Managing expectations about internet performance on different platforms

Very true! I was in IT for most of my life. Wireless tech evolves very rapidly. A newer router can often provide a better connection, even with the same service.

Asus has some great options around $60 (AC1300, etc)

Up to sounds good to me, and I am not going to put it out there unless they ask, and then I will give no guarantees and add the parts about variable depending on peak hours, multiple users and not in my control hada yada. Sigh… when did you have to be a lawyer, an internet guru, and a Cleaning contortionist to run a STR?

3 Likes

After booking the guest sends a message “One critical issue…we will have multiple devices using WiFi at the same time during our stay(ie. 4 computers and 4 phones). Can you confirm that your ISP can handle multiple devices simultaneously at fas speeds. Thanks

Seems strange for a person to book first, ask deal breaker questions after. Especially when the guest has requirements that are beyond the average guest need. Sorry that people are booking like this

So he has no knowledge of this guide, can not find it so I call VRBO. They do not send the guide to our guests until 10 days before the guest arrives. After 8 mths I just figure this out. Duh. I use both platforms airbnb and VRBO. How do we manage expectations for our listings if the guest does not even get the info until 10 days before their arrival?

As someone who has rented over 200 aibbnb’s in over 40 countries I can tell you that from the guest side I always get a feeling of dread after booking a place and get informed there is some addendum information to read through prior to the stay. More than once I’ve had hosts drop the other shoe in these things.

If a host really feels the need to send a guest an addendum, it really should never contain anything that the guest feels should have been disclosed in the listing, this is the time for information to appear, when they were narrowing down their searches and finalizing your property as their choice.

If the addendum is nothing more than some restaurant listings or pleasant information the guest could use once they get their that’s a different story, but as a guest I’d still rather the host just save that for a copy in the property, as the less of this stuff I have to go through prior to a trip the better. As a guest all the work is up front finding my stays, after booking them I really don’t want to read through a bunch of extras to verify the host isn’t disclosing something that’s a deal breaker after the booking. My advice is hosts avoid these addendums as much as possible.

My expectations are a bit lower when traveling for vacation, I don’t expect super fast wifi everywhere I go, fast wifi around the world is still the exception to the rule. However, when travelling for work, I would be filtering results for a different set of properties, the ‘work ready’ listed properties and would only be considering properties that specifically listed fast reliable internet, unless I was staying somewhere very remote with very few choices of properties, I simply would not waste the time messaging hosts about internet when there are so many competing properties that are providing the information I need in their listing.

2 Likes

On VRBO, I include amenity limitations in my house rules, which I manually send to guests in addition to whatever VRBO sends out.

1 Like

Kat_Hansen

2h

On VRBO, I include amenity limitations in my house rules, which I manually send to guests in addition
Excellent idea. I never thought to do that. I do not think surprises are always nice. I would rather let my guests know up ftont

The first thing my guests want to do upon arrival is plug the Wi-Fi login/password into their phones. I can barely get through the tour!
:roll_eyes::joy::woman_shrugging:

3 Likes

BlockquoteThe first thing my guests want to do upon arrival is plug the Wi-Fi login/password into their phones. I can barely get through the tour!

They should be courteous and let you do your host show, but I understand why they do that. I’ve had to decrypt so many different WIFI passwords over the years. It seems like common sense and to people on top of their game you would never think any host would do things like leave out the capitalized letters of a password, or scribble it on a piece of paper in handwriting that makes a doctor’s prescription look legible, or just give you a password and there are 15 wifi networks nearby and they don’t tell you which one, or they have 5 different signal boosters with different passwords, it goes on and on, so I hope that when the guest is doing this, they are just trying to eliminate having to call you 5 minutes after you leave to help them log on.

I too had guests that prior to their arrival questioned internet specific WiFi speeds. Without the ability to hardwire their computers into the network, speeds are dependent on WiFi. Phones should be on their phone network not house or units’ in the end to give them more speed, we connected through long enough cable from the modem/router to one of their computers. It made all the difference.
I agree that guests expectations for WiFi has increased with the pandemic. Understanding the limitations is most helpful.

1 Like

I provide 100/20 Internet in the apartment where my AirBnB is and nobody has complained about the service. I also offer both 2.4GHz and 5 GHz Wifi. And if somebody wanted to plug their laptops into the router, they probably could but I don’t provide any RJ45 cables so they would have to provide their own.

Hmmm. Wondering if I should provide these. I’ve got several so no purchase required. They may never get used BUT nice to have

Again no purchase was required so I have HDMI cables available. (Zip stripped to cable connection so inconvenient to “accidentally” take)

1 Like