My STR is ready to be furnished, what’s the most important thing?

SO, in the last hour I had a guest who booked yesterday and tells me now that they are very sensitive to fragrances and hope we don’t use any, not have plug-in, use fabric sheets etc.

Actually our listing says that we use Persil ProClean Free & Sensitive Laundry Detergent. We use woolen balls in the dryer to reduce static electricity. Our listing also says that we use Lysol fabric disinfectant that regrettably does have a lavender scent on the living room furniture and asks if that is an issue. [Lysol does not make a fabric disinfectant without a scent.]

I was not put off by this post-booking guest disclosure. I offered to not use that Lysol spray immediately prior to their stay but I raised the issue of prior use and possible lingering scents. I offered to use an ozone generator in the living room area (it is a bit of a project because we need to remove all the houseplants, of which there are many in that area). We would do this at no charge. I am waiting for their response if they’d like us to do that, which they will probably say ‘yes’ to because there is no charge and no potential detriment.

Yes, I think it would have been better for the guest to mention this earlier but I don’t see it as a big deal. Not to say that my reaction is the ‘right’ or ‘best’ one, just that I have the time and energy for this.

We bought the ozone generator with the idea that we’d periodically use this in the bedrooms (where we have no plants), but I view this as ‘upping’ our hospitality game and sanitizing procedures.

In my own STR I state that we use scent free products for cleaning and bedding and linens but that I can not guarantee a completely scent free place to stay. Even with my allergies, I can not guarantee my place will meet everyone’s needs.

I too use free and clear laundry detergent (there are less expensive ones on the market now - even store brands) . Free and Clear fabric softener and wool balls.

I personally would never ask a host to go as far as you have offered but thanks for understanding and going the extra mile.

FYI - There are scent-free disinfectant (From the smell, it seems like vinegar and water). I spray it on the coach. Lysol also makes a scent free sanitizer for the laundry. (I use this for the cool water washes when I can not use bleach). I do offer my guests the option not to use bleach if they let me know at least 2 days before they check in.

I also run a HEPA machine for up 24 hours before the guests arrive to help clean the air.

I’ve used Ozone machines before and they do scare me a bit. I once got a great deal on a car but the person was a smoker. Unbelievable about how well it worked.

Could you tell me please what scent-free disinfectant you can use on fabrics because I could not find any?

Yess, we use the Lysol scent-free sanitizer in a pre-wash/soak. The Lysol site says that used that way it is a disinfectant; if used in the rinse it sanitizes. My understanding is that it is better to disinfect. Do I have that right?

By the way, is there a reason why a guest might object to bleach??

On the ozone machine, this is the one I bought:

It’s not expensive: $72. Our plan is to use these in the bedrooms. I’m not sure that this is the best one to buy because eventually the ceramic plate that creates the ozone wears out, and I don’t see how to buy the replacement for the O-777 unit. Also, an ozone generator can kill bacteria, fungus, mold, even insects but the manual for this generator just talks about it eliminating odors. So it might not be strong enough for those other potential benefits of an ozone generator.

The smell. 2020202020

Regarding Ozone machine - I live in a very old house and I would have to remove my pets and about 40 plants so unfortunately that is not an option.

Regarding sanitize vs disinfect - I don’t know. I suppose one could google the answer.

Regarding bleach - I’m not sure but I occasionally get the request not to use. It’s probably due to Chemical Sensitivity Allergies.

Disinfectant - I have a guest right now so I can’t go upstairs to check. Sorry but it’s not really a fabric disinfectant but more for surfaces. Honestly I think it’s vinegar and water. I got it at Ocean job lot so it might be an odd brand that’s discontinued. I did find this however: https://www.amazon.com/One-Step-Disinfectant-Fragrance-Free-Friendly-Products/dp/B08KWXM6MH/ref=sr_1_7?crid=12QCNAK9H1ENR&keywords=fragrance+free+fabric+disinfectant+spray&qid=1660842528&sprefix=fragrance+free+fabric+disinfectant+spray%2Caps%2C81&sr=8-7

I’m starting to ease up on my over-cleaning due to Covid.

1 Like

Vodka.

It’s not a joke, just sounds like one. You can just put it in a spray bottle and spritz it on. There will be no scent after it dries. It’s what we use on theater costumes, most of which cannot be laundered but still get stinky and dirty.

5 Likes

Do you spray full strength?

Dilute 50-50 with distilled water?

It sounds like you’re suggesting full strength.

Full strength is perfect, no reason to dilute it, just buy the cheap stuff. I think sometimes people use isopropyl but it leaves a scent and can also stain or damage some fabrics. But vodka doesn’t have those issues so don’t substitute with isopropyl.

3 Likes

I continue to be amazed at the wide and deep fount of knowledge you’ve accumulated/curated as well as your incisive logic. Thank you for being such an active member of this forum.

I bet it was liberated by a previous guest and the turnover crew didn’t notice it missing. I imagine it was probably a rather nice one, owing to the fact that it was in a wine country STR.

1 Like

Bastards won’t sell it to me in California.

Exactly. I spoke with the owner who said hers kept disappearing. I suggested attaching one to the wall or putting it in the
the advert thstcezchbparty should bring their own!

Or order a bunch of customized ones for less than $5 a pop with the name of your airbnb on them. If they take one stick another out there for the next guest.

2 Likes

Using bleach in water for mopping the floor makes the floor very slippery when it gets wet again (personal experience in tile floors)

1 Like

bingo! which is why we don’t put “nice” bottle openers in our listings. I had a nice cheese knife set i’d bought from the local cheesery and one went walkies. sigh

i’ve mentioned this before I’m sure. when i was researching ozone machines i learned that pot growers use them to kill gnats and other bugs, but it doesn’t kill the plant. (curious if that means it kills any “good” bacteria too). I don’t remove any plants and so far they’ve been ok, but i rarely run the machine for more than 20mins. I also have to round up the cats (only 2! :sweat_smile:) and dogs and make sure they are safely locked outside or in another room.

2 Likes

We have a small private entrance STR. I like your comments! Don’t want more than wine glasses and acrylic glasses for drinking (besides hot drinks and recyclable plastic for bathrooms) because I’m not trying to encourage drinking… but my typical guest is 2-3 nights, maybe 4.

I found this most helpful!! Everything I’ve ordered from this (mostly just sheets, duvets, and duvet covers, was fabulous
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1_bZ8BLATEU0QGY6bbx-7QhsTJT9MEcCv_PuzFvcH3ys/edit?pli=1#gid=0

2 Likes

For many, leather furniture is a big NO.

Many people will not stay at a place with leather sofas.

Hmmmm… I did not notice ‘leather sofa’ listed in amenities. I wonder how you filter for this kind of choice?

Reminder, reuse is the best way to help our planet. A sofa that already is in the home is better than a new purchase - and many say that leather is the most resilient covering.

1 Like