Netflix dongle - how to secure it?

I’m thinking of offering Netflix (since I already have a subscription, might as well share it with guests?), but am scratching my head as to how best to offer it. I thought of two budget options, with pros and cons:

1. Amazon fire stick - $70. Most straight forward and operates on a remote. Cons: I’m really afraid of guests taking off with the device. It’s small, portable, and any guest can just unplug the stick and make off with it.

2. Used PS3 - $70-$80 - plenty of old PS3s that can offer Netflix streaming and many of the used ones even throw in a few games. Cons: Not as straightforward to operate. Remote controller is clunky and Sony is famous for updating their software every fortnight.

3. Chromecast - $58 - Straightforward but doesn’t come with a remote and guests will have to download a netflix app and login. Cons: I doubt guests will remember to “logout” of the app when checkout. Those who are not tech savvy will either bother me with queries or complain.

The Amazon fire stick is the best option for me, but I’m really worried about customers making off with it. Has anyone tried securing the stick?

Mine was a second hand Apple tv

1 Like

Any smart TV will do Netflix.
Otherwise if you use a Firestick you can charge them if they steal it. (Incidentally I have given up on the remote and now use my phone).
You know if you just put a USB lead in the back of the TV then guests could put the micro end into their laptop or tablet and watch it that way.
The thing that has put me off offering Netflix is having to change the password all the time. Otherwise they can log in and use it remotely after check out.

1 Like

A Roku stick costs about $30 and maybe even less if you can find one used. Not only can you add Netflix but there are other shows. I have velcro on the dresser and on the remotes. I also have very detailed instructions on how to use the remotes.

3 Likes

If you haven’t had issues with theft then I wouldn’t worry about it. I have a Roku and have no concerns whatever about it being stolen.

3 Likes

Agreed. We have an actual Roku brand device to deliver Netflix, Amazon and Hulu, along with cable TV. The device is about the size of a deck of cards. We’ve had no issues with theft, except for umbrellas, LOL!

@Jess1, Do you have a Smart TV? Or a Roku? I’m wondering why you need to change you PW all the time for Netflix and wonder if I need to learn something here. With our set up, we have a Roku device attached to the not smart TV. When the TV is turned on, it goes directly to the Roku screen and gives guests the option of Netflix, Hulu and Amazon Prime, already logged in to our accounts for each service. We’ve configured it so guests can’t access the controls to log in or out without a pass code. We deny requests to let people log into their own accounts.

1 Like

We have a roku and a Netflix channel for guests to use along with one for each of us.

1 Like

I have a smart TV, one connected to Virgin cable and another with a Firestick. Yes my TVs are signed in all the time, but if a guest were to want Netflix on their laptop etc. they’d have to get my password etc…

1 Like

Oh, I see. Thanks for explaining that. Our guests have 50" flat screen hi def TVs with Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime and Cable. Too bad if they want to watch on their latptop.

2 Likes

We had great luck with our Fire Stick for a year and a half before we got our Roku TV. We never had anyone attempt to take it–or anything else, for that matter. Well, I take that back, I “lose” washcloths for whatever reason. Anyhoo, just put it on your checklist to ensure it is in place for every turnover.

By the way, your listing is gorgeous!

1 Like

Isn’t it just! I adore those baskets on the wall. On the lookout for ideas for furnishing our new apartment in Cape Town, so will be scoping everyone’s listing for ideas to steal … er, borrow …

2 Likes

It is the best way, you know!

1 Like

@crowntown @malagachica . Thanks! that makes me happy to hear. The centerpiece alone took me all of 4 weeks to source all the required materials from different shops and states, and finally put together by a professional art hanger.

In honesty, I regret spending that much effort and time putting this up (and other decor around the house) , as it seems the main factor driving bookings are really just price and service (reviews). I’m also constantly worrying whether people will destroy the artpiece (pull out the baskets etc).

We use the FireStick plus an additional remote called a “SideClick”…The SideClick ‘clicks’ to the FireStick remote and is programmable, like a universal remote so the two together replace all of the other remotes so everything is all together in one place. I created a label to put on the SideClick so guests know which button does what. So far, no complaints and we’ve been doing this for going on 2 years. I do have a rather extensive laminated instruction sheet that explains how everything works. Also… We have the FireTV in our personal space and I really can’t detect any major difference between the FireStick & FireTV that would warrant spending the extra money.