My guests no longer stain my towels and linens..this is what worked for me

I have dark towels. Can’t see stains even if there were any. Lol. I wash them on 90 Celsius anyway. So I would never dream of having white towels.

I had the stained linens replacement statement, then got a negative review with the guest stating she was so afraid she’d ruin my sheets tgat she could’t sleep!! We provide makep remover pads. Helps, but not perfect.

You’re right about the hair dye … I colour my hair and that’s why I travel with one of those small microfibre towels, which are much better for drying hair anyway … wish we could persuade guests to do that!

I have white towels and facecloths and while I provide 2 makeup removers , cotton pads and kleenex, they still use my towels. I have been able to get almost all of the stains out because I have a basket of stain removers and hit it w everything and scrub w toothbrush.Sometimes if a facecloth looks really gross I will throw it out,I only pay a dollar for it and I dont want to waste my time or expensive stain removers to remove a huge stain. But I will work to save a towel as they are usually designer towels, thick and fluffy like Calvin Klein etc…

Hi Nell,

What kind of stained linens replacement statement did you have?

When I used to just use the word “stained” people started to do the laundry to hide them. I changed to using the word “unsalvageable” instead because I only meant stains that would not come out, but still wanted guests to know they needed to be careful to at least try not to stain.

Are you saying you used the exact paragraph above that I said anyone can borrow??? - If so, I am very sorry to hear that and that guest is an idiot. If you have it in your rules, and confirm before booking that guest has read them…then she should have moved on to another property if this was just too much for her to handle. I always tell guests to confirm they have read the house rules, and say once I accept then I am unalbe to cancel. I want them to move on, if respecting someome else’s property is too much to ask.

Care to share what that part of her review said?? If she is clean before going to bed, and not drinking koolaid during the middle of the night…the only think I can think of is she was on her period and worried about bleeding on the sheets. And if that’s the case…then the respectful thing for her to do would be to put a piece of her own clothing or something underneath that area.

Just found this thread – I needed this! I buy JC Penney’s quick dry towels and washcloths – kind of pricey but super soft and clean well with bleach – EXCEPT for eye make-up. BTW, they are the best glass cleaning cloths EVER! I use the unsalvageable ones to clean the shower class door and partition plus the mirrors – never any lint or streaks. But, I am now going to supply the “make-up” washcloths. I love this site! So helpful. Thank you!

Also, I buy Target’s high performance sheets. Does anyone have suggestions for sheets? I like the ones I have, especially since they are labeled with tags that say “top/bottom” and “side”. Saves me a lot of time when changing sheets.

2 Likes

This is what I wrote to put on a laminated sheet – to be a little more humorous:

Please help save our linens from an early demise!

Make-up/foundation, face medications/ creams, and tanning products will stain the sheets and towels. I am providing these grey washcloths for make-up removal and for the other products listed, above.

My linens and I thank you for being considerate.

10 Likes

Here is a picture of the basket of Bleachsafe cloths. It’s missing my little lamenated card though:

8 Likes

White towels seem to conote cleanliness. Thats why I use them.

This is great!!! Thanks for sharing

1 Like

Dumb question about the Bleachsafe washcloths. Do you have to still wash those in a separate load? Just wondering if I’ll have to do a separate load or can I just wash these with the rest of my white towels??

@cabinhost thanks so much for sharing this tip! So these towels never stain anymore and you don’t need to clean them in any kind of special solution or Oxyclean etc? The makeup staining on the towels are definitely one of the most aggravating things about cleaning so if this is the solution I’ll be thrilled!

1 Like

Brilliant! Thank you for sharing! Is it possible to borrow your check out list as well? :slight_smile:

Where do you put your notes and rules? Somewhere on the wall where they have to read it?
I need to make some for myself too.

I use the brown colored ones and wash with my colored towels. Not sure if you would need to bleach the white ones. But it should tell you on the website that you choose to order from.

Since mine are brown, I can’t really tell if there is makeup on there or not. It’s very possible my guests now bring their own makeup removal stuff if they are afraid of being charged for damaged towels/linens. But they really do like using them for wash cloths to take in the shower.

I know this may sound silly but I really don’t know if the guests are using the cloths to remove makeup. I can’t tell because they are brown. But I just throw them in with the colored towels and no special oxyclean or anything. I will see if I can find some washing instructions.

Sure - here you go. The format is a little off when I copy and paste.

Departure Checklist

Checkout time is 11 a.m. Please ensure everyone is out on time. Housekeeping must begin on schedule in order to prepare for the next guests. All vehicles need to be off of the property so that other cars can pull in near the waterfall. Guests are not to remain on the property taking group photos after check out time.

1. Return all items or indoor/outdoor furniture to their original location. Dragging chairs/tables on hardwood floors or deck will leave scratches on wood; please lift when moving.

2. Place used kitchen/bath towels in the backpack hampers located in each bedroom closet. Set hampers on floor. Please use a plastic grocery bag (located under kitchen sink) for any muddy/clean up rags.

3. Please do not strip bed linens; leave this for housekeeping.

4. Housekeeping will remove the kitchen trash compactor bag as they will use it while cleaning.

5. You may leave leftover condiments/goods if you think the next guest may find it useful.

6. Double check drawers for any personal items.

7. Start dishwasher; detergent pods are located under sink.

8. Double check stovetop, oven, and gas grill are off.

9. Close all windows. Turn off heat in winter and set to 75 degrees in summer. Turn off all indoor/outdoor lights.

Leave all sets of keys on dining table. Leave doors unlocked.

Call or text XXXX (555) 555-5555 as you are leaving.

Thank you and have a safe trip home!

4 Likes

Not sure what type of listing you have Lesya. Mine is two bedroom house and the “house notes” are a 2 page document that goes over everything guests need to know:

Wifi password and what to do if internet slows, care of the grill, fireplace care, expectations of child supervision, reporting damage immediately, and many other things. This is completely different than my “house rules” on Air. A lot of it really overlaps, but on Air I only list the important things.

I always send guest a copy of the house notes and departure checklist before arrival. If they book me through VRBO, etc. or directly then I send them this info along with a contract to have signed and returned. Once I receive the contract, then I will issue an invoice for payment.

My “house notes” are lamenated and are in a brochure holder on the wall. I tell guests there is no need to print the info and let them know where they can find it upon arrival.

1 Like

In my “house notes” doc I have a section specifically for towels/linens:

Towels and Linens: Please be respectful of bed sheets and towels. Makeup/foundation, face medications/creams, and tanning products will stain and/or bleach linens/towels. Rolled brown towels (stain resistant) are in a basket provided in each bathroom for removal of these products. Please avoid using regular hand/bath towels with all skin products. Guests are not to wash laundry belonging to the cabin in order to hide stains. Housekeeping will wash all laundry. Unsalvageable linens/bath towels will be charged to the guest.

1 Like

oh my. Im mortified by this thread! we have just bought an older vacation property (condo) my husband thinks itll be great to rent it out on airbnb to help defer costs. ive decorated the condo the way i like, have put in kitchen supplies and bathroom stuff that i like. i cannot imagine renting this place out to have people wreck any of it.

it actually creeps me out that people are so disrespectful. we have rented out from vrbo over the years and always treat the properties with the utmost respect.

are there really that many horrible stories? yuck.

Sue