Mental Patient as airbnb guest

I don’t see why. There have been many instances here of hosts who have written great reviews for less-than-perfect guests. There are hosts who fear a ‘retribution’ review. Some hosts have never written a negative review of their guests - they just come here and vent instead and leave no review.

I’ve had guests with perfect 5 star reviews and they certainly haven’t been 5 star guests.

4 Likes

I don’t have anything against super guest status but I’m not naively thinking that would tell me something about the guest that I need to know. Looking at their reviews and star rating is good enough. If I have concerns and the time to look I’ll look at reviews they left their hosts but most the time I don’t have time anyway.

Quit thinking Airbnb is magically going to do something to solve guest problems, they aren’t. They are going to get you reservations and deliver your payment. Anything else is a bonus.

1 Like

Yes.

Unfortunately Airbnbhell.com has many Super Hosts behaving in a less than super manner to guests.

Many on this forum doubt super host status is very meaningful.

90% of the time I agree with them. I do like having a dedicated help phone number but my last issue I handled on Twitter instead.

2 Likes

Me, for example.

I’ve stayed with quite a few superhosts too and they certainly shouldn’t have been thus designated.

At the last one, just a few weeks ago, it was the most wonderful location and a good apartment with thoughtful touches.

But when I had to move the bed (long story involving the cat which I won’t go into) the lack of attention to detail by the cleaners was very apparent.

Also I’ve mentioned here before that I’ve often asked guests why they chose us. The fact that I’m a superhost has never been mentioned. It seems that it doesn’t mean much to a lot of guests.

1 Like

I don’t allow a booking unless a guest has prior bookings w good reviews …this helps to weed out the crazies

Quite true. The cat, pool, and my reviews (pretty much in that order) are the reasons people book with me. The proximity to things they want to do is a given.

If you have accurate photos, thoughtful touches, and good reviews, that matters. If I lost superhost tomorrow I’d be bummed because of listing placement, but that’s about it.

I would say over 95% of my guest have had ZERO reviews and they’ve been lovely. A conversation over messenger really helps sets the expectations and hosts can help a newbie with the Air ropes (not a hotel, wear your pants when getting coffee, don’t cook soup in the kettle…etc etc) and also can get a feel if someone is crazy or just not a good fit.

Some @sshat can make a new profile if their old one was blocked due to bad behavior.

1 Like

Not really. The situation here was typical of going off meds. Someone can have dozens of good reviews then make a bad decision

Well for the majority of people, you may be correct but there is always 1 who will be different.

1 Like

Me too. Maybe 85% for me.

1 Like

It does help, the few bad clients I have had had no reviews at all. That’s why now I don’t allow booking with at least 1 good review. Haven’t had any problems since.

If you are just renting a single room, especially in a city, and not booked you will likely attract all kinds of unstable people. This one didn’t seem that bad, and didn’t cause any damage. I’m not sure what you could have done better. Maybe require guest to have a verified place of employment, or ask them what they do for work. If they are unemployed, maybe best to avoid. I don’t think you can cancel someone the day of checkin. Just deal with them like you did and move on. Not sure what the point of this is. More unstable to think Airbnb can screen guest like this, and to go on and on about it. You see people like this all the time.