Loyalty Perks for Frequent Guests

I’m in agreement with @jaquo

If there is guests I welcomed a return visit from (who I knew were low maintenance, followed the rules & cleaned up after themselves) I’d send them a direct email (NOT via AirBNB communications) with an offer to book directly. I give them the option of booking on AirBnb or directly; I’d include screen print spreadsheet that showed the savings (minus the fees).

You’d have to trust the guests enough to ensure they were reliable enough since cancellation policy is not enforceable.

3 Likes

@HH_AZ So you don’t pay taxes on direct bookings?

2 Likes

I should think that most hosts who do direct bookings have their own cancellation policy which is enforceable in that the host would already have a deposit from the guest. Then they could require the balance paid a week before arrival.

1 Like

@HH_AZ How did you come up with a 10% Airbnb guest service fee? It’s something like 14.5%, minimum.

LOL. It’s a Phoenix event.

2 Likes

@KasualObserver Thanks for the concern on guest name but as @KKC pointed out, ‘Barrett Jackson’ (I had it inverted) is an auto auction that is a big draw to Phoenix Scottsdale in January.

Good point. I didn’t do such because those guests I did this with were those I would have been flexible with even if there were a cancellation policy.

That is what is was (for me) when I did that offer.

To quote corrupt seditionist Trump attorney, John Eastman:

3 Likes

That must have been a long time ago. It was over 10% when I started hosting in 2016.

Yep. Mine is we keep 6% of the deposit to cover credit-card fees (and time wasted) if they cancel more than 60 days prior to check in. All monies paid are forfeited if they cancel less than 60 days before check-in. Since full payment is due 60 days before check in, they have the full payment at risk.

2 Likes

I concur with your point. Why Airb&b would even consider stepping up to cover injuries etc for a booking outside their platform boggles the mind. I myself do not offer loyalty perks. I am fortunate to have a place that offers a wonderful view and have had many return guests who do not question paying through the Airb&b platform. I should mention that I do not increase the rate seasonally. I keep it the same year round. However I did have one guest who booked and then asked for a discount as a return guest. I declined simply because the rate for my place is fair to begin with and have had no problems attracting guests. In this case, the guest cancelled and it filled almost immediately.

I don’t understand why so many hosts are so willing to give away their product. I get tons of repeat customers and I do not automatically offer discounts. If a repeat customer that I like asks for a discount, I give one- but hardly anyone asks- not even for longer stays. Those of you who book outside airbnb are asking for trouble if something happens and you have no recourse to cover for injury or accidental damage. Big chains offer discounts to entice bookings with bargain hunters. From the responses here, not too many of you have repeat customers of any consequence so why bother. By offering discounts that are not asked for, you are saying your place is worth less than your asking price. It is a race to the bottom

1 Like

“Those of you who book outside airbnb are asking for trouble if something happens and you have no recourse to cover for injury or accidental damage.”

You sound like you are under the impression that Airbnb actually covers injury and damage. That’s a crap shoot.
Taking direct bookings is in fact much more secure if the host takes a damage deposit and has their own str insurance.

2 Likes

Why are you exaggerating? No one here is giving away free nights, which is the product. In my case, they save on Airbnb fees. I still get the same amount.

Also I only offer direct bookings to guests that have stayed and been good guests. This is a good business practice because that means I know how much cleaning and wear and tear is involved.

The truth is that people who don’t give discounts don’t like people who do because it makes their listing less competitive.

5 Likes

Do you really think that Airbnb is the only way to rent out property, what do you imagine that people did before 2008? It is still isn’t the securest way to do it.

Insurance is more reliable and will actually take your calls.

1 Like

And I’d say a certain percentage of a nightly price is to cover unknowns, so if they’re known you don’t need that coverage.

1 Like

This is a tough one. I am getting more and more repeat guests. I really try to stay with Airbnb because the protections are so great. Just having the liability coverage is worth it to me. I also have the worry if someone just decides that they are not going to leave and I have no way to get them out.

“I also have the worry if someone just decides that they are not going to leave and I have no way to get them out.”

I don’t understand. Do you think Airbnb helps you on this?

Many here would disagree that the protections from Airbnb are so great. Most find the main appeal of Airbnb that it brings them guests.

If you really have enough repeat guests to keep you going you should really consider getting on OwnerRez [Google it], getting a contract in place, real insurance protection. Ask @busymumsy

I’m not affiliated in any way with OwnerRez.

I don’t think this is a tough one at all.

Currently running at 90% occupancy, with 85% direct bookings. Most of these are converted repeat guests after coming to me via one of the OTA’s.
I have not had an Airbnb booking after May 12, since the stupid Summer Release algorithm. Apparently some sanity will return after June 30 when they are reversing some of the changes, but also concerned that what ever they fiddle with will break something else.

Someone posted on the Airbnb CC today that they have actually changed something and now if a guest inputs the location they are looking for, they do get a map of the correct area and the listings there, not a bunch of far flung places. But they still haven’t changed the “One week” thing, which is confusing lots of guests.

Holy cow, I just searched our area (I let it default to a week), and the categories were NO LONGER there. Desktop, Chrome. They were there before I entered the location.

1 Like

Yep, for me too. I reported it a week ago but I think it was right before the site went down.

1 Like