Need advice about potential damage control

Input needed!

The washing machine at my property is pretty hard core and does a great and efficient job. When we bought the house we noticed that a large, unremovable rubber band component just on the inside of the washer (it’s a front loader) has discoloration. It is not active mold (there is nothing growing) and it smells like nothing but I have not been successful in getting it off so it just remains discolored/stained. I am actually not even sure if the band IS replaceable or if I would need to get a new washer altogether. Anyway, to date no one (other than the cleaner) has done laundry at my property or if they did I never heard anything about this from an occupant.

Someone this weekend either decided to do laundry OR was just poking around in the laundry area and gave me a 4 for cleanliness (not the end of the world as the overall rating was 5) but I did ask why the 4 as “your feedback is important and we are always looking for ways to improve” and she told me about the ‘mold’ – this was today.

I am going to try and address the discoloration again when I am next at the property BUT here’s the deal… also today, I had a family check in with a kid and an infant for 4 nights. I am worried with all the baby clothes they might do laundry.

Here is the question… Do I send a note to the current occupants to say this just came to my attention and it’s nothing to be concerned about. Nothing is wrong with the washer. But in case you do laundry… etc…. OR do I say nothing and risk them actually doing laundry and potentially having a problem with it and then getting dinged on the review?

Thank you!!

If you are absolutely sure it is not mold, in the future you might put a little laminated sign on the washer indicating that you are aware of the discoloration and have investigated and know that it is not mold. Then if the person doesn’t do laundry or go near it, it isn’t even an issue. You might ask the family if they intend to do laundry and if they say no, ignore it, explain if they say yes.

3 Likes

every single front loader i’ve owned (3 so far) gets this discolouration, and i’ve never been able to remove it either.

4 Likes

How about a message like,
"Hi XX, I hope you have settled in okay and are comfortable. I just wanted to let you know that my previous guest mentioned that she perceived “mold” on the washing machine rubber gasket and want to reassure you that it is definitely not mold or anything dirty.

It’s just a discoloration that has been there for a long time (and that I have read is common with front loaders), that I have attacked with bleach and various other cleaning products, to no avail. I have no idea what causes it in the first place, but rest assured the machine is always thoroughly cleaned between bookings."

3 Likes

I am actually really glad to hear this! But now it makes me want to include a little sign (as another member recommended). My husband was going to replace the band but it sounds like this will just happen again…

1 Like

my rubber seal is dark grey, this hides the discolouration, but i can still see it, my other machines has a lighter colour. I’ve tried bleach, clove oil, vinegar… nothing works. Of course you do still have to give that space a good degunking once a week, like the rubber seal on a fridge.

1 Like

Thank you! Yes - so I did end up writing something like that to the current occupant. I like your wording better but I think I did OK lol

Looks like my next step is to make a little sign for the laundry area.

I have an electric toothbrush, the handle of which is some kind of rubbery material. It also gets some sort of black discoloration on the handle, which looks like black mold, but isn’t.

I suspect that both the “rubber” gasket on the washing machines and on my toothbrush handle are some sort of synthetic rubber which discolors when exposed to wet, warm, conditions.

2 Likes

Makes sense! Never had a front loader washer before so this was new… could have been worse (she still gave us a 5 star overall) but MAN… I think I need to nip this one quick! :slight_smile:

I suspect many americans aren’t used to front loaders. you might be able to get ahead of this by doing a weekly vinegar soak (not that easy as the rubber has drain holes). I will often do a spray of the area with vinegar, let sit for 5 mins, and then do a load and :pray:t2: Despite what google will claim, I’ve never been able to get rid of this “mould”, clove oil is a good weekly prevention to spray on as well. In theory.

2 Likes

Agree with the idea of a note… in the note perhaps explicitly attribute the discolouration as a “natural process as the gasket ages. It is not mold and does not transfer to clothing that rubs against it…” and assure the reader that “as part of our routine housekeeping process this gasket is sprayed with disinfectant and wiped down [once a week/every time we prepare for a new guest/etc]”

1 Like

Here is where I landed:

We are aware of the discoloration inside of this washer on the rubber gasket seal. This is NOT mold. This discoloration is common with front load washers and occurs naturally as the gasket ages. It has NO impact on the performance or cleanliness of this washing machine and it has NO impact on your laundry. Just for good measure, it is routinely disinfected as part of our guest turnover procedures.

Happy washing!
(insert funny laundry graphic here) :slight_smile:

4 Likes

4 Likes

woman-doing-laundry-finds-a-ransom-note-in-the-dryer-reading-we-have-you-new-yorker-cartoon_u-L-PGQHCL0

5 Likes

you-wish-new-yorker-cartoon_u-L-PGQMR90

6 Likes

We have a new LG front loader. The operating instructions are very specific. After a load, if not running another load, wipe moisture off the door glass and the rubber seal and leave the door open to allow the interior to dry. There’s even a magnet that will hold the door an inch open for you. Also, run the tub clean cycle with a tub cleaning puck once a month or every 30 cycles.

2 Likes

mine probably says the same but that’s not practical, esp if you’re doing the load in the middle of the night (to access off peak energy rates). I actually leave the door to the washer open as often as I can, to avoid too much moisture.

1 Like

My washer and dryer are in my 140 year old cellar. If I left the front loader open an inch, no telling what I might find in there. A mouse once scared me and I dropped a whole load of clean wet clothes right on top of him.

4 Likes

This is how new products get designed. I envision a round screen that fits on the front of an open dryer so it can dry out well with nothing unwanted getting in.

2 Likes

With a slider door so it doesn’t have to stick out a couple feet while it is drying!