New Airbnb Changes - Your Favorites?

It means the door to the bathroom opens into the guest room or suite. You don’t have to exit the room and go across the hall. In other words, like in a hotel.

If the bathroom is not attached, that is, it’s down the hall but no one other than the guest has access to that space then I’d still check the box. If it’s a bathroom in a basement suite for example but then entire basement suite belongs to the guest then I would check it. Hopefully they will add some language to the description to broaden it.

Dear Fellow Hosts,
I’d like your insight, please. Do you think that having a “Family Listing” is a positive thing? Most of my guests are couples or singles and not families so it worries me that having listing with a “family” label might have a negative impact to potential guests who are not traveling with children. What do you think?

1 Like

Thanks! Well, in my case, the apartment is a loft style so the bathroom is connected to the entire property. The living room, the bedroom and the kitchen have no walls that separate them, thus, I would say it is an attached bathroom. Not sure, indeed.

1 Like

Just because you have everything necessary to be classified as a Family Listing, why identify your rental with that label unless families are a part of your target market. If your guests are mostly couples and singles (and they are your preference), why muddy the waters by including the type of guests you really don’t want to attract.

Couples and singles are probably more likely to shun family listings because it conjures up images of a childproof environment ~ plainer/hardier décor having fewer “niceties” ~ and possible pee-smells in the mattress or couch/sofa.

Do they have a “couples” category? I would be all for that. Our place has a view and i think couples find it romantic. That’s my target market but it seems there’s no way to actually target that market and also no way to search for view listings. :-(.

1 Like

I also cater to only two guests because I have a one bedroom with a king-size bed. I got rid of the sofa-sleeper and put a leather loveseat in its place. (snicker-snicker)

Although such a category is not searchable on Air, I stress it enough in my listing and reference it in the heading. I rarely get an inquiry about a third body.

We come up in the family collection. We didn’t choose or ask to, we just do because we’re “family friendly”. When I searched as a guest on my phone as a traveler, it seemed like you had to choose one or the other or both. So if you aren’t in either category, not sure how your search ranking will be. Haven’t tried on my laptop yet.

I’m just irritated by all of it. We just offer a somewhat better than basic place, in an older building with a nice view and nice quality linens. I consider our place mid-range. I don’t need or want to be a “plus”, or a family listing, or business, etc., etc. Why don’t they just bring the keyword search back and people can look for the things they care about instead of Air’s “categories”. If I’m a couple and care about fast wifi but also want a kitchen…that’s our place, but that’s not a category. Sorry for the rambling.

3 Likes

I’ve wondered about the keyword search, and i could be completely wrong, but my two theories are:

1. every time they add something guests can search for, they’re creating more pressure on their servers. The search software has to go through the relevant data in every listing. That’s a lot of cpu time they might rather not spend. Servers aren’t cheap. If they make everything searchable, that’s… a lot of data. And the more hosts they have, the more data to search through. The more potential guests, the more time each database is being hit. Gives the sys admins nightmares, I’m sure.

2. i don’t know all the dog whistle terms, but for instance, “urban” is used by some hosts to indicate “Dude. My neighborhood is not lily white. Please deal.” I’m sure there are hosts (or guests) who would search for other terms… say, “Pepe-friendly” to find like-minded people. I learned in the last few years that adding “K” to a business name in the south used to indicate they were kkk friendly. I really don’t want to look up Krispy Kreme’s history… But i can see “Karen’s Kozy Kastle” raising some eyebrows.

Airbnb does not want to get sued by anyone who could claim (with evidence, given a freedom of information request or a lawyer with access to guest search terms) that they were a platform for white supremacists to find each other. They have enough trouble with casual racism.

So, those are my theories on why they got rid of the key word phrase.

4 Likes

Oh really? That sounds good!!!

There is at least one lengthy thread on this topic. I’m sure I could dig it out if you can’t find it yourself.

Alia, my eyes are rolling so fast that my head is rattling …:roll_eyes::roll_eyes::roll_eyes: When I read “pepe-friendly” I thought that must be me as we have a blow-up pool unicorn named Pepe who is very popular with guests. And of course, being in Spain it might mean that we welcome Spanish guests as much as foreign tourists (Pepe is a nickname for Jose) However. I googled and have now been enlightened. I rather wish I hadn’t …

1 Like

CPU time really isn’t that expensive, but setting things up can be, because programmer time is relatively expensive. Also, whoever runs the software side of things isn’t that good at dealing with bugs, so maybe they want to keep things simple. Just random speculation.

sorry! I was trying to think of a thing that sounded innocent but really wasn’t.

(One of the) sad things is, the original artist has no ties to the bigots and is horrified that his cartoon has taken on this awful new life.