More guests than booked showed up! Help!

I will absolutely go through AirBnB for any payments

2 Likes

How does the modification work? Does AirBnB automatically charge the Guest for the additional fees the host makes the modification? OH wait the Guest will need to accept the modification first?

Yeah they should make a request for more money then the guest has to approve.

Thats how I think it works.

2 Likes

From my understanding, ABB’s liability protection and host guarantee are now null and void because reality does not match up to the reservation (more guests). So unless you are operating under a separate insurance plan, I believe you are 100% exposed :worried:. Can anyone else on the forum confirm this?

@SuiteRetreat I’m not understanding that?? BC the Guest misrepresented her booking as hosts we are not backed by AirBnB now?

@SuiteRetreat well my personal home insurance only covers 2 paying guests. If I had 3 it would be voided.

@Langcoeur I believe so. Most of the hosts on this forum wouldn’t have even let them inside the house. Make sure the reservation is exactly what is happening in reality and is documented on ABB if you are going to let them stay.

3 Likes

If you go to their reservation page, there will be an option to Alter or Modify the reservation. The wording seems to differ by market.

1 Like

Well crap. LOL Thanks. We were not there when they arrived. They were already in the house and in different rooms settling in before we even noticed the 7th person the first day. I think we’ve decided we prefer to first mention it in person (with a follow up AirBnB message to review) and give her the chance to modify it herself. But please keep the advice coming!

1 Like

Here is what you can do, submit the change, DO NOT wait for her to do it, she is in violation of the TOS. This is not the time to be nice, be professional and factual. Don’t wait or it will be too late, and btw kids count, they use resources just like adults.

6 Likes

YOUR time to be tactful or nice ended at tis moment that the guest tried to argue that a child of 3 years old could not be counted as a person . You have been given 3 clubs over the head. Pay attention! 1. Call Airbnb and have them walk you through your options 2. Send a modification with money due 3. Throw the moochers out and keep it all. 4. Force them to send the extra bodies home. 5. ALL communications through the dash only. YOU have options, and YOU must learn them and use them and establish and keep to your bounderies and parameters.

6 Likes

No… You have to do it via the resolution center. I don’t have much to add to the excellent advice given here except in the future you’ll be wiser. Don’t let the guests take over the house (I.e., my BF and I run and hide in our room at night) and take kitchen use OFF. Nothing to be gained but headaches!

4 Likes

Thats what i mean by request the resolution thing.

I would like to provide a gentle reminder to anyone responding to this thread that the original poster is who should be addressed, as they have asked for help for an immediate situation, are responding to the advice provided and deserve respect and continued support. There are is one particular poster who has an extensive controversial history who is responding to the original post by interjecting her own situation, which does not in any way fit with the overall theme and philosophy of the original poster. Let’s not muddy the waters. While it’s natural and often interesting for many threads on this message board to be rather fluid and take off in different directions, this particular post merits honoring the OP’s issue only.

3 Likes

@konacoconutz All sage advice. However we don’t run and hide. We follow our normal routine. Rarely do we use the kitchen and we have a TV in our room so again we rarely watch it in the living room once home. We keep a very busy lifestyle and don’t use 90% of the house which is why we decided to become hosts.

1 Like

UPDATE - The Guest contacted me with a question (fishing for Disney tickets since we are both Cast Members) and I took the opportunity to mention it saying ’ While I have you I’d like to discuss the reservation. 6 Guests were on your booking and now clearly 8 are staying. We respectfully request that you go onto the AirBnB site and modify the reservation to include all 8 Guests in your party.’ She replied ‘Sure sorry about the extra. Her parents decided at the last minute to join’

The modification is complete and accepted! Phew…that could have gone a lot worse. Feeling fortunate that it worked out without things getting heated! THANK YOU to everyone for your support and advice! We really appreciate their being this sounding board with more experienced hosts to bounce things off of!

9 Likes

it happened to me several times but i found out before they arrived, or was home and never let them in. Additional charges twice guests refused to pay being completely clueless about what no charge for extra people was. They thought if there was no additional charge written there then they can bring as many people as they wish after what they booked for. Even after i explained to them that they can not book for 8 and bring 12, as it happened once. ANd think i am going to let 12 in if maximum limit is 8. I explained also that city of Hollywood considers it a violation to bring more than 8 into this house. They still would not agree and kept insisting on not paying and staying all 12 of them. Well, its resulted in me keeping the money, cancelling their reservation and them paying double for their acomodation somewhere else.

SInce they are already in your house the only way you can get money from there is through resolution centre. Or try and ask them but i doubt they will pay you.
Of course call AIr, and explained to them what happened, how you were not home and they brought all these extra people.
I would definitely talk to your guests first. Explained to them that they can not sleep on couches, because its not for their use. Explain to them that they did not rent the whole house but a private room ONLY. Explain to them that its not ok to bring more people that they booked for.
Be nice but firm. ANd do not let them make you feel guilty about anything or anyone, not the little girls , not other issues.
May be they are clueless, who knows, may be they did it on purpose. Its your call to straighten the situation and establish some order in your house.

1 Like

Good job. It’s always a learning experience and more things are sure to come. But it’s always easy to sort out and this forum always has great advice. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thats awesome. I wrote my response before i saw yours. You had more luck than me. I had several times very disagreable guests

4 Likes

You bring up a good point. Since technically this was not through the resolution center will Airbnb take her additional payment due via the modification and forward it to us through the standard host payment method?