Maintaining superhost status -don't fall for it!

Until Airbnb pays superhosts a better rate than regular hosts I can’t see fighting harder to get it and keep it. For some hosts/areas, I could imagine it indirectly improves revenue by increasing the number of queries and the number of folks who convert from interested to booked. In our area, due to relatively few nearby offerings, I don’t think superhost status would do much to improve our income and it sure seems like a double edged sword (both a badge of honor and a regular source of additional stress).

1 Like

Same here. I never looked for a super host when i travel.
I ve been hosting for 16 months now, and i am always between 75% and 79%. SOmetimes i even get more than 80% but then few people give me 4* for no reason at all, since they give me 5* on the rest of categories and it drops again. I dont even check it any more. I just stayed in super host house in SF, and if this is how a house of SH looks then please, i would rather not stay in SH houses again. It was just plain dirty. But the woman was super nice. I wold rather have less niceness but more cleanliness.

MissMiami has her business-only approach to hosting, and it’s fine for those who want to do it that way. But pushing that approach on other hosts spreads the very destructive social problem of commodification of human beings that corporate culture has promoted in America. Airbnb is part of the sharing economy, where real humans have an opportunity to bring heart and soul back into our exchanges, and resist the corporate trend to dehumanize everything that can produce profit. That is the biggest reason I’m a host. I’ve been hosting for six and a half years, with five bedrooms in my home, so people come and go every day, and I usually have a full house. I also work outside the home and am a graduate student. Yes, it’s a lot of work to invest myself in the humanity of hosting. But in that work, I find meaning and joy. I wouldn’t give that up for any amount of money. Hosting is not just a business; it is a way of life. And guests are not just my customers; they are my fellow travelers on the planet. Sometimes, they are my teachers; sometimes, my friends; sometimes, my family; sometimes, my inspiration; sometimes, my headache. If you’re okay with treating people as commodities, working only for money, and insulating your heart from the opportunities to connect, learn, grow, and live passionately on this Earth, then by all means, treat hosting as strictly a business. That may seem to be an easier way to go about hosting (and living), and that’s your choice. But to those of you who saw that post, and doubted the validity of your own passionate, caring, engaged approach, I urge you not to accept such “conventional wisdom” so readily. If you derive pleasure and meaning from hosting, giving that up will deprive you and your guests of something beautiful. You can learn to set limits, while still remaining a present, caring, passionate host, so that you don’t burn out. That learning process will help you set better limits throughout your life, while remaining a present, caring, passionate human being, in all of your relationships. I’ve had to learn better limit setting as a host, and in the process, I’ve been stunned by how many problems I thought originated with other people actually originated with how I was communicating (covertly and overtly) to others how they could treat me and my home. Limit setting has a bad connotation and a bad rap; but as social beings, humans thrive on clear, consistent boundaries between us. Boundary/limit setting can be done warmly, calmly, and sometimes, even silently. Sometimes a more firm approach is needed; other times, not; and when you get better at it, it’s so much a part of you, that you find yourself communicating your boundaries without having to speak them. Hosting is one of the best spiritual/psychological learning tools life will bring you. I recommend trying that concept on, and letting yourself embrace the humanity in this, while also preserving your own needs, before taking lessons from that part of our culture which views being human as an inefficient distraction from making money. Airbnb presents us with an opportunity to demonstrate to the world that the messy, beautiful business of human relationships is worth the price, and that you can make a profit while still embracing humanity.

8 Likes

You are very idealistic and good for you! The goal now will be to remain so throughout your life as you get older, and I sure hope you do. Cynics are no fun, kind and enthusiastic people sure are. :v:

1 Like

Well, since I’m 52-years-old, I think I’ve remained so for most of my life. LOL. Actually, I’ve been through my cynical phases, but where I’ve landed is, I have an obligation to hold this ground, even when it’s me, myself, who wants to turn away from it. I think it’s natural to get cynical, because the world can be hard on us. And it’s important (and empowering) to find our way back to our ideals.

