Makeup removal using towels problem

Since there’s a lot of towels ruined by guests using them to remove makeup. I put this small signs on the bathroom counters along with face tissues and makeup removal wipes. (recently got advice here to purchase from the dollar tree). I think the small sign is perfectly fine, but my husband doesn’t like it. He thinks it’s not friendly to normal guests. We just provide the tissue and wipes that’s enough for them to understand. He thinks we should not put the sign there. I am here to ask all of your advise to argue with him. How do you all think about this sign.

1 Like

Like the idea - needs better wording

1 Like

Thank you so much!! what wording would you suggest?

Only Use Tissues For Makeup Removal
Do NOT Use Facecloths {or whatever you call them}

1 Like

I like the idea.

How about wording of, “Enjoy using the provided disposable tissues & facial cloths for make up removal. Dispose of in TRASH (do NOT FLUSH them in toilet)

Since I started providing something similar I’ve not had a makeup ruined washcloth. By indicating what they should do, I haven’t needed to tell the guests what not to do (meaning don’t use wash cloths for makeup removal)

1 Like

I’m wordsmithing

“Enjoy using the tissues and facial cloths for makeup removal. Dispose of in TRASH (do NOT flush them).”

1 Like

OK…I will bite…lol. You can tell your husband that 98% of my makeup abuse with towels was eliminated when I constantly tweaked my house notes to make my expectations clear from guests. I now no longer even charge a damage deposit. This is what my house notes state:

Towels and Linens: Please be respectful of bed sheets and towels. Makeup/foundation, face medications/creams, and tanning products will stain and/or bleach linens/towels. Rolled brown towels (stain resistant) are in a basket provided in each bathroom for removal of these products. Please avoid using regular hand/bath towels with all skin products. Guests are not to wash laundry belonging to the cabin in order to hide stains. Housekeeping will wash all laundry. Unsalvageable linens/bath towels will be charged to the guest

I think your husband would cringe at my notes…lol. But it works for me. If any guest takes offense, then they should bring their own towels/sheets that they can feel free to ruin…

2 Likes

There are special Make Up Remover face cloths. They have “Make Up Remover” written on them so there is no need for a sign which will make your husband happy.
Even though they are coloured they can be bleached.
Better than throw-away tissues.

3 Likes

Once I added this sign with a little box of gray washcloths, my spoilage has gone from 1-2 towels a month to 1 total in the last 4 months.

1 Like

I had the same issue but I purchased some really cheap wash clothes (Walmart - 4 for $1 ) and put them in a basket in the bathrooms. I did not post a sign but I have not had one ruined good wash clothe since. In the 3 months I have tried this I have had to only discard only 1 good wash clothe and that was due to wear. I have discarded 3 or 4 cheap ones due to make up stains. Cheaper than tissues and it saves my good ones…

6 Likes

Sorry but I agree with him. I hate to see signs treating me as though I’m a child. I’ve often had guests remove makeup using our white towels and 99% of the time it washes out and the towels are perfect again. (Cold water and Oxyclean). If it doesn’t come out first time, which is unusual, put the towels in with the next wash.

In the last few years, I can only think of TWO occasions where I’ve had to use extreme measures (bleach).

I’m not 100% sure about this but I think that cold water is the answer?

3 Likes

Thank you ALL for the feedback. We have lots of ruined towels. We will discuss all the options and come up one we can both live with. :slight_smile:
Thanks again for all your advise and posts!!

I have a sign about using provided make up wipes, not towels, and no one has said they were or acted as if they were offended. There’s another sign above the toilet not to flush wipes or feminine products, only toilet paper. I put flowery borders and laminated them, and used “please” and “thank you.”

That’s very interesting. I always use hot water. That’s what I think will be better to remove the makeup stains. I will have to try to use cold water. I always stain spray them, wait for 24 hours, then use oxi clean for white and bleach, wash stained towels like 3 to 4 time. We have something around 30 washcloths and 10 hand towels and bath towels that have to replace due to the stains. Even after I wash 3 to 4 times, they couldn’t come off.

I came cross this product, compressed towels. It’s between face tissue and real towels. About 7 cents each. I am going to give it try along with the nicer sign.

Give it a try. I had the makeup situation yesterday - several white towels absolutely covered. I didn’t use Oxyclean (just regular liquid, Tide or something) and the towels are fine and now in use for another guest :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I found this tip from an Airbnb venue that hosted weddings. In the bathroom there was a laminated sign that asked guests to remove makeup with the provided black towels. I use chalkboards for my notes so I leave that chalkboard beside a stack of black washcloths and hand towels. It hasn’t solved the issue completely, but at least I have people use them. On a side note - it is amazing to me the stains people can get on white towels. :face_vomiting:. Bleach is my new best friend.

1 Like

I’ve posted these several times before, but they were a game changer for us!! Worth every penny and no more ruined washcloths/towels. https://www.amazon.com/Luxury-Black-Turkish-Cotton-Cleansing/dp/B00ZGWL4MK/ref=mp_s_a_1_fkmr0_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1544291024&sr=8-1-fkmr0&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=chakir+turkish+black+makeup+washcloths

1 Like

I have been quite lucky this year with minimal make-up damage to towels (hope I haven’t jinxed myself there!). I put a pack of facial wipes in the room and I used to have a little note beside it asking not to use the towels for make-up removal. One guest left a stained towel right next to the note :confused: It seemed deliberate but could have been a coincidence, I suppose. Anyway, I’ve removed the note now.

One thing that puzzles me, though. Why, just WHY, would you use a towel to remove make-up??? It makes absolutely no sense to me whatsoever.
A. It’s a dry towel. It’s not going to get it all off and surely it’s not particularly comfortable.
B. This is the towel you’re supposed to dry yourself with after a shower. How are you going to do that when you’ve smeared make-up all over it?
Just weird.

2 Likes

That’s a great idea also. Can you wash them with the white towels together using bleach? how many of them you leave in each bathrooms? I don’t want take extra time from the cleaners. and I have 11 bathrooms need to put in the towels. Thinking of the cost:)