My first bad review - I am heartbroken

Right. Don’t even dignify their petty complaints. Put the focus back on the hard work you do to make your space shine.

Also, by rising above this way, you’ve taken away their ‘power’ by Implicitly signaling that the reason they had a bad stay had nothing to do with you or their space.

I had an Indian couple stay with us for New Years who rented a car during their stay and ended up getting into an accident on the freeway. They were fine, but it ruined their trip, and they were pretty bummed the rest of the time. I didn’t bother leaving the a review hoping they wouldn’t because I knew they were in a terrible mood and feared they would take it out in a negative review. They didn’t leave one. I was relieved and happily accepted the extra cash since I raise my prices substantially for New Years. If they had, I would have done as I advised you and just ignored any complaints and used the response to reiterate that my space is awesome.

2 Likes

What were they expecting? Some luxury resort at a budget-motel price?

I also have no negatives, I got 100% recommendations from all guests, however I can never say it is not bound to happen down the road. Of course I avoid negative reviews at all costs, but I have no immunity to that “very critical and hard to please” guest who may come sooner or later.

If I were to stay at an AirBnB, one negative review would not turn me away, seeing all the history of positive reviews. I would figure its one of those very critical guests, hopefully will not be a too often kind of thing.

1 Like

So, how many stars did they give you?

omg that were harsh.
Cleanliness feedback:
“The bathroom, mostly the bath, was not that clean.”

• (THIS IS IRONIC AS I ALWAYS GET A 5 all the time. THEY WERE PICKING AT NOTHING-VERY SAD PEOPLE).
    Communication feedback:
    “Miko was totally missing! We barely see them!”
    Location feedback:
    “Good security, close to city center, but noisy. We could hear everything outside, in the apartment and the building.”
  • (GUESTS ALWAYS COMMENT ON HOW QUIET IT IS FOR CITY CENTRE LIVING).
    Value feedback:
    “It was very expensive for what we get!”
  • (I GIVE GUESTS IRISH CHOCOLATE< TEA< IRISH WHISKY COFFEE, LOTS OF TOILETRIES- SHAMPOO, CONDITIONER, FACEWIPES, PERFUME/AFTERSHAVES, SHOWER GEL, BATH OIL, TOWELS, FLANNELS, TOOTH PASTE. ASWELL AS BREAKFAST OF A HUGE BOWL OF FRESH FRUIT, IRISH BREADS, CEREAL, YOGERT, DRINKS…

THEY ARE THE MOST VINDICTIVE PEOPLE I HAVE COME ACROSS.

probably, if they expected us to put their dirty dishes in dishwasher. Nasty people

Oh sunshine,

My heart goes out to you… .And having had a nasty review in my past, with similar pettiness, I know it’s tempting to write that long defensive response… but I urge you… PLEASE DON’T! As Monica above mentioned, Air publishes both the bad review AND your response, fully expanded. To my horror, I saw that was the case when I left a long winded response to a little weasel who went to great lengths to compile a laundry list of everything he hated… and this was a guy I got a special helicopter deal for, through my contacts as a travel guidebook writer!!! At that time, Air would let you change it within 48 hours and I wrote to him pleading… he agreed to edit it and said he didn’t mean for it to sound so harsh… but because I had responded, it was locked and no change/edit was possible! I shouldn’t have said so much!!! My response took up almost half of the review page!!! Acck!

But unfortunately, this guests of yours left such a smackdown that all you can do is reply in the very unemotional way that Jack suggested. For other ideas, have a look at the way hotels respond to smacks on Travel Advisor or Yelp. They always state the response simply and unemotionally. “We are sorry you were displeased with your stay and that it wasn’t a fit. Your feedback will help us improve. We wish you well in the future.” Potential guests are looking to see how you respond to a problem. So keep it simple! One or two sentences max… Otherwise, if you say anything else, you will be seen as overly emotional and defensive!! Potential guests reading their review will get that they are kooks. That’s transparent enough!

sunshine, we long time hosts have been there, and feel your pain. It’s partly why I don’t go out of my way to do extras (I GIVE GUESTS IRISH CHOCOLATE< TEA< IRISH WHISKY COFFEE, LOTS OF TOILETRIES- SHAMPOO, CONDITIONER, FACEWIPES, PERFUME/AFTERSHAVES, SHOWER GEL, BATH OIL, TOWELS, FLANNELS, TOOTH PASTE. ASWELL AS BREAKFAST OF A HUGE BOWL OF FRESH FRUIT, IRISH BREADS, CEREAL, YOGERT, DRINKS…) and also why I don’t do favors like late check out or let guests push me around. Some guests, as you discovered, will grab up these goodies, even ask for more but still complain.

They are idiots and a review like this is so bad, that you could try calling Air. Be sure to be able to quote the reasons why it violates their review policy. They may just erase it altogether. I hope so.

As a pointless but comforting exercise, try googling reviews of the Waldorf Astoria or the 4 Seasons. You will definitely find clowns who aren’t happy with the best hotels in the world! Insecure people love to throw their weight around if they are powerless in the world otherwise.

At the end of the day, the guests who “get” us are the ones we want. Your five star reviews and the other good reviews will save you. People will still book your awesome place, take heart!!!

2 Likes

In your part of the world do you have the joke “It’s not you, it’s me” used when trying to gently break up a relationship? Well, for sure, “It’s not you, it’s them”

1 Like

haha yes we do Dc!

I am gonna sleep on it and ring air in the morning.

Can i ask, when you have just started air has anyone ever had an airbnb staff member stay with them, checking them out? This has happened to me in both apts.

1 Like

Let me clarify. I mean , when you start airbnb, have you ever had a airbnb staff member book in?

Never! That would make me crazy nervous!

hahha, I had 2 who said they worked for air! Im in my 2nd apt

I have fellow hosts in at the moment and that is enough to make me nervous!

2 Likes

NO. Don’t publish that!

what would you say?

x

Nothing, Leave it. Move on. Be happy and cheerful for your next guests so they leave a great review :slight_smile:

1 Like

That’s another strategy. Ignore it… hopefully soon it will scroll off the page. The main thing is, don’t let them engage you in drama. They are bullies and the best response is little or none.

2 Likes

They almost prompt you to say something bad! Hate it!!!

Why can’t they also give a warning to be discrete with feedback. Make sure some of the feedback is in the Private area.

Sunshine, I think you should ring Air to complain about this review and let us know what they say. One of the members here actually got a review removed because it was so off the wall, as yours sounds like.

1 Like

“We take reviews and feedback seriously, so that we can continue to improve as excellent hosts. On this particular evening - the evening of my sister’s wedding, - I failed to meet some expectations. I hope potential future guests will take time to read all of our many great past reviews also. We will continue to strive to be great hosts and encourage better communication.”

5 Likes

maybe “fell short” rather than failed.
But I still think the less said the better.

3 Likes