This forum is dedicated to connecting hosts with other hosts. Sign up to get the latest updates and news just for AirBnb hosts! Note that we are not affiliated with Airbnb - we are just passionate hosts!
We have a long-term guest. She’ll be here until mid-March (not through Airbnb).
We don’t generally allow guests cooking privileges. But for this guest, we do.
It never occurred to me that she’d basically live on cooked mushrooms. I’m allergic to them. Even though I don’t eat the ones she cooks, the smell lingers in the kitchen for hours. We turn on the exhaust fan, another fan, open the skylight, etc. The guest washes the pan and her dishes. We take out the trash. Still lingers. And the smell makes me sick to my stomach.
She’s a vegetarian and is devoted to losing weight. Her secret is mushrooms.
I don’t know what to say to her. We don’t want to lose her as a tenant.
This is crazy and a shame, I know how happy you were about this slow season booking. Crazy in that we never know what things we haven’t anticipated until they happen. I never even realized they have a strong smell. I honestly don’t see a compromise, it’s a lose-lose situation. I’m interested to see what people with more imagination than I have might suggest.
I think the only thing to do is be honest with her, tell her you have an allergy to mushrooms and ask her how she can work with you on this. There are many, many other food items that she can use to lose weight apart from mushrooms. @RebeccaF
Mushrooms are what she mainly eats for dinners. It’s her main source of protein. She eats fish only once a week and no dairy or eggs or meat at all. This is the diet that her trainer designed for her. And she doesn’t eat out.
I have an allergy to cinnamon, (airborne and in foods). I have it in my rules that no one is permitted to cook with Cinnamon, use scented products or air fresheners. I know it’s too late for this guest but put it in your rules for the future.
As for what to do know, can you get an air purifier?
I’ve had some success with the charcoal sacks to remove smells.
Another option is an ozone machine but no one can be in the house (including pets) when it runs and for about an hour after. It’s deadly.