Needier guests in 2020?

Interesting I had a similar request and I denied it. I explained that for the extras I offered my price was competitive. She insisted on wanting me to match a room in a shared home price for my 750 sq ft entire home rental because it was for two guests. NOPE. NOPITiy NOPE NOPE

7 Likes

Likity, like like like.

4 Likes

Currently I only have STVR and We have just been lucky to have had the guests that we have had. We are having record Numbers for the better. I do get a lot of people that want to check in and out early and late but I don’t allow it and specifically let them know that the extra cleaning protocols for Covid don’t allow for accommodating their request.

2 Likes

My most recent request asked for late checkout and about the wifi speed. They would arrive late then stay most of the next day working online and then check out at 4 pm. Because I’m leaving 1 or more days between guests I could accomodate it. So I replied with the info within 30 minutes and said I’ll allow it. But he didn’t book in and 24 hours to think about it I decided I wasn’t interested so I blocked the dates. If he writes back and asks why it isn’t available I’ll decide then if I want to host him or not.

There may be needier guests but there’s at least one pickier host…me. Even at my higher priced rates I’m not sure it’s worth dealing with for one night’s income.

3 Likes

I think you are not alone. Plus one nighters drag in the same luggage and ding walls the same as 3 nighters.

1 Like

So the 1940’s term Hipster is being recycled now?

I guess so. Everything old is new again.

Oh honey. Hipster is so 2018 but still valid.
Man bun hair check, facial hair check, gig economy employed (so really hurting now) check.

If you watch “shameless” on showtime, a season or two ago they turned the locals bar in south side Chicago into a hipster bar.

I about fell out of my chair laughing—-I feel like I know those people except here they would live in a mobile home (I grew up in one so no judgement), drive a pickup (Dad has one no judgement), and tote a huntin’ rifle and drink Budweiser. My people!!!

Hey I embrace my past, it helped shape who I am.

4 Likes

I’ve not experienced the “few travelers” you mention. I’ve had more than I would have thought as I described here:

I have not hosted the “needy” types you mention. The Millennials and GenZ’s I’ve hosted, all have been VERY self sufficient, and required little attention.

I do get asked more often of late about WiFI speed and what I offer has been welcomed by the Tech Nomads.

I have had one inquiry try to negotiate a discount, and I quickly declined. In looking at that thread again, it definitely is the type of guest OP describes, and am grateful I declined their multiple attempts to book.

My listing states that flexible checkin is available (when possible). With the buffer day between guests, it is usually possible. I don’t have an issue with a guest who wants to checkin early or needs a little extra time to checkout.

Since it doesn’t impact me, I take the initiative to offer it, as affords another opportunity to create a positive impression on the guest. All I ask is that they give me an ETA and an ETD so that I can plan accordingly but the majority are within my posted 3pm checkin / 11am checkout in my house rules.

2 Likes

As I mentioned above I decided to block off the days the guy wanted with flexible check in. I didn’t hear back from him, he didn’t even bother with the courtesy of a reply. Meanwhile I got four other bookings for other days this month. 3 of 4 have pets and are paying pet fees and now I have a cleaning fee and overall my price average for this month is 25% higher than pre-pandemic. I’d rather have fewer guests and same income.

3 Likes

Definitely. One lady wanted to stay for a month “convalescing”.

Triple Likity

I thought I was the only one who did the Foot tap tap tappity tap Nope Nope Nopity Nope :wink:

3 Likes

The number of ‘special requests’ we’ve had this year has been astonishing! I love to cater to guests needs but they’re definitely taking advantage. Im scared to say no and receive a bad review.

1 Like

I’ll add this to the library of needier inquiries, and fortunately not a guest.

1. Shade by a pool? Said no one ever (until this inquiry)
  2. I’m not sure if he was looking for a discount to offset paying for a 3 day stay, when staying for 2 days , OR if he was actually looking to stay for 3 days and needed a discount to meet his budget.

Discount requests are my red flag :triangular_flag_on_post: Do not pass Go. Do not collect $200.

7 Likes

Definitely getting the early arrival requests but I get the feeling that guests are really trying hard to get more bang for their buck. Recent guest took at least 3 rolls of toilet paper. Puzzling. Short visit so no way they used it all.

1 Like

Unless you found the cardboard roller in the trash they took it. It’s annoying and I only leave one roll, no extra. I can do that because I live right here and if they want more I can give it to them. I used to leave extra until the pandemic hit. Now I have to make sure there’s not another shortage so I’m stingier.

It almost makes you want to say something in the private message part.

2 Likes

I still scratch my head at that whole TP shortage in March / April. WTF?

I’ve not really encountered guests who took more than needed, at least within a reasonable range.

My guess is the difference between your guests and mine, are that yours are driving through while my guests typically are flying in / out.

When there were shortages, I feared it may lead to abuse so I added a line (since removed) in my Covid preparation note asking that guests be considerate of TP usage to ensure there would be enough for subsequent guests.

3 Likes

This is true. Most of my guests drive from 2 to 3 hours away. This is the first time anyone ran off with the toilet paper, though. Guess I will have to leave less out. Sheez!

1 Like

I was considering that but they inadvertantly left behind a whole box of very expensive, very yummy high protein snacks and they were ideal guests in all other ways so I opted not too.

3 Likes

LOL. Good trade. Maybe they were genuinely in need of the TP.

In any case, at $1 or less per roll, it’s not hard to raise the price a little and let everyone pay for the thieves.

2 Likes