NEW AIRBNB CATAGORIES --for search purposes

Currently there are only 3 AIRBNB search catagories: “ENTIRE HOME/APT”, “PRIVATE ROOM”, “SHARED ROOM”. I would like to see new CATAGORIES added to assist guests in finding what suits their needs. This would help hosts not having to explain things in detail every time they communicate with a potential guests --hoping to reduce over-blown expectations. These new catagories would include:

"SEMI-PRIVATE ROOM (PRIVATE BY NIGHT, SHARED BY DAY) to distinquish from shared room, which makes me think of a hostel “BEACH / OCEAN FRONT” (and/or “WATER/RIVER, LAKE FRONT” catatories), “FULL BREAKFAST”, “UNUSUAL (location or accomodation)”, “GUEST HOUSE”, “RESIDENT HOSTED” “NON-RESIDENT HOSTED”

I hope members of this forum will add more suggestions (or feeback) to this new catatgory list. I promise to forward it to Chip Conley, Head of Airbnb Hospitality.

Thank you!
Wendy

1 Like

Hi Wendy,

I’d love the ‘waterfront’ option. A little off topic but I’d like to know what others think about having an option for ‘onsite manager’ in the amenities list.

3 Likes

Also private lockable space attached to main property. That’s what I have.

2 Likes

My opinion is that the 3 main categories are enough. Better keep it simple or we’ll end up with dozens of buttons. The sleek design of the website is part of Airbnb’s appeal compared to the competition, in my opinion. Have you heard about the psychology of choice theory ? Too many choices and customers get overwhelmed and don’t buy anything !

The categories you list, Taratree, would make nice additions to “Amenities” though, visible only when potential guests click on ‘more filters’.

1 Like

A lot of people would be helped by being able to list 2 bedrooms on the private room tab for those who list two rooms as a set. Maybe a Private Room(s) instead of Private Room option would be better.

3 Likes

Amen and amen!!! I did bring that up to a manager at air who seemed enthused with the idea and said she’d forward it on - that in itself wouldn’t add a button even - just the ability to have ‘shared’ but multiple bedrooms.

1 Like

That’s a good point, Barthelemy, but they could add some of these things under ‘more options’ or ‘refine search’

1 Like

Good point! Would also like tha have an option for CAMPING/TENT.

2 Likes

Or if you are in Hawaii, “Hammock on the lanai.”

When I first opened my Air rental some six years ago, the Air photographer came out to take pics and exclaimed, “wow, this is really nice compared to what most people have… Hammocks on the lanai or a tent in the yard for $50 a night.”

LOL. Does the backyard tent come with flashlights, graham crackers and parcheesi?

2 Likes

And they should allow you to put more than one bedroom under private room, otherwise your forced to list as entire place, even though it could be, say, 2 rooms in a 3 room house!!!

2 Likes

I have my set -up as “two upstairs rooms and bathroom as one whole room”…my listing title is “private room(s) and bath in house”. I would also like to see a category as 2 rooms as a set.

1 Like

There’s a guy in my neighborhood who books a tent in his backyard (a nice one). He puts it under the category of “entire place/apartment” - he has nothing but good reviews.The profile photo shows the tent set-up.

1 Like