More guests than booked showed up! Help!

That’s why you’re so nice. LOL.

Yes.

2 Likes

Its also ok to share other experiences even if its not directly related to particular post.

1 Like

I think so. WHy should they care if all was resolved. They are going to make even more comissions:)

Not that nice - we’re not giving them any! Though maybe if they had been upfront about the additional bodies! But no chance now. LOL

5 Likes

Normally, I would agree, but in the case of this one particular member and the post on this thread, I disagree. The OP was extremely sincere, but due to one particular post/member, this is a downgrading spiral.

2 Likes

She’s back! I agree to discourage her.

2 Likes

O, i see, i know exactly what you mean:)

3 Likes

I think we got lucky. Just waiting for our first bad experience with Guests…it’s bound to happen at some point

Yes, Airbnb will send you the additional payment. I have several times had guests bring additional guests. I change the price via the reservation modification. As long as the guest accepts the modification, you will receive payment. I did have one guest who didn’t accept the modification, so I didn’t receive the payment for her friend who stayed the night.

1 Like

Yes, but good part is it does not happen very often. Most of my more than 200 guests were great. But those few who were not i will remember for sure against my will:)

2 Likes

Having taught college students I know exactly what you mean😄

2 Likes

Glad it worked out but don’t assume they will not try to come up with something in a review. You can just never tell if a guest will be okay and move on, or if the guest will resent being confronted and then leave nit picky things in a review.

So don’t leave a glowing review and then kick yourself for not mentioning that they did not ask permission to bring extra guests over your maximum. I think they allowed the 8th guest when they realized that they weren’t called out on the 7th guest. So they tried to push their limits. And then fishing for free tickets…ugh!!

For some reason it seems to be so common for everyone to say others decided to join at the last minute. I get that line of bull all the time ’ “so and so may be coming but not sure yet.” And so and so always manages to be able to come!!

4 Likes

It’s so much easier to be able to come if you have a place to stay for free or cheap, like $20 a day. And please @Langcoeur do include this in a review.

2 Likes

Include the fact there was additional guests. In the review?

2 Likes

Yes. In your quest to be a nice as a Disney princess you seem to have forgotten that they violated the terms of service! They apparently didn’t read the listing! You could have completely cancelled their reservation. And while they might be very nice and pay and all that, many hosts would NOT want to deal with this. We all depend on honest reviews.

2 Likes

You seem to be giving this guest the benefit of the doubt that they did not realize the listing state private home. And they missed the whole “guest interaction” blurb. I don’t buy it.

If you search this forum for old threads, many guests intentionally show up with kids and never bothered to mention them. Or they show up with extra people. Then when some hosts do confront them, the guest tries to get the host to cancel so they don’t lose their money. Of course it is entirely your call to mention anything. And they could leave a lovely review. But there is a 50% chance your kindness will be repaid back with public complaints.

5 Likes

Great thoughts Guys!! I would be doing a disservice to other hosts by not mentioning it!! I certainly would have appreciated a heads up regarding behavior. She did say it was last minute but that still tells that she know inadvance of arriving her parents were joining and she clearly did not try to let me know before we called her out on it .

3 Likes

You train people how to treat you…if the guest is a first time Airbnb guest then it is YOUR responsibility to politely but firmly explain HOW Airbnb works…from the Guidebook, to House Rules to the number of guests allowed per listing. If we as Hosts fail to teach the client how the system works then we cheat other Hosts and the guest out of the preventing future difficulties. If ONE Host lets a guest abuse the system then that guest has incentive to try the same thing on the next Host they book with. I would like all my guests to read every detail and know exactly what I do and do not provide so their expectations are realistic. If we do not take the time to explain the entire system when we have a chance then we create more problems on both sides.

5 Likes

Amen Vegas! It’s so true that so many guests are deceitful BECAUSE they have been allowed to be deceitful in the past.

I had many debates on Homeaway forum and was called a petty and ungrateful owner for not allowing guests to take advantage. People would tell me it wasn’t worth upsetting the guest over a measly additional guest fee. Why ruin their vacation for being confrontational…huh???

1 Like

yup… she’s baaaaaaaaaack.

3 Likes