Makeup stained towels- am I being petty lol

@RebeccaF Black and white patterned make-up cloths, perhaps? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

My apologies if this has been covered in the comments, but I always have out plenty of nice makeup remover towelette packs and that completely solved the problem for years now.

1 Like

We put them out too, but it didn’t solve the problem. We still got lots of makeup-stained bath towels, hand towels, and washcloths and hardly any use of the makeup remover towelettes. Our listing was a 4-bedroom house and at least 25% of bookings were guests attending weddings. Guests attending weddings apparently require a sh1tload more makeup than guests doing anything else (including guests attending EDM raves). :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

Plenty of hosts provide those and the guests use the towels anyway. You’ve been lucky

1 Like

Once had a pillow case that looked like a clown version of the shroud of Turin after a wedding, that one had to be soaked and treated multiple times.

6 Likes

I have yet another laminated sign right over the double vanity between the mirrors at eye level directing guests to use the makeup wipes and not the white towels. Seems to work. I use a fancy font and foliage border so my signs don’t look too obnoxious.

HahahahAhaha!!! Oh I can imagine

Tempting as that is… we’re trying to steer clear of any signage. Personally I think it can feel passive aggressive but maybe that’s just my own hang-up.

Post it notes stuck all over the place are tacky, but I don’t think there’s anything passive-aggresive about a sign that some care has gone into in making it attractive, which states something guests need to be aware of.

I have a framed sign on my guest bathroom countertop with instructions re water usage and what can be flushed. I’m on a private septic and water doesn’t get sent to my area 24/7, gushing endlessly out of the pipes, so that info is necessary to convey to guests where they are sure to see it, not just written in a house manual.

And in many homes in Mexico you can’t flush toilet paper at all, it has to go in the basket by the toilet. That’s not the case at my place, but other hosts I know in my town also have framed signs in the bathroom to that effect.

It’s a bit different from just wanting guests not to ruin towels, as it would involve expensive plumbing repairs, but the odd framed sign here and there, especially with attractive graphics, for somethung a host has found to be an ongoing issue, doesn’t seem in any way objectionable to me.

1 Like

I’d go buy a new towel before I’d spend an hour trying to get it clean. My time is worth a lot more than $8/hr :laughing:

Not sure where you got $8 from? I stated it was $60 worth of new large bath towels.

1 Like

I was actually tongue in cheek replying to John. I realize you said 4 towels and I know that’s more than $8.

But if 4 towels cost you $15 apiece, that’s about twice as much as I’ve ever paid for a towel. And believe it or not, my towels are nice- thick and fluffy.

Like I said we decided to upgrade. Our last set of cheaper towels didn’t last long (started fraying) and didn’t hold up well to bleaching + laundering. Yes we could have gone cheaper, but small improvements like larger fluffy towels that were hopefully going to last seemed like a good decision… and the previous guest complimented us on the amazing soaking tub and towels. That was right before the mascara incident.

1 Like

Well I’m sorry you had your new nice towels stained with mascara.

I was actually surprised to find thick fluffy towels for $8 and they’ve held up to repeated washing. One guest even asked me how I keep them so soft, which was funny, because I don’t use fabric softener, or anything like that, I just wash in cool water and line dry.

I think dryers shorten the life of things. All that stuff in the dryer filter? That can’t all be pocket lint- that’s the fibres of the fabric. I line dry everything and my sheets and towels last a long time.

AMEN!
These are not personal guests… they are paying you, and – over the year – you are going to lose a few things. This is inevitable if you are in the hosting business. If we spend $50 on replacements each year out of the $20,000 we earn from our guest suite, we still pocket $19,950.

2 Likes

Answer #1: I have been using this plant-based cleaner for 15 years and it is amazing… I have watched dried blood disappear in seconds, but no bleach or other chemicals to harm fabric or leave toxic residue. A gallon of concentrate lasts us about two years. We have to do it mail order (no retail) – but if you are in the USA delivery is free.
https://biogreenclean.com/

Answer #2 Personally I would feel like I’m being really, really petty if I charged a guest for makeup stains on a towel. Now – if I had to get in professional fumigators because the guest smoked (against their agreement with us) the guest is paying for all that.

I live in Cozumel (Mexico) and everything simple to clean is fine as special detergents are hardly to get here.
So for make up spots: shaving creme!
Works super!

3 Likes

Oh I’ve never heard of shaving cream! I’ll use this next time.

I use these and it had reduced the makeup on the light washcloths substantially. I first saw these black washcloths in a higher end hotel. I don’t charge for the occasional ruining of a washcloth that I have left out. I expect people to take off makeup with washcloths.

1 Like

I try to use some humor. So the sign over the kitchen sink says “Life would be Really Groovy if everyone washed their dishes as soon as they done with them.” and it seems to work. Same with “Don’t be foggy! Turn on this fan before starting your shower.”

In addition, I have to label some outlets where plugging in an electric heater will trip the breaker.

And of course the little brass plaque from the London & Northwestern Railway:

Passengers should kindly refrain from flushing this water closet whilst the train is in a station.

::

2 Likes