Naively checked "Breakfast provided" what is the minimum for my budget accommodation?

That’s such a low price for central London @beesnis. Look at what those with comparable properties are charging in your area. I charge more than that in Bristol.

Put your prices up. Charge more for a second guest in the room. Charge a small cleaning fee.

It doesn’t matter if it is ‘just a spare room’. You need to factor your time in and extra utilities, linens, towels when identifying costs.

2 Likes

I’m in total agreement regarding pricing - much too low for London. My wife paid £80 a couple of weeks ago for what sounds like a very similar room to yours in Zone 2. Check out your local competitors and see what they’re charging.

2 Likes

With prices so low you are going to get lots of people who want to save even more money by eating in. Raise them by double. Change the kitchen access now and you will be happier. Change the quiet time to ten and don’t let them get away with making noise after those hours. If they do, say something.

Take charge here.

4 Likes

We’ve been hosts since October 2017. We only take up to four guests a month (most stays 2 or 3 nights).

We have a loft room, like a little bed-sitter, the top floor of our four story house. The guests have a small fridge, microwave, kettle and Nespresso machine, and we provide coffee capsules (both decaf and regular), good quality tea bags (M&S Gold), sugar, good muesli, another cereal (Shreddies, bran flakes, etc.), milk type of their choice (cow, soy, oat, etc.), small bowl of fruit (usually apple and satsumas, maybe grapes), jar of quality biscuits. Most people eat their other meals out, some bring back takeaways, one brought all his own food, (There’s a little nest of chocolate eggs at the moment!) No one has ever complained and we get a lot of compliments on the little touches. We take £50 upwards (dynamic pricing) for two people and compared to other places around our area it’s good value for money, about the same as any good quality double room (ours is also ensuite), less than an apartment.

If they don’t eat the fruit or all the milk we do, and if they eat most of the cereal we eat the rest and fill up with new. We’ve decided against a toaster in the room because of crumbs, and against a hot plate of some sort because of splatters, having to have cookware, etc.

Not a lot of trouble once it was all set up and works for us!

I am hosting for 3 years and my favorite guests are those who eat out and don’t touch my kitchen at all.
I had my share of die hard cooks who even on vacation don’t
Mind spending half a day cooking. Very very rarely I get someone siperclean who cleans up so I don’t have to clean after them. To completely illuminate kitchen I don’t feel comfortable about but I set my rules and at this point my guests can cook minimum just to get by.

Isn’t perception a funny thing @Jess1 I see Sainsbury as being a medium range supermarket :blush: Ocado, M&S and Waitrose are our high end supermarkets.

Harrod’s even higher ! :rofl:

Harrods - a supermarket :hushed:wash your mouth out woman - it is an institution - the world’s most famous department store, bar none. How very dare you :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I have stayed at two airbnb’s that provided breakfast.

1. granola bars, instant oatmeal, and I could make my own coffee.
  2. claimed to have granola bars, but I never could find them.

They were both in South Dakota - it is a requirement there to be “certified” as an airbnb, and one of the requirements is to provide breakfast.

But… don’t they have a supermarket on the first floor? Well… high end Groceries. I’m a sainsburys fan myself.

They have a food halls my dear - supermarket indeedy :smile:

1 Like

Harrod’s. It reminds me of when we were in a travel group and there was a line of bagpipers marching through the shoppers. Pretty unique!

I also recall finding a wonderful little porcelain jam server, and the lid-grab consisted of several porcelain strawberries. It was perfect and the only one of its kind. I showed it to my travel friend as I was gushing over it and said I was going to get my other half since he had the money.

When I returned, my “friend” had purchased it for herself.

2 Likes

Here’s a photo I took of the lower level. Food hall, deli, groceries… it’s all there! :rofl: And all crazy expensive.

2 Likes

It is truly spectacular. Although I never bought anything there.

When I was at uni I became friends with a guy whose father had an account at Harrods which meant we got access to their amazing bar and could drink there for free with him (the son not the father ). What a summer that was :slight_smile:

https://www.harrods.com/en-gb/restaurants/fine-dining/the-champagne-bar

Just as I remember! Wish I could return…(sigh).

I hate being on tours in certain places. They never give you enough time to satisfy one’s visual hunger.

1 Like

I’m sure you know of this nice London travel tip. I wouldn’t have known had an English friend not taken us. You can have tea in the fantastic Criterion (sp) theatre for a reasonable price. She also took us to the top of the Tate Modern to have tea with fantastic views of the city. We tried not to look like country mice sitting in this fantastic place, but I swear the tea was affordable!

2 Likes

Sooo proper and civilized!

No, my experience featured highlights such as climbing to the upper deck of the bus, etc. (woo-hoo). :roll_eyes:

1 Like

Hmm. Harrods went a tad too glitzy when Moh’d al Fayed got his greasy little paws on it. I mean, that bloody great Egyptian sphinxy thing for an escalator! I haven’t been in for years but still go to Selfridges’ food hall, and Fortnums occasionally when in Town. When we were students in '70s, we used to go the the King’s Road branch of Safeway; it was just as good as Selfridges but much better value for exotica.

1 Like

The Dody Diana memorial set up in between floors seemed a bit tacky to me.
I also noticed the carpet on the upper floors seemed a bit threadbare. But not a surprise considering the heaps or touron plowing through there!

Harrods - OMG - I remember going on a Fifth-Form (aged 16) school trip from Essex to London to go to a lecture at the Science Museum in about 1965 - half of the lads on the coach wandered off and were all eventually caught shoplifting at Harrods - like the wolf coming down on the fold! Mass suspensions all round.

3 Likes