Nearby host is falsely listing parking on site as amenity

Now that made me laugh out loud.

That spaghetti dinner my daughter purged looked just like it did on the plate, as it hadn’t been more than 10 minutes from ingestion to rejection.

Sounds like a male thing, that they could vomit without even waking up. As well as being up for some more food when his mouth still tastes like puke. :rofl:

1 Like

Isn’t Bolton a small town near Bury …?

I am surprised anyone actually wants to go there … (from a Mancunian LOL)

seriously, try not to let it get to you, work on what you have and can do to improve your own listing - life isnt fair and neither is the world business, including Airbnb!

1 Like

THIS is why I love this forum lol! Thanks all for expanding my worldview…

As far as I remember, Bolton is a fantastic place. Lots of history, architecture and scenery.

Of course, it’s on the wrong side of the hills.

:rofl:

As others have said, it’s better to concentrate on your own business than what people around are doing.

We have many, many STRs within a few hundred yards. If they aren’t honest and legal, they’ll disappear.

4 Likes

funny story, in our 20s on our first trip to the USA we went to a Denny’s, as a curious tourist thing (we don’t have anything like it in Australia). it was as expected, pretty gross, and after we left my future husband walked to a row of bushes and threw it all up. on purpose.

or, on demand! future-husband calmly said “i’m not letting that stay in my body for 1 minute longer” !! haha.

back on topic, @Tomdhu are you different to the chap who has been posting about this in the abb forums? that person doesn’t even have an active listing. If you aren’t a host, and you are here trying to get other hosts to get involved, I don’t know what to say… we’ve already told you that abb don’t care and won’t get involved. go to your local council.

3 Likes

Yeah, we never ate at places like Denny’s either, except on a road trip through the US, where there really isn’t anywhere but chain restaurants to eat if you’re just stopping for the night at a motel off the freeway.

It’s one thing I like about road trips in Mexico. There are real places to eat everywhere (a friend told me that she figured out that the national sport of Mexico isn’t soccer, or cockfighting, it’s eating- they seem to be constantly eating) and almost any little hole in the wall place will have decent food- Mexican women know how to cook.

5 Likes

According to @muddy, it is the same person on the ABB CC forums and just won’t stop.

2 Likes

yes, except different names. the person in the forums is NOT a host, that’s why I have asked him if he’s a host and he has avoided answering.

4 Likes

I’ve just had a look at Eve’s listing https://www.airbnb.co.uk/rooms/42812345?adults=1&children=0&infants=0&check_in=2022-09-30&check_out=2022-10-02&federated_search_id=e1fc7855-0504-4978-a64d-32d023405aee&source_impression_id=p3_1653465191_CAejtY3WjFm11U%2BI
and it looks like a great little abb. I’ve also read quite a few of the reviews and it’s obvious that she is providing parking, albeit 2 minutes away from the rent. Guests do mention it in their reviews and say it’s not a problem and that they are given good directions to get there. So really, I would say that you should do some homework before moaning. As for the planning issues, that will resolve itself as the local authority move to enforcement and so, in the meantime, I would concentrate your energies on enhancing and improving your offer and if you haven’t got parking maybe see if you can negotiate a space off someone 2 minutes away from your rent.

2 Likes

@ jujuba
With that handle you could be a compatriot.

You advise me to do my homework and stop moaning. I did my homework by auditing the listing. Following my efforts the “Free parking on premises” has now disappeared. Thank you to the host for clearing that up.
As to the enforcement, that has now matured beyond the date stipulated for the premises to be vacated and the development work reversed.
If you check out the attached photo of the rear view you will see why an enforcement was issued.
Look at the roof ridge line and the massive vertical crack in the stone work.
If guests had a look out the back they would be horrified,

You may know more about Planning Regulations than the officials at Bolton MC but have a close look.
I appreciate that solidarity amongst hosts exists but this host is beyond the pale.

This has been one of our biggest problems with the way AibBnb has provided descriptions for parking and how hosts use them. When we travel in Europe we always have a rental car and parking is always the biggest consumer of time when booking airbnbs, with lots of messaging back and forth to the host to clarify exactly what the parking situation really is.

Can you provide a link to your listing @Tomdhu

No you can’t infer she’s providing parking . What she says is that you can park two minutes down the road OR outside the cottage as long as you don’t block neighbours - nowhere does she say she provides private off street parking

Particularly as she’s ticked the box to say there is on street parking.

Planning issues can take years to resolve so suggesting @Tomdhu waits for the council to sort things out isn’t helpful or realistic

@Helsi
You are coming to the party late.
When the thread was initiated, the host declared “Free parking on premises”

Give the host credit, this has now been deleted and a more representative description of the local parking has been created.

But that is just a small consideration given that the premises are not approved for residential use and the host has been served with an enforcement order to “Cease and Desist” by the local Council.
The host has ignored the enforcement order which also stipulates that the premises should revert to its previous usage as storage and all developments undone. Her appeal was rejected so she faces prosecution.

This forum isn’t going to participate in your campaign. I’m closing and unlisting this thread.

@ KKC
The listing for the premises was terminated in the end. So justice was done.

It does not happen very often, I know, but the violation was very significant