started out, invite only.

It also effective at limiting explosive growth that could cripple the platform due to lack of resources, and I think that’s the real reason for doing it (as it was with gmail).

I tried completing the form with just an IG account and it was rejected. I am retired so I don’t use LinkedIn and I detest FB. So, I was unable to submit an application. Probably for the best.

2 Likes

I submitted my dog boarding website. We’ll see if they follow up. Maybe I can make the cut later if I don’t make it this time.

I heard it’s a $100 fee to join but they are waiving it up front to build the community. Hopefully you’ll make the cut!

1 Like

Yes, it says fee waived until the end of Feb. I’m probably more interested as a guest than as a host at this point since I’m happy with Airbnb as a host, not so much as a guest.

Then you can invite all of us rejects who couldn’t even submit an application.

2 Likes

Sure thing. If I’m rejected I’m counting on @LCL to be accepted and invite me. LOL.

4 Likes

Happy Friday! I Just got a call from GoLightly welcoming me and saying an email is forthcoming and to proceed from there. I wondered if the call was a check-up to see if a woman answered? But either way, I guess my house (and I) passed so we will see what happens. I’ll keep y’all updated :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Yes,I got my call a couple of weeks ago, then they never sent an invite. Two days ago I got an email saying “don’t forget to use your invite”. :joy:

2 Likes

Haven’t heard from them. I think I signed up the same day that you did. Oh well.

1 Like

I was interested when I first read your post here, @KKC. I had a friend visiting from Canada, who is also a host and she wrote to them and got a response right away. We asked a few questions, one of which wasn’t answered. She’s back in Canada now, so I’ll have to ask her what has transpired with it.
It seems pretty weird to have to have some social media presence or a website to join (Seems this is being run by millenials who think everyone has these types of accounts?)- if that’s the case, It wouldn’t work for me.
And yes, some female guests feel more comfortable booking with a female host. Some have had bad experiences, some are just wary or don’t even want to chance the possibilty of having to deal with a male host who might make some inappropriate comment, let alone actual sexual advances. It’s a shame that women experience such things, but the reality is, that many do.
And I have read many posts from single female hosts who were inappropriately approached by male guests, some just in bad taste or “trying it on”, some downright scary. Pointedly parading through the house from the bathroom to the bedroom clad only in a towel, trying to get the host to come sit next to them on the couch to watch TV. Younger female hosts have reported male guests trying to touch or kiss them. Even something like a male guest commenting on the female host’s appearance is icky.
But from my reading, the creepy male guest scenario is far more common than the creepy male host.