Los Angeles - Change Rental unit to AirBnb on Annual Rent Registry form

Greetings AirHosts!

I’m wondering if any Airbnb hosts in Los Angeles have investigated the proper way to fill out the Annual Rent Registry Form provided by the City of Los Angeles HCIDLA when you no longer have a tenant in the apartment and now rent the space for short term AirBnb? (FYI, I have already registered the unit with the city Finance Office and I make my monthly Transient Occupancy Tax report showing $0 collected, per info I found on this forum.) (And another FYI, the tenant moved out on his own; there was no eviction.)

Any help anyone can provide would be greatly appreciated. I’ve searched the web, this forum and the City of L.A.'s website but no luck finding anything.

Thank you!

Why re you making this payment? Isn’t Air collecting it automatically from people who stay in Los Angeles?

Hello!
I am not making any direct TOT payments to the City of Los Angeles. Airbnb collects it and pays it. But per the City of Los Angeles Finance Office, I am still required to register and report ($0 receipts collected) monthly. This link from this airhostsforum explains it …

Cheers

2 Likes

Thank you but why the $0? In fact, what is it for if they are getting their money from Airbnb anyway?

Hi, Amigo,
I’m wondering this too. Let me know if you find out anything. I’m at tbsholdings at gmail.

I read on the instructions for the form RR18U “Annual Rent Registry” that if you’re a new landlord an do not know all the answers to the questions you “should answer each question to the best of your knowledge. Once the Rent Registry form is submitted to HCIDLA, tenants may be able to dispute discrepancies by providing supporting documentation”. I wouldn’t think there’d be any risk of that for a unit used for aribnb hosting, so perhaps you could just leave it blank(?) That makes sense to me anyway.

At the top of the instructions for the form RR18U “Annual Rent Registry” it says, the Rent Registry Ordinance…indicates that landlords must provide rent amount and tenancy information for every rental unit subject to the Rent Stabilization Ordinance…" But it doesn’t appear an airbnb rental would be subject to the RSO. Rather, it’d be a short term rental. Googling about this, it doesn’t seem they have a “Short Term Rental Ordinance” or “Home Sharing Ordinance” yet. There are many articles indicating that they’re still working on it, but I couldn’t find anything conclusive.

If you google HCIDLA rentregistry to find their website and then search for airbnb, it links to a lot of articles on the matter. Maybe if you dig deeper than I did you will find an answer.

So, what do you put for your airbnb unit on the RR18U “Annual Rent Registry”? Fortunately, in our case, we qualify for one of the exempt categories. If you do not, perhaps for now you just leave it blank and keep abreast of the news as L.A. decides how they are going to deal with home sharing trends like airbnb. I know they charge a hefty 14% hotel tax now, that airbnb takes out of the payment before the host is paid, and sends it to L.A. automatically, so you’d think the local government would be satisfied with that.

Other articles that helped a little bit shed some light:
Google: “Responsible hosting in the united states airbnb” and find L.A.

From 5/2017 LA Times article With Garcetti’s budget relying on millions from Airbnb, will L.A. still clamp down on short-term rentals?:
Renting out rooms or whole homes for short stays is currently barred in many neighborhoods, according to the planning department. But those rules are rarely enforced. The phenomenon has exploded with the rise of online platforms such as Airbnb and HomeAway, which link travelers to hosts offering places to stay…L.A. is still debating rules that would legalize and restrict such rentals. But as that plan slowly works its way through City Hall, Los Angeles is already taxing some of them: Under an agreement with Airbnb struck last year, the company is charged with collecting lodging taxes from its hosts and passing the money along to the city.