Long-term rentals returning to my neighborhood

I’m seeing For Rent" signs in my neighborhood again (like over 1 dozen in the past 10 days!) I think this is possible sign that people may be hopping off the Air bandwagon (nightly rates for beautiful 2 bedroom apartments were as low as $89/night last January…). For Rent signs have been scarce in my trendy neighborhood for awhile, very happy to see this.

6 Likes

I think I read something about new rules and limits on strs in Chicago. Do you think hosts have reached the limit for the year and that’s why you’re seeing the rentals appearing? Btw, love Chicago, stayed in an Airbnb in 2015, beautiful townhouse that’s no longer listed :worried:

1 Like

I have noticed when I host doesn’t get a lot of bookings I see it later on craigslist as a monthly rental. It makes perfect sense actually I mean if you can’t make money on Airbnb you might be better off renting monthly and not having to clean the room… I have noticed when I host doesn’t get a lot of bookings I see it later on craigslist as a monthly rental. It makes perfect sense actually I mean if you can’t make money on Airbnb you might be better off renting monthly and not having to clean the room

I rent out short term during summer only.
Rest of the year is fixed term leased to students.
Quite a lot of long time Airbnb hosts around me adapted this model to comply city’s STR regulation.

Still bad shortage in Dublin, but I prefer short stays for our set up.

I have done the 6 months and I seem to attract people who never go out and sit in all the time. When you share a space its difficult even though we have a separate sitting room for guests, they don’t use it that much. I had one loss soul who used to follow me around the kitchen as I was cooking, by 6 months I was ready to put him in a pot.
Am going with Benjamin Franklin these days who " Guests, like fish, begin to smell after three days ", 14 days is my absolute max

6 Likes

Boy, you are the paragon of patience!
:clap:

Not sure I could put up with such leechiness for 6 days!

1 Like

I have to imagine that anyone who has not received their chicago registration number by now, and knows that they don’t meet chicagos new standards, are looking for long term renters before they are notified by the city to delist. Many people are airbnbing more than one unit in a building that is under 4 units, so they know that time in due time the city will tell them that only one listing per 4 unit building is allowed. Just mho though, i have no proof…

I think you’re correct, esp for the bigger developers/companies who have large buildings, but I’m noticing For Rent signs on 2 and 3 flats where 1 STR would still be allowed under new regs. I saw tons of AIR vacancies last winter so I wouldn’t be surprised if landlords are deciding STR isn’t worth the hassle, esp when even a few problem guests can create major headaches.

He was a student from a remote part of Ireland, his fellow students used to be a bit nasty to him , he was a simple kind of guy, loved cars, doing a mechanic course, he used to dream of cars. The mammy cooked him traditional irish food and he could not make toast, so I used to show him how to make pasta’s, curries, rice dishes. I stuck with him as I knew he was getting a hard time in college. Our chats in the kitchen everyday, were his only human interaction.

2 Likes

Aw that’s nice of you @cassid !

I might book with you if I need some TLC someday. I’ll have to learn to fake the Oirish accent and learn a bit of rural Irish geography first though!

I know two people, who have one building each. Between the two of them are a total of 6 entire apartments listed on airbnb. After regulations are enforced, there will be two entire units on airbnb. PLUS… Four units looking for long term rentals. All in wicker park/bucktown chicago.

great news for long-tern renters, the rental market has been so tight for the past few years.

There are a good few really bad Oirish accents in Hollywood and in the UK, so just come as yourself. The worst offender of Oirish was the programme " Murder she wrote" Jessica travelled to " Ireland" and lived in a traditional style “ranch”, worth watching, dreadful but funny.

I do have to warn my guests that we speak English very fast and it gets worse around the countryside. I have learnt to slow my English down for USA visitors, the UK are normally grand. We had an lovely Italian couple stay with us , who had 3 words of English and we had about the same in Italian. He spoke to me everyday in Italian at length, I replied back in English and then we just smiled at each other, sometimes, a gentle smile says it all.

Just to warn you, I do try to give most of guests a few words in Irish or “cupla focail”( KOOP-luh FUK-ul) as we say . The best Gaelige accent was a Japanese lady two weeks ago, I was very impressed. She wrote down loads of Gaelige and tried them on her travels around Ireland, she was welcomed with open arms, she is coming back next year.