Long term rental after short stay?

HI , If we have guest who rented for a short period of time. And then asked to become a regular, steady tenant (a year) in the near future, would we be breaking any air b and b rules to accept that person as a tenant? Thanks. I understand not communicating at all outside of air before a booking, but wondered what is acceptable after a booking.

1 Like

That is not a violation. Just take it off Airbnb. Also keep in mind that when you go back to Airbnb it maybe be slow to get started again. Consider all the pros and cons before switching to LTR.

Where you live it may be a problem if the local laws give LTRs distinct Renter’s Rights.

Do you really want a long term tenant? I like my guests to leave after a day or 3, that’s the best part for me. I would not want tenants who feel like they own the place. If I do not like a guest they are leaving on Sunday.

RR

1 Like

I never really see my guests. Seoerate entrance.

The question is do you really want to be a landlord? I do not, many do. Its up to you

RR

1 Like

It’s perfectly fine and not breaking any ‘rules’. That is, as long as you’re okay with having a long term tenant. Personally, I wouldn’t be.

Airbnb gets its fee for introducing guest to host. That’s it.

1 Like

I am waiting for them to come down on hosts like myself who ask for actual email addresses, sometimes I ask on platform but usually a direct text. I would be willing to bet Air thinks that they own the guests and do not want us building relationships off platform.

RR

From the TOS under prohibited activities:

• contact another Member for any purpose other than asking a question related to a your own booking, Listing, or the Member’s use of the Airbnb Platform, including, but not limited to, recruiting or otherwise soliciting any Member to join third-party services, applications or websites, without our prior written approval;
  • use the Airbnb Platform to request, make or accept a booking independent of the Airbnb Platform, to circumvent any Service Fees or for any other reason;
  • request, accept or make any payment for Listing Fees outside of the Airbnb Platform or Airbnb Payments. If you do so, you acknowledge and agree that you: (i) would be in breach of these Terms; (ii) accept all risks and responsibility for such payment, and (iii) hold Airbnb harmless from any liability for such payment;

So I think they think they own the guests.

2 Likes

If Airbnb try to clamp down on that, try having a visitors’ book in the rentals and encourage guests to sign it and leave a lovely comment and recommendations for future guests.

Have a column in your visitors’ book headed ‘email’. Most people add their email address without really thinking about it. :slight_smile:

I am going to keep asking off platform. I start using direct text early on, I do not worry about keeping all messaging on platform its never been an issue.

RR

They can think what they want. I own my business not them. I love using Airbnb but they are just an advertising platform when all’s said and done.

Yes, if someone stays with me and that leads them to use Airbnb when they travel to Paris or Istanbul, then that’s fine, and they are an Airbnb customer.

But when they’ve enjoyed my hospitality / treats / apartments / services then I want them to stay with me again when they next come to the area. Repeat customers come because they’ve had a good time thanks to me so Airbnb are out of the picture.

P.S. I do have some repeat customers who always book through Airbnb - I’m not sure why.

2 Likes

I agree 100% , I am just saying that Air may see it differently and I would not be surprised to see the TOS change even more in their favor on this.

RR

1 Like

I do too. We leave business cards so they can call direct, but they still book through AirBnB.

1 Like