Need advice: really demanding guest or do I need to improve?

SubZero refrigerators are built-in, so the new buyer would have to find one with the exact same dimensions to fit. And the kitchen is designed as a whole, so replacing the refrigerator might make the rest of the kitchen not “flow” (designer speak for look as good together).

We haven’t had to sell our house yet, but I’m assuming the built-in appliances will stay with the house. The funny part about the discussion is that the washer and dryer are the least built-in appliances I have in my house!

It’s just because its a huge built-in that came with the house. Anything less we’d have to re-do the cabinets. We definitely don’t desire to spend that much on a fridge! Haha.

Fixtures are those items that are affixed to the property…foyer mantel, built-in wine rack, ceiling fans, chandelier, etc. They are things that are nailed, screwed, glued, etc, to the walls, ceiling and floors.

Appliances are not generally considered fixtures; they are appliances. If they are not included in the sale, they are so specified.

Furniture is generally considered what one would think…they are movable pieces such as sofas, tables, chairs, bar stools, etc.) as opposed to built-in wall cabinets, etc. Those items would fall under the fixtures category and should not be removed.

Furnishings is the category for generally all else – the décor items (paintings, vases, wall mirrors, etc.), window curtains, etc.

Turn-key means everything that you see (generally) is included…right down to the vacuum cleaner, china, flatware, lawn equipment, liquor…you name it. Whatever the seller has not specifically named as an exclusion is yours under the sale.

Voice of experience.

1 Like

Not the same here in MA. It is really a local thing.

1 Like

In Southern California a lot of appliances are powered by natural gas so they are affixed to the property. Gas ranges, washing machines and/or dryers can’t just be unplugged.

1 Like

In England, where I bought an apartment in 2002 everything goes. Including curtains.

Thus my use of the operative word “generally”.

1 Like

There are other built ins now

Is it true it is expected in UK that you replace the toilet seats when the house is sold? I had a realtor friend here in U.S. tell me about some Brit clients that expected this . . .

1 Like

We have a very large GE Monogram. We do not have a Sub-Zero. But a fridge this size no matter what costs a lot of money. We have now added signs for our guests that go over the temp settings to say, “DO NOT TOUCH.” Sad state when you have to tell people how to use a fridge.

1 Like

There was a funny uk movie called the broken chain (I think) where one house sale falls thru and it affects all the other. Buyers. In it, one family took all the light bulbs when they moved.

1 Like

Line drying: maybe this is a dumb question.

But don’t birds ever poop on your sheets? Or squirrels (or what-have-you) ever scuttle across/hang off of them?

No one line dries here. I can’t imagine it! In some places it’s even banned.

I’ve never, ever heard of this before here in the UK!

2 Likes

I have the lines running under my eaves on a hidden side of the house. It gets dry from ocean breezes in no time. No gecko or bird poop ever on the laundry. Geckos and their poop in the house is another story.

2 Likes

Always line dry in Australia although I have a dryer for when you get days of rain. Love the smell of line dry clothes

2 Likes

It’s a very low price for CA for such a big house. You guest wants to cash out of very minor issues. Towels were not laid out for her? What a little princess she is. Then in 5* hotel where she would pay 600$ for a room with one bed she would have her towels laid out.
Microwave was not clean for them? Then get a paper towel and within seconds you have your clean microwave.
Because of that they went out??? It’s a joke !

She just want money, and being an ass. Don’t refund her anything .

They were there for 2 nights only. Why did they rent the house? To eat?

This has happened a lot more than the scenario @JamJerrupSunset outlines. In fact, it’s been the 5-starrers who’ve sometimes gently pointed out things to improve in the private section.

1 Like

Yup. I’m four summers, one bird has pooped- so I washed that sheet again.

Considering what messes guests leave behind, I’m not concerned by nature’s occasional … gift?

1 Like