You may be overestimating people’s common sense levels and cooking ability. I’ve seen some BUSTED non-stick pans in Airbnbs. It looked like they turned up the heat too high, so that whatever they were trying to cook stuck to the pan, and/or burned. Then they tried to use sharp, metal utensils to scrape off the residue.
Based on some of the atrocities I’ve seen at potluck dinners, there are a whole bunch of folks out there who really have no basic cooking skills. I’m not even a picky eater, but this stuff was too bad. Schools need to bring back home economics classes ASAP. (For everyone, not just girls.)