Need Help Averting Possible Issue with Guest Checking In Tomorrow

I understand your pain…my first guest was one of those that do not read the listing details, house rules, and have high standard. gave me 3* for locations and values…and it’s very hard to pump up those numbers once you got one. And believe me, I actually read his comments from other hosts and everything seem fine. One thing to note is that I didn’t read his comments to other hosts. I learned my lesson not to approve the booking request until my future guests confirm with my private messages addressing my concerns.

1 Like

On occasion I think someone just has fat fingers and taps the wrong spot. I once got a raving, glowing review. The woman loved it and booked my place for her return trip. She also gave me the only one star I’ve had out of over 500 reviews. I messaged her and she said she would contact Airbnb. Airbnb told her they couldn’t do anything. Even though it doesn’t really matter it’s still annoying to have it sit there.

1 Like

Please let us know what review your guests left.

1 Like

oh wow, what a response. I like it but not sure if that will provoke my guests and leave me bad review…

1 Like

@Van
I believe it was his response to the review they left. Nothing to lose at that point and sets expectations for other guests.

I hope she’s not 2-faced like that, that would bother me more than anything!

Right? I love it when I see reviews that read like the answer to an essay question, carefully stating pros and cons with just the right dash of arrogance so as to sound sophisticated like they’re reviewing the friggin ballet or something.

1 Like

You mean the pictures of the guests and hosts? It’s always seemed a little funny to me to have photos of each other but I guess it all started with the community idea and at the same time as social media generally. There are a lot of guests that have never known traveling without so much information. Honestly, it was easier and more fun when I had to pay $3 for the youth hostels catalog and dog ear a page as I got close to a destination and then, of course, find a pay phone to call and secure a spot. Didn’t even get photos of the space usually, just a description. The heresy!

I would miss the reviews though. As much stress as they cause, there is a certain amount of accountability, of ‘skin in the game’ for the guest that I think makes airbnb unique in a good way.

1 Like

She was heading to a big family event after us so I imagine she’s busy. She’s an experienced guest and knows the gig and I expect that she will leave a (good) review eventually. But, if she doesn’t leave one, that’s okay too. I’ve found that people who are going to leave great reviews are self-compelled to do it. I don’t want to drag one out of anyone who isn’t inspired ,)

Yes, not pictures of the listings.

Just like hotels, hostels, zimmer frei, bed and breakfasts, no one used to know what I looked liked when I booked. And I never knew what the hotel owners looked like. Well, when driving through the American South and seeing those racist “American owned” billboards for motels I had an idea of what those proprietors looked like and knew not to stop there.

I obviously love the reviews. But if they go away I’ll be okay and a lot of people won’t. I bet 90% of them keep doing Airbnb though. Just think how much money could be saved on CS without all those calls about reviews. Maybe they could slow down our fee increases.

1 Like

Of course. But reminded me that I did use to book accommodations, hostels and hotels too, without seeing pictures at all, much less of the guy at the front desk. I can’t imagine doing that now.

I’m not sure how I feel about that idea. Mine are private apartments but all within a larger house and I’ve been sold on the idea that I should vet my guests and that their reviews are important. But maybe I don’t need them. I’m willing to entertain the idea of not having them. Though I think I’d rather do a more traditional rental with tenants at that point so I would meet them face to face at least and have a deposit and lease that I control. But I might adjust to guests not having reviews, I’m pretty adjustable, but not sure.

1 Like

OK, I am totally stumped. How do you review reviews left by the guest. I am only able to read the reviews left by hosts about the guest. What am I doing wrong please all you fabulous people out there.

1 Like

I completely agree Van. I keep getting 4* stars for value and location. Location is self evident on the map and once the reservation is confirmed it is very evident with an address and all. Value, I am the lowest cost of all in my area and nearly all in the whole of the major city. Photos illustrate every room. Then some mention noise…it is a city and I have double glazed windows. So I yo yo between super host and not superhost. HOWEVER I have taken the advice from this forum and stopped responding to reviews. Good advice whoever gave me that. Thank you. Still gives me the pip. To be polite.

1 Like

Chrome Airreview extension

2 Likes

Lots of guests, especially booking on the app never look at the map.

Yes you would think they would look at the map and check you out carefully after booking but many don’t, especially if they are on vacation. Where are you, what kind of guests do you get. What kind of location are they looking for?

I figure out early on what I had to offer: a room for the night, off street safe parking (unlike notoriously unsafe hotel parking lots), close to the major highway that goes through the only major city for hundreds of miles in either direction. Road trippers stop here. So I put my location in the title of my listing. Who needs a listing title that says the same thing as everyone else’s title? (Cosy cottage in the Cotswolds) Mention location several places in your listing. If your guest indicates they are coming to your town for an event that is across town, let them know you aren’t close to that and say they can cancel ASAP and get a refund.

Value and cost are not the same. If I buy cheap shoes and they hurt my feet they are of no value to me. I actually got better ratings as I raised my price but I also put a lot of effort into maintaining and cleaning. I’m always improving the room (carpet out, tile in; drapes out, plantation shutters in) but if you can’t afford that there are still little things you can do. Put a dollar’s worth of bottled water and a snack bar or chocolate on the pillow and raise the price two dollars. You might be surprised. Or maybe not, I could be wrong. What do I know?

Earplugs and some sort of white noise generator, even if it’s just a fan.

But don’t keep doing the same thing and expect different results.

2 Likes

I get these guests too, who complain about noise and location. Different guests can have wildly different reviews. For example, many of my Singapore/Malaysian guests expect a convenience store, a restaurant, cafes and what-nots located within 50 metres walking distance or else the location is a 4 star (one even gave 3). That’s because most Singapore/malaysian guests are generally urban dwellers used to having infrastructure all cramped near the apartments. Guests from Europe on the other hand are delighted with the location which is a mere 25 minutes walk from CBD.

After going through countless set of guests you sorta develop an instinct as to when to expect a favourable review / what type of guests to avoid etc. Without any discrimination to race or gender wise, i tend to avoid bargain hunters, guests from a specific Asian country (tend to disrespect house rules), and those with no reviews. Those whose booking intentions are unclear I generally request them to answer additional questions, and will state upfront where we may potentially fall short. For example, I was very upfront with one student guest that we didn’t have a study table and we are not set up for students - she was okay with it and didn’t leave us a bad review in the end.

For potentially problematic guests already staying here I try to stave off a bad review by:

1. Interacting with them as much as possible - i notice once you build rapport guests are less inclined to post a bad review.
  2. Not encouraging them to leave a review by not leaving a review for them as well.
  3. Give them some extras like food, local tips, extra towels, special coffee etc to curry favor.

So far the above strategy’s worked out pretty well for me.

The new one…

Truly? That’s a real thing?

Here’s two from the first page of google images results.

am1 am2

I now avoid businesses that say “in God we trust,” “American owned,” have US flags on them, crosses or fish on them. I’m even nervous about “veteran owned.” Sad, sad, sad.

3 Likes

Yes, of course. I got my aphorisms mixed up (Money is King / Money is the new God). I’m sorry, no offence intended :frowning: