Negative review because of AirBnB

We got a negative review from a guest because of the description of our property/space. AirBNB acknowledged we described it correctly according to the drop down menu, which we checked before we listed. Guest complained because it was inaccurate and gave a 1* for accuracy and tanked our stellar reviews. Airbnb said the guest was wrong but will not remove the review. WE spoke to 2 people at AirBNB via phone and text and now they will not talk to us any further. I want the review removed and the ratings restored. AirBnB created the negative review because they will not allow us to describe the listing outside their drop down menu. Despite the fact that we describe several times in our listing that the space is a secured 3bed, 1 bath, lower level walkout and it is our residence, many people don’t read beyond the title. Any idea what we can do?

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/613236690684296864?adults=2&children=0&infants=0&location=Dandridge%20Tennessee%2C%20United%20States&check_in=2022-09-28&check_out=2022-09-30&federated_search_id=f44e5ed1-709041c7bc46bcba9dfb0773&source_impression_id=p3_1664309217_yypUbt6S5kSaCzwE.

Not sure what you mean by that. What drop-down menu are you referring to?

Your description seems pretty clear and comprehensive to me, but you don’t say anywhere that the host occupies the upstairs, which is important to do when it isn’t an entire house listing. So while you do make it clear that it’s the basement level, you also should make the shared house situation clear.

And I would remove the photo of the outside showing the entire structure. It confuses the issue.

If you can’t get the review removed, leave a brief response. Something like “We are happy to hear the guest enjoyed our place and the amenities. It’s unfortunate that she didn’t notice the clear listing wording that indicates the rental is the full basement level only.”

4 Likes

It’s listed as an entire home. This is a common complaint. Airbnb gives three choices in the type of place category:

It makes perfect sense to list as entire place but then guests think they are getting a stand alone home, or in my case, one person thought they got an entire apartment with kitchen. This was despite no kitchen being pictured or listed.

3 Likes

The listing is categorized as “entire place” because AIRBNB only gives three classifications. Entire place, single room, or shared room. We’ve had discussions with them and they advised us to list this as an entire place because those were our only options. As stated by AIRBNB this is the criteria for an entire place: “Guests will have the whole place to themselves, including a private entrance and no shared spaces. An entire place usually includes a bedroom, a bathroom, and a kitchen.” All of those and more are included and it is secured from the top level.

1 Like

You may want to consider what I do. I own a (legal) duplex. I list mine as an entire home, but add the word ‘duplex’ in there a few times so people get the idea that it’s a part of a larger building, yet self-contained.

Now that I’ve looked at it… I’ve never been a fan of new construction, but wow your place is BEAUTIFUL!!!

1 Like

For this case, move on. Maybe the review where she states that’s the only issue will help you avoid this in the future.

In your description change the first paragraph. Instead of “Looking for peace & tranquility or corporate meeting space? You found the right place!” put something like “Basement walkout with views. We live on the first floor.” I can’t imagine a corporate meeting space as a home with mom and dad upstairs either.

5 Likes

I see. Yes, Airbnb needs to do better with the choices. This is a common guest misunderstanding when only one level, self-contained, is the listing.

Making it clear that the host lives upstairs serves another useful purpose as well- it wards away partier types and those who intend to sneak in extra guests or pets, who are looking for entire homes where they assume they can get away with it.

3 Likes

This is my first experience with this forum - all great recommendations. Thank you!

Most folks don’t understand what a walk out is. Instead of saying “walkout” on your title, perhaps it should say “basement apartment in our home with private entrance.” I don’t see anywhere any indication that you live upstairs. I would mention it a couple of times throughout your house rules and description of the space. Something like “If you need anything, please let us know. We’re available 24/7 since we live upstairs.” Perhaps a better category would be “entire rental unit” instead of “entire home.”

4 Likes

Here we call them ‘daylight basement’ if it’s built into a hill. I’m trying to think of anything that sounds better than ‘basement’ Maybe something like ‘Spacious daylight basement with view, cozy farmhouse vibe, private patio for entertaining and large windows.’ I wouldn’t mention that you live upstairs, but that’s just me.

2 Likes

Yes, “Walkout” is a term I am totally unfamiliar with.

2 Likes

Thank you very much! We appreciate that!

Agreed. Taking all the comments in to adjust the description - if people actually read!

3 Likes

We were as well, but a lot of properties in E TN have walkouts because they are basement built into a hill. Step out the front door and you are on a private deck facing the lake.

Could you accurately call it “Ground floor full suite”? It doesn’t really look like what I would call a basement. When most people think “basement”, it usually would be with those small windows high up on the wall that are just above ground level. At least I do.

2 Likes

Maybe that’s what you should write “step out the front door of our walkout basement apartment and you’re on your own private deck facing the lake.” I agree with others, the space is gorgeous!

1 Like

Agreed. I has a basement in the MW and it’s not at all a typical basement. I like where you are going though!

Thank you so much! Much appreciated!

1 Like

yes, i’ve no clue, but I’m not American.

I have a listing that is half of my house, and it doesn’t say “entire home”, rather “guest suite”
Perhaps this will work better?

4 Likes

So I just had a look, perhaps see if you can change it, here are my options that got me to that point:

3 Likes