Lovely home trashed by guests, lack of airbnb support

How do you know you will only have hosts join?
You are creating a bad guest list…are you sure you want to publish this on line?
Could you be accused of slander?

Air is a booking platform, period. They don’t stand behind anything except their technology and the money generated by guests and secondly hosts.

As Air gains popularity, hosts will continue to be replaceable.

Read this forum. Stop taking Air’s poor Customer Service business practices personally, go to war for your money and keep going with Air.

The good outweighs the bad. 5 years without a problem? Dude…

1 Like

I understand what you mean but I also don’t think that guest ought to be able to get away with tearing my house up and then coming over to yours and tearing your up and going on to the next house. I may not be tough enough to be a host with my big beautiful ranch, been online since Dec.12 2019 and have had more damage in 2 months than I have had over 15 years. I just had more faith in people

Then review appropriately, and they will not be able to book my place!

1 Like

Review honestly. Review honestly. And no, they shouldn’t get away with it.

If this happens often, raise your prices and fight with Air on social media to get compensated. Because something’s wrong with what you’ve been doing for the last 2 months.

@Eve1 What do you mean “they have nothing for me to report a bad guest” ? Your property manager has complete control of your listing? I thought you said earlier that they told you not to leave a bad review’? So it seems that you do have the ability to write a review. Why are you not doing that?
If you have only had your listing up for a month and a half and have been having horrible guests who trash the property, I don’t know why you are using these property managers. They sound like they don’t know how to run a place properly or monitor what the guests are doing. Or your listing is written up in a way that is attracting and encouraging this type of behavior.

2 Likes

Your “property managers” don’t seem to have a clue what they are doing. Google “review NameOfCompany” …

I completely understand. We had a similar experience last June. I finally settled with the Airbnb insurance in January but it was a hybrid settlement. I have private insurance which was absolutely essential in reducing my losses.

We had our home turned into a pop-up brothel, discovered drug paraphernalia, many items stolen including our financial records, car stolen, and damages to our flat. We filed police reports and l even had photographs of the criminal gang.

It was very difficult determining how the criminals booked my flat but after a lot of research; I discovered how. I believe Airbnb is correct that it happens rarely but when it does, it can be costly, isolating, unsettling, and in rare occasions dangerous.

I am taking a break from Airbnb. I have been a super host for 9 years now and I do enjoy meeting my guests and found a second career in the hospitality business. I will probably return after I lick my wounds but will be very, very careful.

Airbnb has gotten very big and unfortunately there are many people who don’t put their heart into hosting but are more interested in maximizing their profits. Personally, I wish Airbnb would place an identifier on the listing of each home if hosted by owner, property manager, or lease holder of someone running a multiple Airbnb home business. And the company has to be more transparent about host safety and be upfront if they do verification or not. Many hosts are confused and believe they do.

I don’t agree with some of the directions the company is taking and I really miss the community during the early years. It is a global corporation now and soon to be trading on stock exchange with a focus on delivering stock profits so they now have a responsibility to its shareholders and concentrating on its growth.

That would be great but I’m not sure how they would monitor that. I strongly prefer to stay with a “one host, one home” property. Here are things I look for: actual photo of a person with clear photo of their face in the “host” photo. Any kind of logo instead is a red flag but not an eliminator by itself.

When I click on the host profile I can see how my properties are listed by that same host. If they have more than 2 listings there is a good chance I will click away. It depends on how well I like their listing at first glance. But if it’s a tie between listings the host with only one listing will win. If I’m still considering the host with multiple listings I look at what the listings have in common. Are they all in the same house? Same building? You can read reviews for hint words like the name of someone other than the host or co-host. Or if they mention “staff” or “employees.” Sometimes multiple listings are actually just one home but different configurations like number of bedrooms. If a multiple listing host had, for example, two bedrooms in the home where they live and then a third garden apartment or guest house on the property it wouldn’t put me off. If they had three separate apartments or homes in three different locations it would.

At some point guests need to take responsibility for carefully choosing the place they stay. I know many hosts try to disguise this but Airbnb isn’t going to help us so we have to help ourselves as best we can. You can also come right out and ask the host and if you discover they lied about it when you arrive you can bring it to Airbnb’s attention then.

2 Likes

LInk from latest email I got from AirDNA re professional hosts:
https://www.theinformation.com/articles/influx-of-professional-hosts-tests-airbnbs-message?__s=kskfczhyxbzuipmecawh&utm_source=drip&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=2019+Year-End+Data+Now+in+MarketMinder&utm_content=1

1 Like

I’m late to the party but…try not to make an emotional decision that will affect your bottom line. I understand the frustration and disappointment, but all the platforms are flawed in some way. Just yesterday I spoke with VRBO CS about payments and they’re just as scripted and incompetent as Air. I love my place…did it from scratch just because I love interior design and wanted to give people a great experience in a really neat environment, but at the end of the day I’m about my bottom line. It’s been disrespected and damaged, but I do what I have to do to push through. I have gotten little to no support from Air, but I’m not going to throw the baby out with the bath water. Get on all of the platforms and try PeerSpace for commercial bookings if you have that kind of place. Then get your social media game up. Eventually, you’ll have enough direct bookings to sustain yourself. But for right now, diversify.

2 Likes