Long stay guests - How is cleaning handled

Hello,

New host here! I have a guest who will be staying for 3 months. How do I handle cleaning? Who will be responsible? She paid just a one time cleaning fee and I do not see my self cleaning after her. Any advice will be appreciated.

Best,

We tell our longer stay guests what we’ll change the bed and provide new towels once a week. We’ll do the changing if they want or give them the bedding/towels and then they give us the dirty stuff. Their choice.

If they’re here on a day when our housekeeper comes to clean, we ask the guest the day before if they want the room dusted and vacuumed and the bathroom cleaned. If so, we set a time that works for the guest.

It’s worth noting that we’re resident hosts who share the house with our guests.

6 Likes

I would want to do periodic cleaning and welfare checks on my property if I accepted bookings like that. The one guest who stayed longer, 17 days of a 22 day booking, didn’t want weekly cleanings and I regret letting him dictate that.

4 Likes

We currently have our longest stay yet, which is only 20 days. Our max stay is 9 days and they initially booked the 9 days but then asked if we could accommodate the other days. I agreed but in that agreement I told them it was mandatory for us to come in for a cleaning 1/2 way through the stay (I knew to arrange that from what I’ve learned on this forum : ) They not only agreed but offered to pay for additional cleanings if we would come once a week so, yeah, of course we went for that. They happen to be ideal guests but I am glad we are getting in there to clean and check on the place anyways because: If they weren’t great guests we could possibly solve an issue before it got worst and also because I believe it will make their move-out clean a lot easier for us.

1 Like

First, I would not accept a booking for more than 29 days… Depending on where you are there can be legal issues if you want to remove them after that.

Secondly, I would have written them a message on Air telling (not asking) them that you will be coming in every other week to clean and straighten and check the property. You can do this whether they are present or not – it is your property. If they don’t agree to this, I would have cancelled them before they atarted

1 Like

We provide all cleaning supplies and ask if they would like us to send in a cleaning crew, on their dime, any time while they are there. Often when we show up for turnover it is so clean we have problems telling if the cleaning crew was there yet.

We are also using VRBO for those months, so we have a sizable deposit.

1 Like

Almost all my guests are very long term. Cleaning products are clearly displayed. There are 8’towels per room. They clean their own and take out the garbage. I do common areas. If they are indisposed I am happy to step in.

All of them have been great. We all understood in the beginning what our roles were.

1 Like

It depends on the property and I suppose the value of the booking. You might want to do periodic checks or leave cleaning supplies for them. Ultimately it’s situational and also how trusting you feel.

Thank you! Appreciate the insights!