My STR is ready to be furnished, what’s the most important thing?

Why would people not stay due to leather furniture? I’m trying to figure out if those are my core demographic.

Is this a vegan thing? Or a sweaty folks stick to the furniture thing?

So your first post on this forum is some cryptic warning which you don’t bother to explain?

Based on my most strident vegan friend I’d say that’s the issue. But it’s not an issue worth considering unless someone is trying to appeal specifically to vegans.

Every time I see a post about “_____ wouldn’t stay there,” my first thought is “so what?” No airbnb is going to appeal to everyone and if they try, they’re going to be very generic and sterile. I won’t stay in an Airbnb with mounted trophy animals on the wall, US flags in the pictures, or overt Christian images like crosses on the walls. Not one host has gone out of business because of it.

4 Likes

Hi, I am new to this forum.

I agree with Ikea for glassware. I am amazed how durable it is and I have gotten comments about the “quality” of my wine glasses.

for dishes, I have Fiesta in mixed colors. So far, the investment has paid off. I needed to replace on bowl and one mug over five years.

Concerning bedding and towels, my cleaner loves that all my linens are the same. She says it makes her job easier.

My Sunbrella furniture fabric is wearing like iron.

1 Like

A thumbs up to simple appliances. My first coffee maker was nothing special and I selected it because of the insulated stainless steel carafe. I was shocked by the number of people that couldn’t figure out how to screw on the lid. The lid was necessary to get the machine to brew.

That IS the issue. We used to have a couple of throw pillows, on the sofa, that were natural unbleached linen on the back with big wooden buttons to close the pillow cover, and beige stitched suede leather on the front. Once in a while we’d come to do the turnover and find those two pillows flipped so that the leather was toward the back and no other changes to the pillow layout.

It may have been those guests just didn’t like the feel of the suede, or it could have been vegans, feeling disgusted to touch what was once a living being. We brought those pillows home and replaced them with some 100% synthetic fluffy things that don’t seem to offend.

We continually improve our listing incrementally.

1 Like

I would say religious artifacts are, to me, the one reason I would storm out of an airbnb indignantly demanding money back. Animal skins? I prefer that to plastic Naugahyde etc as it is less environmentally damaging and anyway, the sofa is there so this is the best use. But hosts who feel that their need to push their ‘faith’ scare me more than anything. Hypocrisy and lack of feeling for guests is advertised when a cross or a picture of a 1950s white guy with a ‘heavenly’ glow around him is forced on me.

2 Likes

The guests also may have been afraid to damage or stain the suede. It’s all just idle guessing unless you actually ask the guests.

Well, those of you who say they wouldn’t book anywhere that had religious symbolism displayed might be hard pressed finding a home-share listing in some countries. Almost every traditional Mexican household has picture on the wall somewhere of the Virgin of Guadalupe.

Having those sorts of images can be cultural, rather than trying to announce to the world what your religious affiliation is, or having any intention to bash people over the head with it, or an indication of intolerance for other’s beliefs, as it often is in the US.

2 Likes

This reminds me. We have a stone fat laughing Buddha that sits on a shelf. We’re atheists, but try to practice zazen, and he helps to remind us that life is meaningless and we’re all going to die. It helps us to laugh when we’re complaining about meaningless things.

Only once, we came to do the turnover, and that statue had been rotated to face the books instead of the room.

2 Likes

I have a Canadian friend who has a number of different types of crosses displayed on her walls. She isn’t the slightest bit religious- she’s an international tour guide and they were gifts from various people she works with around the world. Some are quite beautiful works of art by skilled craftsmen.

They are just part of her collection of arts and crafts from around the world, many of which are also on display. As is her Buddha statue, some Hindu statues, etc.

Context is important in making these judgements.

On the other hand, I property-managed for a couple who had crosses on the wall and a bookcase full of Christian literature and Christian music CDs, because they were born-agains. (They were actually very nice people, generous and non-judgemental, socially and politically liberal, were horrified by Trumpism, and beyond the occasional “God bless you”, never tried to talk to me about their religion)

I actually packed away their crosses and literature when they left after their holidays, and the place got rented out.

1 Like

lol, compared to a natural fibre there are plenty of us are offended that vegans think “plastic” everything is the solution. but they are practical in an str situation.

Whilst i’m not religious myself i’m not offended by such things, I’m tolerant of other people’s choices and beliefs. I wouldn’t be offended by a pride flag either, or a shrine to some sports team, although I find all these things to be unnecessary in a str.