Mental Patient as airbnb guest

please reread the post, I think it is all clear and I took the time to articulate myself. It seems you are misunderstanding what I wrote. For example i was referencing another post when mentioning the urinating through an attic section. Putting this as politely as I can please reread and that is not intended to upset you ! I fully understand if english is not your first language.

That’s okay. English is my first language, American my third.

5 Likes

Yes agreed good observation.

I don’t necessarily eliminate all local bookings because many here in AZ have recently sold houses and need a place to go while looking to buy another one, or are remodeling over the summer while the kids are out of school. But I have turned down other locals who say they ‘need a break’ from whatever circumstance they are in, read: getting away from a crazy ex or someone who lives LOCALLY as well and can hunt them down to my house! No thanks. Never use IB, always communicate w/guests before accepting a booking. Much safer.

1 Like

Or you could try looking at how you are writing your posts. They do sometimes raise more questions than they answer in some of them.

In case you make another assumption. English is my first language and US like @jaquo is still one I’m trying to learn :slight_smile:

1 Like

And hotels don’t either. If you stayed in a hotel you could be staying in a room next to a serial killer. Seriously? If it anytime anybody that you were going to rent to made you feel uncomfortable, that is 100% your responsibility to cancel the transaction and not allow them into your home.

4 Likes

We had a guest contact us at 5pm looking to come that evening. They were in their car heading to our resort town. Was kind of a red flag but house was ready…and they seemed down to earth, so why not. They became regular repeat guests and friends and referred many of their friends to us and if we couldn’t accommodate them to a neighbor who was looking for some rental income.

Additionally have rented to many locals who are looking for a getaway without having to go away or having family and guests over at their place. Recently a groom rented the house for his mother in law to be for the 2 weeks before the wedding. The engaged couple lived nearby but the mother was traveling for the wedding.

Not big on blanket rules, like no locals or young people or just a group of guys. All seem prejudicial to me.

4 Likes

Only skimmed the comments so not sure if anyone else mentioned, but your helping the person schlep the 20 boxes into the house validated that bringing 20 boxes was OK behavior.

2 Likes

Mental issues are such a hard subject to monitor and it usually takes time and observation to make the best choice for such an individual. I think you do well by distancing yourself from a situation you didn’t feel comfortable in, especially in your own home. Next time you have these orange flags, act on them and do what is best for your property and safety. A direct line of contact from the day they book to the moment they leave should give you a clear idea about what kind of person is renting from you.

mental illness has been well discussed…so nothing more to add
BUT…MOVING IN WITH 10+ cardboard moving boxes…been there done that ! That is what lead me to this forum weeks ago. Due to the tendencies of guests who seem to travel with a moving truck - we have ALSO stated on our rental offer page “No guests from same city” . We figured out there are hotel jumpers that have turned into airbnb jumpers - they tend to have id from the same city as rental, and the goal is to complain until they get as much refund as possible. These airbnb jumpers may also try to blackmail you to prevent their leaving a bad review. No vacation rental platforms i know of will help host in such situations. I was surprised more rental offers do not include "No guests with id from the same city " but good to hear some people have experienced similar issues and have added the phrasing to listings.

1 Like

I guess we’re getting a bit off-topic. Sorry OP. But can I ask if Airbnb will support that condition as a reason to not accept a booking or to cancel an Instant Booking?

If you use instant book you can easily cancel 3x a year without penalty by clicking “not comfortable.” And if I recall correctly you can cancel additional times but you will have to call them; you can’t do it online. Thing is, Airbnb wants us to accept everyone. Discrimination against locals isn’t going to be supported as a stand alone reason and I don’t think it should be. If you get a local, have a conversation with them and determine why they are booking your place and get comfortable. If you can’t get comfortable then you cancel for that reason.

2 Likes

Just thought I’d comment on this post.
We have a LTR as well as a STR. Last summer I was looking for a new tenant for the LTR. Meet what I thought a nice woman for the property. In hindsight I ignored the obvious reds flags. She told me two perspective landlords had ghosted her. I gave her a chance. She only lasted 4 months and broke her lease. She badmouthed us to the neighborhood
Paid 2k for an inspection of the unit thinking that something illegal had taken place there. Of course nothing like that had occurred. She moved out Dec 24th and left the place a mess along with lots of abandoned personal items. So yes sometimes it’s not apparent of mental issues right away.
My lesson learned is to not ignore my gut feelings about someone.

4 Likes

thanks for sharing, it can be unpredictable.

yes agreed. I’ve had local airbnb jumpers that complain for no valid justifiable reason then try to claim full refund. This problem will only get worse until airbnb start backing hosts in such a situation. Giving hosts the ability to rate guests would be a step in the right direction, i mean being able to rate guests as a super guest in same way as a super host. Drivers and guests are rated on Uber for example so why not airbnb ?

As hosts I feel we need to push airbnb to resolve issues like this and stop those who want to abuse the platform and the hosts.

thanks for your well considered comment.

1 Like

Umm…

I don’t really think I need to say much more here, other than are you really a host?

JF

3 Likes

This doesn’t make any sense.

1 Like

Now then, where’s my box of frogs graphic…

JF

1 Like

host are rated on a scale of one to 5 stars. Hosts can attain a ‘super host’ status with continual good reviews.

Guests are rated on a one to five star scale. however guests DO NOT have a ‘super guest’ status currently available.

It would be great to have a ‘super guest’ status so hosts know that these super guests are desirable.

I would give priority booking to super guests and even a discount or instant booking or other advantages. There could be numerous advantages for guest and host with this status level.