My bad guest experience - Just me griping

Blockquote
In academic writing you still should not do it. Or if you do, sparingly.

Blockquote

I realize this post is older. Not to ruffle feathers but…

Not entirely true…Coordinating conjunctions can be found in the work of writers such as Susan Sontag, Vladimir Nabokov, Kingsley Amis, P.G. Wodehouse, and Albert Einstein) and highly respected grammar and usage guides (such as Fowler and Garner) all agree that it’s a perfectly acceptable.

It’s a case of the class being punished for the “unskilled” few. The overuse prompted a ban in the 19th century rather than teaching children how to use them effectively.

This is not academic writing. PG Wodehouse and Susan Sontag are not writing academic dissertations. I’m speaking of university dissertations and term papers and the like. Writing graded by academics.

And I am not familiar with the writings of Einstein. But he was known for physics, not grammar. So no matter how many conjunctions he uses and how, he gets a pass from me.

Grammar and usage guide experts might agree it is okay, but your professor might require you to use strict academic style. The golden rule is to follow the style required by the audience you are writing for.

When you are a novelist, poet or writing creatively, you can break the rules all you want as long as you have learned the rules first.

I don’t think you read the whole thread where I defended the use of conjunctions to open sentences. Just don’t overdo it for your professors. Or overdo it in general.

I agree with you. My only issue (with most anything that is forbidden) is that the rules or laws were made because of idiots and their flagrant misuse of said item, term, thing, or being. :slight_smile: