Lost Superhost Status

I am hosting a young man and two co-workers of his, he had no reviews but I allowed it. They were working the night shift and came home in the morning and slept. I wish I had touched base with him before today about checking out when you’re working a night shift. When I awoke this morning, he had asked at 7:22 AM to extend. I responded immediately but he was asleep and never responded. I sent an invite to extend, texted him and called him trying to get it completed before check out time. I went over there and woke them up. I was discussing with him his options at that point. He chose to pay me with a credit card. I had only been at the door for less than 10 minutes when someone did a “trip request”. I was trying to decline it when she actually booked. I called the new guest immediately and explained in so many terms, I had a double booking and apologized and could she cancel it. She was understanding and said she would. I offered other units (albeit not the same level of privacy) but she declined. The reservations was not cancelled, I texted her to let her know. You know the rest of the story. She realized she couldn’t get it all back (I offered to reimburse the airbnb fee). I was trying to do too many things at one time.

After I left I was conversing with her about the fee to make her whole again. But it was too late. She called AirBnB and shared with them that I ASKED HER to cancel and and they cancelled it as if I had done it. The removed my superhost status that fast.

So in 3 hours, I feel all the work of the last three years has gone down the tubes. Just like that. Please don’t berate me and rake me over the coals, I’m doing it to myself. I feel like crying I’m so mad and frustrated. I should of asked the men to kindly vacate once I heard that chime.

Word to the Wise

1 Like

Superhost is not the be all, end all. Plenty of hosts are booked all the time and they aren’t superhosts. I’m not sure why SH is so important to you, you’ll have to work through that on your own.

3 Likes

Yes, it is juvenile but I do feel that way. It will pass. I do realize the other platforms have no such rating and alot of AirBnB guests don’t even check the box Superhost. I guess in the beginnning it seemed like that was the end all and you would get more bookings. I’m sure we’ll do fine.

2 Likes

Don’t beat yourself over this. This could have easily happened to any of us. You’ll be a superhost again in just a few months.

3 Likes

@drsoos I’m sorry to hear this. In my previous Air rental once I was SH I was always worried I would lose it.
My second go round the town told me I could do it then told me I couldn’t and I ended up having to cancel a couple guests so they wouldn’t arrest me. haha!
Now a couple years later at my new place and getting close to having that SH again, only in a way, I’m not looking forward to it. I’m going to try to change my attitude that it’s not the end of the world if one loses it, we all just think it’s the end.

1 Like

I had all days blocked and in February I get an email from a guy that booked the next week!

Air had unblocked all my days. I hadn’t been vaxxed yet, and wasn’t ready to open. I told him that Air had unblocked the listing and would he please cancel. He called and did so, but must have told them I asked because they charged ME for the cancellation. I tried calling and leaving a message, no one called back, so I lost my superhost status and it was Air’s fault.

I did fine before Superhost, so I don’t really give a %$#* anyway, though it’s nice to be able to brag about it to those that don’t know any better.

When I switched from 3 separate room rentals to a 3br apt STR, I snoozed the room listings. If Air unsnoozes them, then I WILL complain about it, hoping that Customer Disservice has improved since last winter.

1 Like

I don’t know about that. It hurts to make mistakes. But losing SH is temporary and just not that important. Life is short. C’est la vie. Have a glass if you indulge and eyes forward.

5 Likes

It would be different if everything that counted towards Superhost were things a host had control over. But as long as bad guests can leave 1* revenge reviews which Airbnb refuses to remove, Superhost is pretty much a designation without much meaning. Its main purpose is to keep hosts stressed out about acheiving that status or losing it.

2 Likes