1 Like

I took you for being much younger, you doing quite well for 52. LoL
I could see you are governed by principles. Good thing you are not alone, as you know by now.

/Happy hosting lady.

2 Likes

I love this post and feel much of what you feel about the potential. I’m also older and getting more idealistic and less cynical as I age. I’m not as invested in my guests as you. In another thread I mentioned that I can’t imagine feeling hurt or backstabbed by a guest because I don’t have that kind of relationship with guests. I know a lot of people here are probably rolling their eyes and sighing as they read your post but I wanted to say, Bravo!

5 Likes

Thank you, Mearns, and Karma Casa. Yes, I see a lot of other hosts governed by principles, and that’s one reason I love this forum. Most of the people posting here are sincerely seeking the right principles, the right balance, the right way forward in a lot of challenging situations. By having these conversations, we’re culture-building. We’ll all advocate for the Airbnb culture we think will be best. I like to look at everything I do in the context of the society I want to create (out of the ashes of the destructive forces around us). I am cynical about many things, so the eye-rolling isn’t 100% earned (lol), and that’s why I think standing for principles is so important. We create the world in which we live, to a great extent, by choosing actions, attitudes, and associations that support our principles, and steering ourselves, our associates, and our loved ones away from those that tear down the house. Sometimes folks don’t even realize their words or deeds are tearing down the house. There are basically good people in the world, just going with the flow of conventional wisdom, because that’s what they have learned is the mature/professional/right/convenient thing to do. But it’s conventional wisdom that soaked our world in chemical pollutants, steered a once-noble democracy toward fascism, and reduced humans to “consumers” (and now, widgets). So I advocate for subjecting CW to scrutiny, especially where it reduces rather than enlarges us as humans. And that goes for my hosting as much as it does for my voting, my education, my family/friends relationships, and so on.

3 Likes

I think no matter how well you try to hide it, if you are desperate for a good review or to maintain superhost status, the guest can kind of sense it, then they knowingly (or unknowingly) take advantage of the power they feel they have over you.

On the other hand if you are pleasant but ultimately are not desperate or falling over yourself to please, I think they sense that too, and there is a subtle power shift!

It helps to know that. You may be surprised that having unburdened yourself of the need to maintain superhost status, that may be the very thing that helps you maintain it!!!

8 Likes

These are such great observations! @AmyB, I love your post and much of it resonates with me. I’ve been doing airbnb for nearly 4 years now and have struggled with host fatigue on many occasions. But a few days off and/or a new delightful guest always get me back on track. Over the years I’ve comforted guests after a bad experience, nursed them when sick, laughed till I cried at their stories, learned about all kinds of weird and wonderful things, had fascinating political discussions,etc etc. It’s true that the majority of guests are simply after a cheap alternative to a hotel and that’s fine too. They come, we chat, they are comfortable, they stay, they leave, it’s all good. @AquaticQuests, I completely agree with your astute observation about the power thing. If you give off a sense of being servile you will be treated that way. It’s instinctive, it’s hard to respect someone who doesn’t respect themselves.

2 Likes

Wow Amy, that sounds like a convention speech! And I mean that in the best of ways!

1 Like

Great post @AmyB and it should serve as a reminder that an individual could walk with a high sense of idealism and great expectations even in today’s ‘much-too-cynical’ world.

@AquaticQuests Fascinating observations and above all shows an exceptional understanding of human nature. In many ways Amy’s post relates to yours; he who lives by good principles (aka inner strength), walks with no fear.

1 Like

Airbnb actually does recognize Superhosts with compensation–last year I got a $120. voucher for a stay at any Airbnb listed space, apparently because I maintained my status for some period–I forget what the time period was though. I use Airbnb for accommodation quite regularly, but never look for Superhost status.

Interesting theory. But I’d like to see some data in support of it. Hands up everyone who has unburdened himself or herself of the need to maintain superhost status. :slight_smile:

I’ve had superhost status the last 5 quarters but will be losing it come oct. 1. Relieved to read the concensus seems to be being a SH or not doesn’t make a significant difference to your income (as long as you have alot of reviews and good ratings). I’ll come back and post again in January with my own testimony.

