Missing house key, but can't prove that my guest took it?

We had bought this model:

Work perfect for us

Yes, a key lock box is useful, but a good digital lock, imo, is still better. Thereā€™s no key to lose. Disclaimer: Iā€™ve never used either a key lock box or a digital lock. Like I said, I like the digital lock idea, but it wonā€™t work with my door.

is your door a standard door (not a deadbolt)? If so, then the Lockstate 6i (which I use) is a direct replacement for it. Remote programming, total integration with airbnb, and very sturdy and professional feel makes it really niceā€¦ it is on your airbnb dashboard as ā€˜host assistā€™ā€¦

Yes, itā€™s a standard door.

Unfortunately Iā€™m in India, which has limited shopping options for things like smart locks. And even if you can get hold of it somehow, e.g. by importing it, support is an issue.

I donā€™t know what you mean by this, sorry.

Hi @KKC,

I see. That particular field/option/menu item does not appear on my dashboard here.

1 Like

Do, I donā€™t have it either. Curiouser and curiouser.

1 Like

She is in year 11 at school, which means sheā€™ll be turning 17 sometime this year. I donā€™t know when though. But yes, no more non registered guests, no matter how nice the registered guest is!

This is what I already have. The problem is I had a spare key kept inside the house to lock the door on the inside at night. That is the one they have taken even though they already had 1 key, so now I need a new lock.

Thanks! Iā€™ll look into this one. One problem I am having is that many of the smart locks arnt available in Australia. At the moment Iā€™m leaning towards the kwikset kevo

I had the Kevo but changed it to Lockstate 6i; Kevo requires a lot of work for the guest (download and sign up with an app, understanding how to approach the door, etc). Some folks do not have compatible phones; some folks go crazy figuring out the app, usually right in front of your door late at night.

the lockstate is not a deadbolt and simply changes to locked once you come in.

Also, if you want to set up a range of time, you enter it manually, and it only allows a day staring t midnight and ending at midnight, so it is complicated to program, and you have to do that for every person. The lockstate integrates with air so it automatically programs, sends a one of a kind code to your guest, and programs check in and check out times.

Hmm unfortunately it is only available for preorder here. The only one I can really find in shops is kevo, and some Samsung ones. I was thinking of getting a couple of fob keys if I go with the kevo, hopefully to reduce confusion and if they lose them it is only $30 to replace.

If this incident doesnā€™t completely turn you away from using Airbnb ā€“ and it shouldnā€™t! - I would highly recommend you switch to using smart locks as this could have been avoided and you would be able to control who is allowed to enter the property and when. They are a little more expensive than changing your locks (but not by much) and will really make things easier for you and your rental property in the long run. They also make check-ins/outs and security much more manageable. I know tech-savvy property management companies, like Pillow Homes and plenty of others, help homeowners decide what keyless entry systems they may want to install and a popular one is the August Smart Lock because of their ease of use and practicality with an Airbnb rental. Their device has the best features with app control, a doorbell cam to see who is at the door, entry notification, and other cool things. Anyways, Iā€™m sorry you had a poor experience with your second guest, but I really would recommend you stop worrying about losing another key again and try out a smart lock.

1 Like

Thankyou. Yes I have ordered a Kwikset Kevo so will have a go at installing it this weekend. It ended up costing $200, and I can get new fob access keys for $30 if a guest ever loses one, which seems much more reasonable than redoing the locks!

1 Like

I didnā€™t want to be messing with physical keys, so we got a keyless Schlage key-pad system installed before we ever opened our doors. Itā€™s been great because my wife kept losing her key. Now we have ours** & can never get locked out, the cleaning lady has hers, a trusted neighbour has hers, handymen get them as needed, and of course each set of guests gets one. We delete & change the unneeded obsolete ones. We got lazy about the guest number & only change it if somebody local has stayed.

** - may not have been clear that we have one lock with multiple valid pin codes. Change a cleaning lady? Make a new code for the new person & kill the old code without inconveniencing everybody else.

A link: https://mg.mail.yahoo.com/neo/launch?.partner=rogers-acs&.rand=2bm99lvonpqo4#

Iā€™ve read that the Schlage is one of the better ones. I did look into getting it but the only place I could find it was through the Apple online store for $400. I hope I didnā€™t make a mistake going with the cheaper option.

In other news, I just had some new Airbnb guests through after my not so good ones, and they were AMAZING. I was seriously considering giving up on the Airbnb share house but iā€™ll keep on with it.

I didnā€™t end up charging my previous bad guest through his security deposit - though I think I could have. I figured that he was only young and didnā€™t have any money anyway, I just used his stay money to change the locks which will just cover it. I did leave him an appropriate review though so other hosts will be aware.

1 Like

Thank you!..