Myths and Legends

Another myth is that guests with prior positive reviews will be good guests

7 Likes

I don’t disagree with you. My point was the information was presented from 3 different sources, different formats, different tones, different writers and at different times (not all at one time).

If the guests had read any ONE of the documents they would be known what to do.

Guests not reading information provided by hosts seems to have gotten worse in the past couple years.

I think it is because increasingly guests see an Airbnb rental to be the same as a hotel where you make your reservation and simply show up.

2 Likes

Curious what the problem was. I constantly have people driving and parking on my rural and suburban lawns, even with fines against it in the House Rules.

I don’t know if this will help but our problem was people were parking adjacent to the sign we have for our rental rather than in front of it. It turned out to be 2 problems: 1 was the sign was initally in a spot that felt to them like it was on a slope (it wasn’t, but it was too close). The 2 problem was people didn’t want to block the sign - which surprised me because the rental is only 1 unit (and they knew that).

The resolution: We ask them in our welcome email to please park in front of the sign and we tell them that the other space is our spot. Since then, every single guest has parked exactly where we asked them to.

What’s going on with your situation? Do you have signs or anything to help your guests to know where to drive and park?

1 Like

No signs. Just long gravel driveways. They insist on pulling off them to drive and park wherever they feel like.

Yes, that was what I was getting at. That your post about guests not speaking good English wasn’t good English. But then I thought maybe you were doing it on purpose to make a joke. LOL.

Unfortunately I am not that clever. I am surprised that I can put two words together presently. Going through a bit of a rough patch. It is all I can do to keep my sassy response reflex in check with the guests. I try to steer clear of them so I don’t get myself in trouble. I find that a lot of the time I want to look at them with an incredulous look and say “Seriously?”

5 Likes

Sorry to hear that.

Just today I was thinking that my tolerance of people is running thin. It was one of those weeks where NO ONE was when I expected them. Every Airbnb guest, dog boarding client, friend, contractor, my hairdresser…they are were either early, late, cancelled or completely changed the time we were scheduled for. I’m talking about 15 out of 17 for the last week. And today I thought, I have got to retire.

But instead I came in the cool house and counted a big pile of money. LOL.

4 Likes

Yes parking issues. We finally had to take a picture of the parking space, add it to our listing for the guests to understand where to park. We also put the picture on the front of the trailer info book so if they don’t park correctly they can go outside and fix that.

1 Like

Text them instead? May save some headaches.

Even worse, in my opinion, is I had guests last week & last night who spoke English very well. But when I mentioned no smoking & another rule they had agreed to before booking & broke my 2 most important rules, they pretended they didn’t understand…

How did you handle it?

Maybe instead of fines you try spike strips!

RR

1 Like

Except then the ruts would be even deeper as they drag their blown tires back out of my lawn…

And this guy said he never parked on my lawn…this was only one of the 3 times that he did, and I have major proof!

Until you need proof of your conversation on the Airbnb platform…

3 Likes

I tried explaining it a different way but they continued to pretend they didn’t understand me. I knew then it was pointless to pursue the issue & instead I will be very explicit in the review which I will post at the last minute.

1 Like

I would solve it with 75-lb boulders placed about every 6 feet along the driveway.

And the next incoming sees the chopped up lawn, since it looks used will also park there just to continue the cycle

Ugh. That would be expensive and a pain…to get there and to have to mow around.

Funny thing is that no one ever drives and or parks on the lawns in the same place.