Listening to Guest's Loud Sex

Get this. I just got their review and one thing they complained about was how easy it is to hear things through the walls!!! So they KNEW their loud sex was audible to anyone else in the house.

There was never any doubt. This is great because it can help prevent more occurrences of this.

Unless they’re into that sort of thing. I wish AirBnB had an itemized list of “extras” hosts could provide.

• Toothpaste
  • Gluten Free Bagels
  • Tolerating your acoustic exhibitionism (extra if you want me to enjoy it too)
5 Likes

You started my morning with a great laugh.

1 Like

I was searching for this topic online because I am SO annoyed by the guests who just left. They booked last-minute, arrived late, then told me as they were entering that they were afraid of dogs and to contain them, despite there being a paragraph in my listing speaking specifically to allergies and fears and telling guests to look elsewhere. The female woke me up on the morning, again, asking me to contain my dog at 7 AM, so she could use the bathroom. At a little before 10 I received a message asking if they could stay past 10 AM checkout at 10:40. I was across the hall from their room in a Zoom meeting at the time. I agreed, and they proceeded to have very loud sex and then checkout out 30 minutes AFTER 10:40. So I sat in my office and listened to this! Never would I ever booked a shared listing if my partner and I were doing a romantic rendezvous. We are adults–shell out the money for a private Airbnb or get a hotel/motel room! We all have the right to good sex. We do not have the right to violate other people’s boundaries. AND they didn’t strip the sheets off the bed, even though it is the ONLY check out instruction I have!!! Supremely annoyed.

3 Likes

STOP! They told you they didn’t have sex?!!! That’s hilarious!!!

You might remind your guests that it is written thus:

I say unto you that our God would not want you to call in vain for that which hath not come. Yet – Hark! – His Kingdom dwells in His followers and there, wherever they are, He is, and if thou cometh not yet, let his Kingdom be at hand, for if you will seek to come for God, take thee thy heart in this: he will surely come for you.

[Surely written by a man; 'twas ever thus.]

2 Likes

Unless last minute bookings make up a significant part of your bookings, set advance notice for 1 or 2 days. Last minute bookings can be problematic many ways, and people who don’t plan well are also likely not to thoroughly read your listing info. And last minute bookings don’t give you much opportunity to communicate with guests before arrival.

While I don’t have any stats on it, many, if not most, homeshare hosts do not use Instant Book, so we have a chance to vet guests for “good fit”, which is important if sharing space with guests, especially since you have pets.

Please leave an honest review for these guests. If they arrived after your stated check-in time (you said “late”, but don’t know if it meant that) mention that, the ignoring of “don’t book here if you’re afraid or allergic”, including waking you up early to demand you “contain” your dog, the fact that they were noisy, without regard for the fact that it’s a shared home (no need to mention that it was loud sex) and that they checked out over an hour late. A good last line might be “Not suited to home-sharing”.

1 Like

There is a lot to unpack here.

I get a lot of bookings on the day of check in. It’s a significant portion of my revenue. That being said, I hold all guests accountable for the expectations and make no exceptions unless they suit me.

These guests have earned their less-than-5-star review. Report the facts. Leave any emotion and/or judgement out. The facts tell other hosts who they are. Emotions tells us who you are.

Hopefully their morning escapades were not audible over your zoom meeting.

2 Likes

@thedogshouterer Yes, as if I haven’t been around the block at 60 years of age :rofl:

2 Likes

I have an Airbnb attached to my house but now separate from me. When I started they entered my home and used the bathroom across the hall. I also board dogs in my home and for over 2 years I juggled these two contrasting needs. Amazingly I also had people book my place and then asking for some kind of accomodation about the dogs, but not often.

However, after I retired and wanted to ramp up my income, increasing dog and human boarding, I added onto my home, providing a separate entrance for the humans and an ensuite bathroom. It was worth every penny and if your home could be modified in any similar way I urge you to consider it.

I’ve had over 1000 guests and though I’m sure plenty of people have sex, and I’ve even posted here recently about my opening to having more guests whose primary interesting in the room is a quick tryst, I have only heard one couple and only had a little bit of a mess for maybe two or three.

In your case it seems that maybe not extending hours for any reason would be a good policy. Also the last thing I want guests in this situation to do is strip the beds. I want to go in and examine any mess under the bright lights, identify the locations of said mess and pre treat before throwing in the wash. There isn’t a better location to spread out the sheet in my home than on that bed. I don’t want them wadding up the sheet and transferring the mess to more surfaces like the wall, floor, table or other parts of the sheet, blanket, etc.

The room where I spend a good part of my day is right next to the Airbnb room. I can hear, and even smell (like perfume or food) strong smells, from next door despite there being two doors between us. When I hear guests being loud I sometimes make sure I make some noise, like watch a video on my computer so they are aware of the noise transmission. They also typically hear collars jangling or dogs barking so I think that clues them in.

Maybe if I continuing this hosting thing awhile longer I’ll move my office to a different room but after 9 years, I doubt it.

I love your @thedogshouterer handle, welcome to the forum.

Edit to add: at this very moment there is an uncertain and not that pleasant smell I notice and I don’t know if the current guests are heating something stinky in the microwave, doing something else or if one of the 4 dogs within 10 feet of me here has gas. :laughing:

2 Likes

I cannot do that, and I appreciate your feedback. All of this feedback has been affirming and helpful. I feel a lot better and more prepared.

2 Likes

What innocents those guests were- they didn’t know they were having sex!! Playing ‘horsies’ !!!

2 Likes

Seems we have a condescending and inappropriate chatbot here.

4 Likes

I think you’re right and I don’t understand what his/her/it is hoping to achieve.

Although I suspect it’s some kid who has just discovered chatbots and is experimenting on his parents’ computer.

1 Like

This is a good reason to make joining and participating here a bit harder - maybe a ‘verify’ process so that newbies cannot post or ask questions unless they are actual hosts? Or if the occasional ‘guest’ shows up, that they are confirmed?

The trolling advertising folks could also be screened…

Good ideas, @Rolf. I’m sure that the software can be configured to do so. I’ll have to look - it might be something that only admin (the two site owners) have access to.

In the meantime, thanks to all members who flag nonsense / promotional / spamming posts as these flags allow the mods to deal with them as soon as possible. Never be shy when it comes to alerting us to nutcases. :slight_smile:

1 Like

What I want to know is which sexual positions are most favored by AI chatbots for their early morning “positive and energizing” intimacies with their “partners”. :rofl:

2 Likes

So you just joined this forum and are making suggestions without knowing anything about it.

Your #5 The mechanism for reporting already exists here.

Your #6- There are long-time posters here who may no longer be hosting, for whatever reason, who may still like participating here, whose contributions are still valued due to their experience and insights. Just because they may not be actively hosting at any particular time is no reason to remove their ability to post here.

1 Like

Yeah, no one wants to listen to loud sex. You’re defo not a prude.

Sex is great. But they should try and keep the noise down when staying in someone elses house. Basic good manners imo.