Lovely home trashed by guests, lack of airbnb support

In the end that’s what it is about because Air does not care.

Exactly, now that she is prepared it should be easier.

Also the OP stated that this is the worst thing that happened IN FIVE YEARS

Time to move on

RR

Great variety of responses, including useful suggestions for preventing this from happening again. I appreciate the “tough love” as well, as I think it’s true that we have an emotional attachment to our place and in that context should not expect Airbnb to understand. We will be getting an exterior camera right away.

Regarding the wine, we weren’t actually keeping what I would call a “collection,” but we have a wine rack with an honor code system that includes a jar where where guests are asked to leave money for anything they take. Guests have loved this feature and until now have always paid for the wine they’ve taken. We have really aimed to provide a top notch and unusual listing, and because of this we have many return guests who love the home almost as much as we do. Perhaps part of why this happened is because we’ve become complacent in our screening, assuming that Airbnb will do this effectively for us. In the future, besides having cameras, I also plan to require more communication beforehand in order to better assess whether they’re trustworthy and a “good fit” for our place.

3 Likes

I stayed in a home this summer with the same system. In addition to those bottles on the rack inside there were another 2 cases in the basement that guests are welcome to enter to use the laundry machines.

Don’t let one or two guests out of dozens or hundreds to have a greater effect than they should. Despite screening, things will happen. Even government agencies with the best screening tools in the world aren’t 100% accurate. Even if Airbnb screened, which they can’t, there would be issues at times. We all wish they had better customer service and payments after the fact but then our fees would increase on every booking.

3 Likes

Were you doing the “open home” program that Air has?

If I felt like they actually stood behind their hosts I would consider signing up for that, but I fear situations like you mentioned. It’s a shame. Thanks for trying to do something kind!

Set yourself up on alternative sites for 3 months before turning off Airbnb, so that you have time to build a profile. Then in 3 months time if you still wish to switch, you are in a better financial position. I am so jacked of, after having been lied to by an airbnb case worker, and other stuff i wont go into here, that I am planning to do the same.

1 Like

Best of luck. Please do return and let us know how it’s going. Although this is primarily an Airbnb host site there are often common problems across platforms so you don’t have to be an Airbnb host to post here.

exactly what we found. It appears they think hosts are just “replaceable”. I told an instabook person that I was flat on my back with the bad flu, high temp, she probably shouldnt come to my house, and I didn’t have the energy to clean up the room to prepare for her. I told her I would be happy to refund her money, just call AirBnB and cancel. She agreed, and didn’t call them till a week later. then they wanted to ding ME for cancelling!! I finally sent them a pic of my thermometer reading of 101.4 and a copy of my antibiotic Rx , and they “forgave” me… say what!!! I understand business and their not caring, but doesn’t it seem unlikely after 9 months of 5 star ratings that I would all of a sudden be a BAD host??

I am so sorry this happened to you, and I’ve been in similar spots with my personal home being disrespected. It sucks when your gut turns out to be right - when I know I have a worrying group coming in, my partner and I will literally change our plans to be around so that we can “babysit” and intervene, and yes unfortunately we’ve had to break up situations that sound similar to the one that your home was privy to.

We also have a similar wine offer for guests! We have a communal wine fridge (my partner owns a nearby winery) and it’s abused 1% of the time. I don’t think it’s wrong to have this, it’s hospitality and it’s unique.
Your place sounds wonderful, and please keep it active following this event. The next guests you host will make up for this outlier.

1 Like

Soon they will remove this post as they have removed all of my previous posts about problem guests. This is as the narcissist at Airbnb rewrite the story of trust and security for new hosts.

1 Like

We aren’t Airbnb, we are just a forum of hosts. You must be confusing us with the Airbnb Community Center forums. You will see many posts here about problem guests.

No argument here that Airbnb doesn’t do right by the hosts. But as far as you asking the guest to cancel because you were sick- that wasn’t correct to do- you couldn’t host because of your own situation, so it was on you to cancel, not the guest. The reason you couldn’t host falls under “extenuating circumstances”, so all you had to do was call Airbnb and cancel under that policy, providing the documentation you ended up sending them.
Host issue- host cancels. Guest issue- guest cancels.

2 Likes

We don’t have a level 10. You are confusing us with someone else; Reddit or Airbnb Community Center. Frankly, you don’t even know the forum you are posting on. How are you supposed to be taken seriously?

3 Likes

@Duane_Kerzic

LOVE IT! So, instead of an “ooops”, since you have no idea what forum you are on and accuse us of deleting your posts, you deflect? So, naturally our forum is the problem?

LOL! :laughing: :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: :ox:

2 Likes

Your still level 10, wherever it was that you were level 10 last week.

And you are still welcome here, relax.

RR

1 Like

thank you, I thought I would get dinged if I canceled, no matter what. And guest decided she didn’t want what I had! (and still have residual​:face_with_thermometer::sneezing_face:

I think there is a need for a website that we as host can call in and report on guests. We had a bad experience when we had guests that did a lot of damage and there is nothing we can do because we will get a bad review. So it’s just letting these guests move on to another home to ruin. There should be a site we’re we can report people so the next host can turn them down. Think people have not a lot of respect for someone’s home.

You mean you don’t leave appropriate reviews for bad guests? That’s how you warn other hosts. Please review your guests.

2 Likes

Where do I leave a review? That’s what I’m wanting to know. I think they should be charged and our property manage advised us not to because they would put a bad review on on home

@Eve1 You get a notification after a guest checks out to leave a review. Usually to your regular email Inbox if you have that checked in your profile, and you will also find the prompt in your Airbnb hosting pages in your dashboard or by clicking on Messages in the top bar- it appears as a notification there. It’s true that guests who get asked to pay for damages often leave bad reviews in retaliation, so hosts tend to let the small things go, chalk it up to normal wear and tear. But if it’s expensive damage, guests should certainly be charged.

Our home is in Colorado and it is managed by a company called Evolve they have nothing for me to report bad guest. What I am looking for is a app or a website for hosts only that we all can report good and bad customers no matter where their short term rental are listed.