More of Folks Not Reading (or Denying) Listing Details

Hard to turn down 650 mid-week bucks. Mom, Dad and “child”. I haven’t responded yet. They have 9 reviews, all very good but short. Their message to me was only “Thank you.” I don’t host children and my place is full of low-hanging original art and breakables. The money would come in handy. Do I send them a ridiculously high special offer and leave the rest to fate? Do I avoid any potential drama by declining? I’m not comfortable with people just saying “Thank you” in lieu of telling me something about themselves…yet there are the 9 good reviews…

How good? Effusive? Or the meaningless “Great guest!”?

BTW, I’d accept after explaining why your place says “not suitable for children.” Of course you would never discriminate against families with children, you are only concerned for the safety of the child.

After 9000 posts about children in listings, I weary. I will eventually scroll by them. But not today.

@KKC The advice to add about not discriminating against children is good. Thanks for that. Here are some reviews. Then again, there’s all the art, the glass coffee table, the vintage hand mirror in the bathroom.

Nice group, Samuel was very respectful of the property and communicative

Lorena

Mar, 2019

Samuel was a great guest! Welcome again!

Mar, 2019

una familia encantadora, energetica y simpatica, los espero de nuevo cuando quieran

Joan

Joan

Aug, 2018

My guest was respectful and left my home neat and tidy. Her visit was short but allowed her to find…+ More

Aug, 2018

Sam & his wife were great guests. Very proactive, polite, and clean!!

Well, I’d book them but then again, I have instant book so they could just book. Then I’d follow up with questions and information and if they wanted to keep the reservation I’d hope for the best.

1 Like

Even if you warn them about valuable paintings etc and then the child damages them think about whose fault that is going to be if you ask for compensation.

1 Like

I wouldn’t even trust adults with ‘low hanging original art’ I have had my walls plastered with alcohol spilled as they stagger along, pictures knocked off the walls, scuff marks all over the walls and walls damaged with items falling onto them. And that’s with only couples staying in the suite. Mostly a lack of care and consideration, sometimes too much alcohol but also straightforward ‘accidents’ - which can happen.

2 Likes

If you need the money, perhaps you might consider removing all art work and then hosting them. Once they leave you can put it all back.

3 Likes

When we went around on this last time I learned that if you mark your place “not suitable for children” Airbnb’s insurance won’t cover you on a stay w/ kids in that age group.

I send this:

I just wanted to make sure you were aware my listing is marked as “may not be suitable for children” in the house rules. You’re welcome to stay at your discretion, but I’d like to point out the reasons I marked it as such so you’re not unpleasantly surprised.

• The suite is not child-proofed (no cabinet latches or outlet covers, glass topped tables, etc)
  • There’s a flight of stairs with no door or child barrier at the top.
  • In the lounge there is a laundry chute that drops a story (the door to which is about a foot off the ground) and low windows that are easy to open.
  • My friends or I may be consuming alcohol, tobacco, or cannabis on the property.
  • Since I’ve marked my place not suitable for children, Airbnb insurance may not cover your stay.

If you’d like to proceed, please reply acknowledging that you’re aware of and accept the potential hazards.

It’s surprising to me that parents booked in spite of my warning twice so far this season.

2 Likes

Maybe the statement should just be "My place is marked not suitable for children and therefore Airbnb’s insurance doesn’t cover your stay. " If they’ve booked then ask them to cancel and contact Airbnb for help in finding a place that is suitable. If they are requesting to book just reply but don’t accept.

3 Likes

Between keeping insurance happy and litigious types at bay, I don’t know how to address this any more. :joy: I’m afraid to outright enforce my house rules on kids because it’s so sticky.

I decline or cancel groups with ages under 5. My own moral compass won’t let me host kids that young when there are things that could really hurt them.

The two groups that booked had kids age 9+, so they can’t fit down the laundry chute. It’s not a safety issue at this point, but compatibility of lifestyles. If a parent wants to expose their kid to our vices over staying at one of the many places that cater to families, that’s their prerogative.

1 Like

All my friends with kids do expose their kids to their vices so no surprise there. LOL.

4 Likes

I think if you explain the art etc… and they still want to book- tell them youll be removing the valuable/ breakable items for safety purposes. Its hard to say no to that type of $

1 Like

Thanks, everyone, for these great ideas. Love them. The guest messaged me this morning since I haven’t answered yet. Their entire message? “Good morning”. Money or no money, I’m giving them the rush. Strange sense of sociability.

A couple with one child and good reviews, if you don’t accept children then just say “no”.

I mean you no offense but I don’t understand why you would fill a rental suite with your valuable personal treasures & then be fretting over it, adults break items as well as children. When I stay in a rental quite frankly I don’t want to have to tippy toe around the hosts breakables or fine art, I prefer a bullet proof stay, mitigates the drama.

2 Likes

I don’t recall saying that I was fretting. To me, it feels like a logistic.

My house and this decor is my dream and I’m invested emotionally in my house/business–it’s not just a money maker…it’s where I’d like to stay. The other reason is that our island is known as an epicentre for painters. My suite characterizes this and it’s what draws folks to book with me.

People do Airbnb because its a home and not a generic hotel room. They want to see the hosts personality especially in their art. The host didn’t say fine art or valuable art either. But he probably knows that children are attracted to new things that they don’t have in their own home and that his things are going to be a bit different from a house where people have kids. Its probably just not the best place for a family to be booking and thats why its marked as unsuitable for children in the house rules.

1 Like

I don’t believe low hanging original art is the issue here. Antiques, big screen tv’s, plate glass doors, vases, stereo equipment etc is open season for a toddler.

Bye-bye $700. I finally squeezed a one-liner out of the Samuel guest. “He is 12 and is me and my wife.”

I don’t think I would have any issue bending the rules to accept a 12-year-old only child traveling with his parents, but Samuel is too enigmatic and taciturn for me to be comfortable having him in my home.

3 Likes

I had to look those words up to see what they mean but I understand why you wouldn’t be comfortable having them in your home if thats the case!

2 Likes

Some parents would probably drop their kids for a session.

1 Like