More guests than booked showed up! Help!

I am just wondering how much are you charging for that one room? And how they were hoping to put 8 people on 6 sleeping spaces

huh? this post must be 20 characters

Waitā€¦ Is SHE who I think SHE is???

2 Likes

I have been renting 2 large properties for over 6 years. I leave on site at one in a separate unit, and the other is a free standing house.
I have learned that 80% of my guest groups do not input the correct # of guests in the first inquiry.
Really = 80%!!!
As soon as my agreement goes out to them, with clauses, rules and regulations, and fines ( whether it is on air or another site ) thenā€¦I get back an email stating how many will truly be present. At that point I amend, and either charge more, or explain the group is too big. But at least I get a 99% honesty after the booking occurs, and when they sign an agreement. And long before arrival. It has been years now since I have had any issues, but it is a learning curve.
My first year, a group submitted for 8 and showed at the door with air mattresses and 16 guests. I allowed them to stay after a discussion, but was uncomfortable. They left the worst review I have ever gotten.

3 Likes

You must have missed all the ā€œfun.ā€ :smile:

1 Like

@Kenny_Smith
Yup! New id same craziness!

1 Like

Going to the supermarket now to stock up on junk food, nothing better than reading her posts and eating crap.

3 Likes

The listing reads one private room bc it canā€™t be entire house based on the fact we do live there. There are actually 3 separate bedrooms each with a queen bed with 2 private baths plus the all the common areas. Our master bed/bath is separate from those. Wish AirBnB had the option to list more than 1 bedroom

2 Likes

I can see how they thought of brining more people. Butā€¦ I think your listing is pretty confusing. How do you advertise those 3 bedrooms? Together or separate? What if you have only 2 guests? Or 4, but 2 different parties, or 2, 2, and 1, how would they share bathrooms? Will one couple have 1 private bath and the rest will share a bathroom?

ā€œExtra guests - No chargeā€ is possibly the worst and most confusing way to say ā€œExtra guests - Not allowed!ā€ No wonder guests are confused.

4 Likes

Yes I agree. I donā€™t charge anything for extra guests, itā€™s the same price to rent the house if itā€™s one person or 6 people.
I did have a request for 9 people but that included 3 toddlers and 2 infantsā€¦ no way!
Iā€™ve now added this to my rules and hope it will cover me if more than 6 rollup.

ā€œThe maximum occupancy of the house is 6 people (including children)ā€

4 Likes

The thing is not that i say something about extra charge, its an automatic thing that on app. If we dont mark it then it days there is no extra charge for extra people, but meaning what? No extra charge for people over what amount?It only pertains if we indicate different price for example for 4, 6 or 8 people. But if its one price for any amont of people up to 8, and 8 is maximum, then this ā€œno extra chargeā€ has no meaning.
In any case, guests should not bring more people than they book for, and this no extra charge they use like a permission to bring more people, which in fact has no connection with maximum allowed. I asked that guest, why did you then not booked for 12? He said, because it would no let me book the house. I said, soā€¦ didnā€™t it tell you something that may be you can not have 12 people in your party?
After that i put in big letters , maximum 8 people allowed including kids. Still, a week later someone booked for 10, and i cancel them, and again they said, but there is no charge for extra people.

2 Likes

@YanaAgapova
You are totally correct, this is a flaw in the Airbnb system. It should specify extra people over an amount or just no extra people if itā€™s a flat rate. It seems you would have to offer a rate for the room and then a charge for each person over that amount. It is confusing on airs part.

1 Like

I agree. It is HIGHLY confusing!

1 Like

Someone here put a rate of 400 or more per extra guest but that still doesnā€™t stop a guest from bringing extra people anyway. That said, none of us should put no extra charge. Air is only interested in a public offering as Iā€™ve said before so the owners can get rich on the stock and cash out. Sad this is a nice idea but itā€™s moving in another direction. Looking at an IPO

That was me! :smile:

3 Likes

Hi @konacoconutz,

In what currency?

US dollars, it was meant as a deterrent.

1 Like

Yes, I see. I imagine that would be an effective deterrent.

The listing is all 3 bedrooms together. However, Itā€™s noted that only 1 or 2 bedrooms can be booked if that is all thatā€™s needed. If only 1 or 2 bedrooms are booked we will not accept any other bookings for the same dates. We have had just 1 bedroom booked with 2 people so the other 2 bedrooms stay empty. We will never book 2 different parties. Does that make sense? Of course weā€™d like to listing to be a easy to understand as possible so anything anyone sees as confusing would be helpful to know!