I too agree with many of the posts that say being a SH attracts a**holes/picky and critical people. My ratings have slowly been decreasing from ~85% to 76% 5 star reviews, I’ve hosted 90 reservations. I haven’t changed a thing but have noticed I just seem to get more and more crtical people. It’s like the more reviews I get the more people expect from me. It makes sense though I admit my expectations would likely be higher for someone with a SH badge, 4.7 overall rating with 90 reviews and nearly all written reviews are glowing and good (me right now lol) vs. Another listing wth the same overall score but no badge and only 15 reviews.

I definitley advocate treating airbnb more like a business and detach yourself as much as you can emotionally. It definitley depends how you run thing tho… bc if you run it like.a bed and breakfast you’re basically expected to be super interactive with your guests. God i could never do that lol. I’m personable but IMO treating this with an all business approach is ideal. Takes minimal if any emltional toll, minimal amount of work too. I literally simply exchange messages when guests first book. Send them check in instructions with a digital code to access the house and that’s it! I have absolutely no interaction with my guests during their stay except for a check in message I send during their stay to make sure they are happy and make them feel like I am extra caring ha. Never had a complaint about this approach, i think people like having their space and not having to deal with the host whatsoever for check in or check out. I make it clear I am available whenever if they need me but rarley am called upon. I spent alot of time making a detailed house rules book with specific instructions for what’s expected checking in and out. What i spent most time on was an extremely detailed guidebook with absolutely everything one would need or want to know. I Ieave both pieces laminated and laid out for guests on the kitchen table. I definitley reccomend doing this.

I feel bad for everyone that is SO involved with their guests and listings… i used to be like that when I started and only rented one room in my house out… but once i converted to full home rental and was out of there the RELIEF! That approach is so incredibly draining I can’t imagine how people keep it up full time all the time. I remember i used to care so much about my reviews… now it’s a chore to get on and write the damn things for my guests haha. I used to immediately write theirs and eagerly wait to see their review post but now I just dont care anymore. Probably check mine every 2 weeks to make sure I’m still getting good reviews.

Happy hosting!

7 Likes

Interesting post, @Rory_Taylor. Thank you for taking the time to write it. What would you say is the average length of stay in your rental? And what is your location?

Yes, please keep us posted if you find that losing your SH status changes anything. I was surprised, but please, to get the golden carrot, but I don’t really care. I clean the same for every guest and provide nothing extra, unless my guest is a repeat guest, and then I ask them if they like wine, and I also provide cheese, crackers, fruit, and some sweets because they are a proven guest and I want to let them know that I really appreciate the return visit! I have a guest coming back next week for his fourth visit. I guess what I am trying to say is that I have a standard and I maintain that standard, no matter what. The SO status does not change that – I don’t do more or less than when I first started (except now I have two umbrellas).

@Rory_Taylor, have your guests lately been specific as to why they rated you less than 5 stars?

And this you connected to being SH? Perhaps is the rise of more competition and now more an arrogant clientele, or the totally non-contact style you have with your guests that evokes a zero emotional bonus, or you have entered an efficiency/lucrative combination that fits you well but its equilibrium of guest satisfaction falls below the requirement of SH. Any of these things could also be the reason, solely or collectively.

3 Likes

This is so typical of human mentality. Given enough time, the SH status will be made to sound like it is a liability, and those with it will have to apologize to even mention it. The omnipresence of social conformity.

Of course, the SH program is a bit silly now, with some of its present requirements. To me it misses the mark, its goal should be - to illuminate the hosts that are the most consistent over time (4.5+ star rating for example) because those are the ones that will serve best the Airbnb brand in the long run.

Personally, I could care less whether I am labeled SH or not (or any other label for that matter), because Airbnb doesn’t define how I run my place or the way I am going to treat my guests. Airbnb and I run in parallel, sometime they find I am worthy of their badge, and maybe sometimes they won’t; it makes no difference to me, for I will be doing an excellent job by my standards not theirs, regardless of what label they choose to give me at times.

3 Likes